Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Tips for not taking >60% casualties? (CMBS)

ARKSh7R

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I first played CM with black sea. I also have CMFI, but black sea is more my style. I like the modern battlefield. But every mission seems to end in either crushing defeat or a significant loss in combat power. My vehicles always end up destroyed, ground teams wiped out, and support assets exhausted. I can never get that sweeping victory over my enemy. I mostly play the battles, since im too scared to play a casualty-persistent campaign with as many losses as i take. So, in general, what are good advices on how to fight in the modern CM games, especially black sea without crippling losses?

:D

1/. Typically in modern, he who spots first, shoots first, and kills first. There is (rarely) any of the pew-pew-plink-plink back and forth of WW2 armoured warfare. So spotting without being spotted is so important.

2/. Therefore: He who is spotted is very likely already dead.

3/. Unless impossible, always try to place troops/vehicles in defilade positions, and hull-down. Front on-engagement are ugly, brutal and expensive.

4/. Do not bother with troops in foremost buildings: they will simply get blasted to smitherens by enemy heavy weapon fire regardless of how well hidden they are. Vice versa: any buildings on the enemy's side: destroy them with heavy calibre direct fire and deny the enemy spotting/ambush locations.

5/. Use you infantry to spot enemy missile teams, then area-fire them with support weaponry to suppress/destroy.

6. Keyhole everything, to maximise their spotting, and limit their exposure and the options the enemy has to engage them.

7/. Try to pair up missile teams without making them vunerable to the same barrage/counterfire. So if a tank is spotted, its is engaged almost simultaneoulsy by 2 missiles, ratther than just one. Hard to achieve though.

8/. And remember that your IFVs/AFV's are just that: support to the infanty (aka glorified battle taxis as well as big metal wheeled coffins). They support the infantry from hull/down defilade possitions. Dismount infantry from them well out of LOS of the enemy. Then use them to suppress potential enemy strongpoints that the infantry spot, without exposing themselves...

Last edited:
Good advise by Gnarly.

I usually don't expose anything before having scouted any place that could have eyes. But if you have Abrams with APS you can take a bit more risk compared to T64BV ;-)

I do like buildings for putting sneaky infantry with covered arcs. But make sure select not the obvious places and be careful. Units in buildings won't be detected by FLIR optics.

Use units with good optics for observation/recon but use normal infantry scout to move to contact.

Use the C2 network to share info among troops.

Don't feed your units piecemeal to the enemy. So if you do anything with tanks, use at least two or better a platoon together. If you have two tank platoons, use both to support eachother.
Same for infantry. If you have made a plan, move all of them to positions to start the attack. Then attack at once, ideally from different sides so you have crossfires.
Use artillery to support your attack. Don't waste all rounds trying to snipe enemy in unknown positions.
Use smoke to conceal your advance. Vehicle smoke can often block FLIR optics.

Last edited:
Back