Trees as cover

Y

Yoozername

I suppose it is being 'looked-at' but the whole subject of trees, specifically the trunks, as being cover (stopping fire effects) is an interesting subject.

When I was in the military, the training NCO's did demonstrations of fire effects of small arms on various objects. Live trees and felled 'logs' amongst them. The NCO's were Vietnam vets in many cases. The bottom line is that many small trees would not stop MG rounds. By that they meant the M60 or its counterparts that fired full ammo. You need a very old and thick tree to stop a 30 cal and 50 cals go through trees one after the other. Trees can stop or greatly decrease pistol (SMG) and even the 5.56mm. But something like a garand with M2 ammo would put a hurt on someone hiding behind a tree.

The main difference between WWII fighting and modern fighting is the body armor that soldiers wear today. Any small cover can be thought of as additional 'body' armor since it may deflect or blunt a projectile. It will scrub some velocity thereby decreasing the severity of a wound.

But WWII soldiers were almost naked to all projectiles and fragmentation. The helmet being the only attempt at saving the brain. Trees can defeat fragmentation much more easily than a bullet so there is some sense in it. But it is probably offset by the fact that trees can generate 'airbursts' that rain fragments down on troops.

I have read a very good report of a US Platoon fighting a forest battle with German infantry. I will try to locate it online and post a link. But basically it describes US troops using the BAR and Garand to shoot at tree trunks at a foot or so above the ground. They did this as SOP without spotting an enemy. The trunks acted as aiming points and the Germans behind them were killed out of LOS in some cases. The report goes on to demonstrate that a soldier takes a tommy gun off a wounded comrade instead of his M1 carbine. The carbine, with its low penetration being viewed as useless.

I don't have hard data yet or made observations. But if they made everything as realistic as possible, the MG42 and the .50cal would be the biggest infantry killers on the field, both being able to punch through solid walls with ease, thus reducing actual cover of units inside buildings to pretty much zero unless reinforced wth sandbags (an option we don't get yet).

I believe infantry in woods get at least some "defensive cover" against bullets - the biggest advantage would be by reduced LoS for the TacAI. We'd need to conduct proper testes to see how much cover a squad actually gets against different small arms.

Wow, what's this from?
I dont think that u ll be getting a responce from him , currently is busy writting open letters at Matrix
forums blaming the naughty boys which are not apreciating one of the Best games ever: PCO.

I have read a very good report of a US Platoon fighting a forest battle with German infantry. I will try to locate it online and post a link. But basically it describes US troops using the BAR and Garand to shoot at tree trunks at a foot or so above the ground. They did this as SOP without spotting an enemy. The trunks acted as aiming points and the Germans behind them were killed out of LOS in some cases. The report goes on to demonstrate that a soldier takes a tommy gun off a wounded comrade instead of his M1 carbine. The carbine, with its low penetration being viewed as useless.

Does the reports tell how large and thick the trees were?

Indeed the .50cal and the MG42 are the main infantry killers on the field.
An MG42 can cut you in half just because of the firingrate and a .50cal literally shoots bodyparts from your body with just one round.

Wow, what's this from?
Pillar, you sir are a legend. I printed off the tactical advice that you (and JasonC) posted on the official BTS forums in the early days of CMBO and CMBB (is it really 10 years ago?) and it has stood me in good stead ever since. Welcome to our club.

You're lucky you have those, I stopped doing it a long while ago and had BFC delete all of it from their boards. Thanks for the kind words!

You're lucky you have those, I stopped doing it a long while ago and had BFC delete all of it from their boards. Thanks for the kind words!
I think there's still one or two nuggets to be found in this thread:
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=96905

eg under Meeting Engagements:

"The victory locations don't mean victory.
Forget the flags.
Just keep an eye out for the key terrain; that terrain which gives you security and firepower."
Pillar, 27th December 2000

Holy smokes! That was a long time ago :)

Some brilliant jasonC posts in that list.

I dont think that u ll be getting a responce from him , currently is busy writting open letters at Matrix
forums blaming the naughty boys which are not apreciating one of the Best games ever: PCO.

Cargol the Troll?

Back
Top Bottom