"The Horror... The Horror..."

M

Michael Clarke

The well know Vietnam war film "Apocalypse Now" was adapted from a short story, "Heart of Darkness", by Joseph Conrad.

This selection captures the ruminations of Marlow, the main character, upon being witness to the last utterance of the enigmatic and indefatigable Kurtz.

I did not go to join Kurtz there and then. I did
not. I remained to dream the nightmare out to the end, and to show
my loyalty to Kurtz once more. Destiny. My destiny! Droll thing life
is--that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose.
The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself--that comes
too late--a crop of unextinguishable regrets. I have wrestled with
death. It is the most unexciting contest you can imagine. It takes place
in an impalpable grayness, with nothing underfoot, with nothing around,
without spectators, without clamor, without glory, without the great
desire of victory, without the great fear of defeat, in a sickly
atmosphere of tepid skepticism, without much belief in your own right,
and still less in that of your adversary. If such is the form of
ultimate wisdom, then life is a greater riddle than some of us think
it to be. I was within a hair's-breadth of the last opportunity for
pronouncement, and I found with humiliation that probably I would
have nothing to say. This is the reason why I affirm that Kurtz was a
remarkable man. He had something to say. He said it. Since I had peeped
over the edge myself, I understand better the meaning of his stare, that
could not see the flame of the candle, but was wide enough to embrace
the whole universe, piercing enough to penetrate all the hearts that
beat in the darkness. He had summed up--he had judged. 'The horror!' He
was a remarkable man. After all, this was the expression of some sort
of belief; it had candor, it had conviction, it had a vibrating note
of revolt in its whisper, it had the appalling face of a glimpsed
truth--the strange commingling of desire and hate. And it is not my own
extremity I remember best--a vision of grayness without form filled
with physical pain, and a careless contempt for the evanescence of all
things--even of this pain itself. No! It is his extremity that I seem to
have lived through. True, he had made that last stride, he had stepped
over the edge, while I had been permitted to draw back my hesitating
foot. And perhaps in this is the whole difference; perhaps all the
wisdom, and all truth, and all sincerity, are just compressed into that
inappreciable moment of time in which we step over the threshold of the
invisible. Perhaps! I like to think my summing-up would not have been
a word of careless contempt. Better his cry--much better. It was
an affirmation, a moral victory paid for by innumerable defeats, by
abominable terrors, by abominable satisfactions. But it was a victory!
That is why I have remained loyal to Kurtz to the last, and even beyond,
when a long time after I heard once more, not his own voice, but
the echo of his magnificent eloquence thrown to me from a soul as
translucently pure as a cliff of crystal.

Triumphant prose.

The movie was good. The book is incredible. I saw the movie first. I was pretty young but it definitely resonated with me. I read the book quite a few years later and was blown away by it.

The movie was good. The book is incredible. I saw the movie first. I was pretty young but it definitely resonated with me. I read the book quite a few years later and was blown away by it.

Yes, I have just finished reading it for the first time, and it has left me awestruck...

That such incredible writing actually exists seems an impossibility... Truly this was an author plucked from the monotonous buzz of civilized existence, set loose beyond the perimeter of ordinary human consciousness, tasked with dutifully recording its inconceivable limits...

His journey into the Heart of Darkness was Death, really... The void beyond which neither word nor report can reach... The landscape that language inevitably fails to encapsulate... That he managed to return was victory enough, but to so effectively communicate his supernatural encounter seems some sort of miracle.

Yes, I have just finished reading it for the first time, and it has left me awestruck...

That such incredible writing actually exists seems an impossibility... Truly this was an author plucked from the monotonous buzz of civilized existence, set loose beyond the perimeter of ordinary human consciousness, tasked with dutifully recording its inconceivable limits...

His journey into the Heart of Darkness was Death, really... The void beyond which neither word nor report can reach... The landscape that language inevitably fails to encapsulate... That he managed to return was victory enough, but to so effectively communicate his supernatural encounter seems some sort of miracle.

Mikey, your prose is rather triumphant also. Do you write for a living or have you ever though about writing for a living?

Do you write for a living or have you ever though about writing for a living?

Hmmm... No, but It's something I've seriously considered...

My style has always been that of an observer, a non-participatory contemplator...
So I agree that it would be fitting of me to write for a living, to exist in the world of thoughts and dreams...

But wouldn't that be limiting myself? Afterall, what does "Life talked-about" compare with "Life lived"?
Action precedes commentary... Writing about life is woefully insufficient to participating in it...

Kurtz wasn't an idle writer.
Kurtz was a man of action, an unreflective initiator of events...
Kurtz was a man that left history in his wake like so much flotsam, debris in Time's backwash...

It's been suggested to me this past week that I should volunteer in Haiti, lending a pair of hands and a strong back to the relief effort there... It's something I've been seriously considering, weighing my options, coming to terms with just what that would entail, what comforts I would have to surrender, and just what I would have to risk to accept that challenge...

But it's only on the edge do you really find out who you are... Afterall, Joe Conrad didn't conceive of "Heart of Darkness" while staring at the white walls of his Belgian study... He risked everything, put himself in the primordial Congo jungle, met the Devil himself and shook his hand...

My first (unfinished) novel still haunts my hard drive... The thought of resuming it brings bile to my throat... Maybe it's because I tried to write from my study, empty words bereft of wisdom or experience... Lots of Fluff with no substance...

Methinks it's time to get my feet into the wind, plop myself into an intolerable situation half-way round the world, get a hefty dose of the Real... Maybe then, if I survive, I'll have something worth writing about...

Back
Top Bottom