The Guts To Try

A

ACSpectre

The Guts to Try: The Untold Story of the Iran Hostage Rescue Mission by the On-Scene Desert Commander

From one of the highest ranking officers on the ground in Iran comes a no-holds-barred look at America’s brave mission against terrorism

Colonel James H. Kyle was involved in every stage of the Iran hostage rescue operation. As Desert-1 Commander, he alone bore responsibility for the courageous mission. Now Colonel Kyle spares no one, including himself, in this riveting account that takes readers from the initial brainstorming sessions and training camps to the desert rehearsals, the forward staging areas in Egypt and Oman, and finally to the desert refueling site, where he decided to abort.

Colonel Kyle provides honest answers to tough questions: Why were the pilots caught totally off guard by the weather? How did the CIA contribute to the mission’s breakdown? And could such a failure happen again? The Guts to Try is a thrilling true-life adventure story–exploring America’s ability to react quickly, forcefully, and effectively to acts of terrorism.

Mass Market Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Ballantine Books (April 30, 2002)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 034544695X
ISBN-13: 978-0345446954

The recent discussion of the anniversary of the beginning of the hostage crisis reminded me of this book. I read it a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. Lays bare all the mistakes that led up to Desert One.

I don't recall the title, but a pretty good read is the rescue and escape of employees who worked for Ross Perot's company from Iran during that period. That was one of the reasons I was originally supportive of Ross Perot's political endeavors, which was sometime after I had read that book. Sadly his actions in that situation did not mirror the dynamic actions taken in the book.

I don't recall the title, but a pretty good read is the rescue and escape of employees who worked for Ross Perot's company from Iran during that period. That was one of the reasons I was originally supportive of Ross Perot's political endeavors, which was sometime after I had read that book. Sadly his actions in that situation did not mirror the dynamic actions taken in the book.

"On Wings of Eagles" written by Ken Follett. A great read. The rescue of the two EDS employees was led by "Bull" Simons, the same man who as a Special Forces Officer in Vietnam led the Son Tay raid to try and free American POWs.

Back
Top Bottom