The First Punic War -- Field of Glory II 1 vs 1 Campaign

@chiquichops and I are switching over from Medieval to Ancients and using very similar campaign rule concepts to fight in Sicily during the The First Punic War (264–241 BC)

I'll be playing the Romans and @chiquichops will be playing the Carthaginians and Syracusans.

The Romans open the campaign's 1st Turn with attacks on TYNDARIS and CATANA -- defended by Carthaginian and Syracusan garrisons respectively -- with Western Greek Allies as well. (both defending armies have Auto-Selected forces)

Both sides have one fleet each... but the Carthaginians only receive Inititiative Points from Turn 3 onwards -- allows the Romans the chance to make an incursion into Sicily from their base at MASSENA before the enemy can counter-attack in force.

MASSENA, SYRACUSE and LILYBAEUM are the Victory locations needed to be controlled to win the campaign.

Punic Wars Sicily 01 Rome A.jpg

My Roman army arrayed on a plain near TYNDARIS. (not sure that would match the real life geography of that area ... :p )

The lack of decent cavalry on the Roman side is going to be a real issue throughout this campaign.

Screen_00000010.jpg

Last edited:
What campaign rules are you using?

@Nathangun

We're using an adapted version of the Italian Wars rules (see attached) -- obviously it's cities and not provinces in this one -- using the Initiative Points system that worked well in the Italian Wars and started in our Reconquista campaign.
(I didn't rewrite them as we're both quite familiar with them)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A very simplified campaign version of 1st Punic War in Sicily.

Pretty much the rules as previous Italian Wars campaign -- but cities instead of provinces this time -- and some variations in the siege and naval rules.

One player takes Rome and the other player Carthage & Syracuse ... 8 - 12 turns.

Also, for first 2 turns, Carthage can only defend -- gets Initiative points from Turn 3 onwards to be able to launch attacks.

Rome starts with 3 Initiative points

Syracuse with one IP.

Rome is better at siege craft, Carthage navy slightly better than Roman (reflected in dice tables)
(destroyed fleets get rebuilt three turns after being lost)

Total Victory goes to who controls all three major home base cities: Syracuse, Massena and Lilybaeum.

ARMIES:

Roman (280 - 220 BC)

Carthaginian (262 - 236 BC)

Syracusan (280 - 211 BC)

The three orange pips next to the three major cities Massena, Syracuse & Lilybaeum are fortification strength points that get knocked down with each successful siege die roll -- so could take quite a few turns to capture -- apparently Syracuse was a real tough nut to crack for the Romans.

Both sides have option of using Western Greeks as allies in a battle in or adjacent to a friendly-controlled city marked with Greek Helmet symbol (they are originally Greek colony cities) in a FIELD Battle.

Both sides MUST use Western Greeks as allies when defending a city marked with Greek Helmet symbol in a autopick GARRISON Battle

1724480643454.png

Attachments

• ITALIAN WARS Rules.pdf
    666.5 KB · Views: 0
Not a good start to the Roman campaign in Sicily ... a Major Defeat at TYNDARIS the hands of the Carthaginian General @chiquichops -- well played, sir. :2charge:

If we can't hold off the inevitable Carthaginian counter-attack towards MYALE and MASSENA... it's, in the immortal words of Legionary Hudsonus: "Game over, man. Game over!"

Punic Wars Sicily 01 Rome B.jpg

The single Carthaginian Elephants unit was a real pain ... just refused to rout down and disrupted/pinned down a good part of the Roman left wing.

Screen_00000003.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it's a mixed result so far. The Carthaginian attack on MYLAE is looking good, so far. The Syracusan attack, however, is looking shaky and I expect the Romans will see them off pretty convincingly. I have learned a little about the strengths and weaknesses of both my armies and the Romans, so all good. If I'm really lucky, CATANA won't fall to siege anyway. Sacrifices to the dice gods are being made.

Last edited:
Bad turn for the Romans and a good start for @chiquichops 's forces ... the Carthaginians attacked and captured MYLAE with a Major Victory and the Syracusian counter-attack against the Roman siege at CATANA ended in a Minor Victory.

The Carthaginians earn TWO Initiative Points as well for their success.

Punic Wars Sicily 01 Carthage C.jpg

This leaves the Romans little choice but to use their last Initiative Point to counter-attack the Carthaginian army at MYLAE in the hope of gaining some breathing room around MASSENA.

The situation around CATANA is "contested"-- so battle will continue there this turn.

Punic Wars Sicily 02 Rome A.jpg

Back
Top Bottom