Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Liberator

Nice, I like that the process is similar to A Scanner Darkly, the 2000's movie, it's cool to see rotoscoping back and the history is really good.

Well, I guess I'd better leave Germania for a little bit and go check this out.
-
OK, watched 2 episodes and I guess I'm.
Really like the Captain Sparks character, but he really should go home.
And I'm having some difficulty with the over the top stereotypical NPC's.
Probably one of those "me" things again. Of course, at the rate they're getting killed, it won't be much of an issue for long.

Last edited:
Watched good chunk of first episode -- immediately: There were NO Waffen SS panzer (or other) units at Salerno -- but they just HAVE to make the prisoner interrogator SS ... talk about stereotypical cliche right off the bat.

Some of the dialogue rather cringeworthy and on the nose... BoB this isn't.

What's up with the weird tiny little shrinking StuG commander?

1605353279499.png

I agree -- bit like a Sgt Rock comic -- combined with Dirty Dozen.

Wow -- 60mm mortar taking out a Pz III ... I'm outta here.

In the first episode three German panzers are knocked out by artillery, including one knocked out by a 60mm mortar. Knocked out in the sense of set on fire and destroyed. I guess you have to accept the bad with the good in a series like this.

In the first episode three German panzers are knocked out by artillery, including one knocked out by a 60mm mortar. Knocked out in the sense of set on fire and destroyed. I guess you have to accept the bad with the good in a series like this.

But WHY THE F***K do they have to include bullsh*t like this? ... using a bazooka in Salerno period too much of a stretch? -- too hard to animate? :mad:

This is a great example of simple negligence in direction. Maybe its a financial thing too. Whatever, they just don't bother to use due diligence in
doing basic research into what they are trying to represent. This could easily have been soo much better if they'd paid a little attention to detail. I mean
its animation for God's sake! They could have done some great stuff. I thought they might be on the right track when the soldiers were warned to stay
out of the trees during the arty strike. There's a +1.
Then? That 60mm taking out the tank almost had me throwing things.

Absolutely understandable.
However... Don't all the people that worked on this have some sense of pride in their work?
Is getting by with the minimum good enough nowadays? Is professionalism just a quaint concept today?
Looking more like it all the time isn't it? And not just in this. :(
Please don't tell me this is the new "gud!" I reeeally don't want to believe that!

I think it is just a simple exercise in leadership. That is how I watched it......all the points you guys have made about realism are very valid. Although one of you guys out there (can’t remember who) did destroy my Stug with a 60 mm in CM. I’m still extremely bitter about that.
Also, I love the old tropes about Americans from different walks of life forming a squad and succeeding. I understand the Hollywood movie issues with that, but still love it.

I watched the first episode and thought it was enjoyable. Little details always bug me (No recoil on the Tanks, hats worn indoors, etc) but overall it was done well. The animation is excellent!.

I think it is just a simple exercise in leadership. That is how I watched it......all the points you guys have made about realism are very valid. Although one of you guys out there (can’t remember who) did destroy my Stug with a 60 mm in CM. I’m still extremely bitter about that.
Also, I love the old tropes about Americans from different walks of life forming a squad and succeeding. I understand the Hollywood movie issues with that, but still love it.
They also examine issues of prejudice such as when the SS officer is interrogating the captured soldier and remarks about divisions based on race or ethnicity in American society and also when the captain chastises the rifle range instructor for his abuse.

But the times when they got simple things a bit wrong when they could have gotten more help from subject matter experts are bothersome. The mortar and the tank is one. Another is when the production team makes both the Americans and the Germans look stupid and incompetent. When the squad was trying to break through the German lines while escaping from the caves and were caught in the drainage ditch. The Yanks had superior fire power, and greater numbers as well as cover in the ditch, yet the Germans who were totally exposed, calmly knelt and plugged the Americans in the head with carefully aimed shots. Who, in their right mind, would stay in the open in the face of sub machine gun and rifle fire and not take cover behind their vehicles? One German actually strolled out on the bridge, totally exposed, only to be easily shot down. Finally one shot from a wounded American was enough to throw the Germans into confusion and allow the surrendered Americans to overpower them. The whole scene was puzzling. In spite of these glitches I am enjoying the series.

Back