The Killer Angels by M. Shaara

U

USS Wyoming

Finished this historic novel on the US civil war battle of Gettysburg a few weeks ago. Focus was on the staffs of both armies, with emphasis on Lee and Longstreet's conversations and the unfolding of events surrounding the deployment and execution of Lee's battle plan. The Union army staffs and their subsequent conversations are included and makes for a well rounded story.

Although it is a novel, it embraces a historical precision of the battle from the perspective of the commanders.

I think the United States should be grateful that Lee was in command at Gettysburg and not Longstreet, or we may have been irrevocably split into two or more countries.

I still rather watch the civil war movies, but should I run out of stuff to read, I'll remember this one.

I enjoyed this one, and the prequel, plus his son's book (Last Full measure?). Don't miss also the earlier book about the punitive expedition into Mexico, including a young Lee.

Finished this historic novel on the US civil war battle of Gettysburg a few weeks ago. Focus was on the staffs of both armies, with emphasis on Lee and Longstreet's conversations and the unfolding of events surrounding the deployment and execution of Lee's battle plan. The Union army staffs and their subsequent conversations are included and makes for a well rounded story.

Although it is a novel, it embraces a historical precision of the battle from the perspective of the commanders.

I think the United States should be grateful that Lee was in command at Gettysburg and not Longstreet, or we may have been irrevocably split into two or more countries.

An excellent read and I agree with your position on Longstreet. Lee's decision making at Gettysburg was baffling and out of character.

Back
Top Bottom