Utah firing squad execution for Ronnie Lee Gardner

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
The US has carried out its first execution by firing squad in 14 years.

Convicted murderer Ronnie Lee Gardner, who had spent 25 years on death row, was killed soon after midnight local time (0600 GMT) on Friday, hours after a final appeal was rejected.

Gardner, 49, chose the firing squad as his method of execution before it was banned by Utah in 2004.

He was only the third man put to death in that way in the US since 1976.

He was convicted in 1985 of fatally shooting a lawyer during an attempt to escape from a court where he was facing another murder charge dating from 1984.

Just hours before his scheduled execution, the US Supreme Court - the highest court in the nation - rejected Gardner's final appeal against that decision.

Utah Governor Gary Herbert also rejected a request for a temporary stay on Thursday, saying Gardner's legal team had presented no material that had not already been considered by the courts.

"Mr Gardner has had a full and fair opportunity to have his case considered by numerous tribunals," he said in a statement.

On Tuesday, Gardner ate his final meal of steak, lobster, apple pie, vanilla ice cream and 7-Up, before beginning a 48-hour fast.

Gardner's lawyers said he had undertaken his fast for "spiritual reasons", the Salt Lake City Tribune newspaper reported.

'Wild West'
The execution was carried out by a five-man firing squad.

Four of their rifles were loaded with live bullets but a fifth carried a blank, so that none of the men would have known with certainty that he had shot a lethal round.

Gardner washooded and strapped to a black metal chair, with a white target pinned to his chest. He would have been asked for his last words before the execution.

Critics say the method is a relic from the state's Wild West past and should be abolished.

Death row convicts in Utah were for decades allowed to choose their method of execution.

State legislators removed that choice in 2004 and made lethal injection the standard method - but inmates sentenced before then can still opt for firing squad.

I heard the reason some people are on death row for so long is because they keep lodging one appeal after another over the years, smart tactic..;)

EXECUTIONS THAILAND STYLE---MACHINE-GUNNED IN THE BACK

bangkwan.gif

"A white cloth blindfold is applied and the hands tied with a sacred Buddhist cord. Flowers are hung from the prisoner’s hands as an offering to Buddha and a canvas screen is pulled between the condemned and the gun. A target is fixed onto the screen level with the prisoner’s heart and the gun aimed at the centre of the target. The executioner takes up his position, watching another member of the execution team who raises a red flag, and on the signal from the prison governor, the flag is dropped and the executioner fires a fully automatic burst of 15 rounds into the victim’s heart. Fourteen men and one woman faced this death during 1999"

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/shooting.html

Four of their rifles were loaded with live bullets but a fifth carried a blank, so that none of the men would have known with certainty that he had shot a lethal round.

Question for those who fire rifles - can you tell the difference between firing a live bullet and firing a blank based on recoil?

They are probably using a 7.62 or similar large caliber rifle. Large Caliber blanks do a pretty good job replicating an actual shot. But I am sure after a long period of handling, the difference can probably be felt by an experienced shooter.
Lord Bane

While I approve of the death sentence, ( well done the USA for that ) I think perhaps 25 years on death row does seem a long time, also 2 thirds of America still hold the death penalty

:nod:

I'm against it personally, because of the executions of prisoners later proved innocent. I much prefer life without parole to the chance of killing an innocent man or woman. If they're safely in prison, they can at least enjoy the rest of their life if DNA or some other new evidence exonerates them.

Apparently that's cheaper in the long run....not quite sure why, but that's what I hear.

Anyways, doesn't seem like there was much doubt in this case. I guess firing squad could be a pretty good choice on way to go...but if it were me, I'd want the bullets through the head. Would leave a bit of a mess for the family though.

Kind of a gruesome topic, really!

Bundy goes to the chair. Best bit is when the hooded executioner removes the hood at about 3mins 30secs..;)

Metal Chair.....$75.00
4 Rifle Rounds $7.50
1 Blank Round $1.50
Black Hood: $3.00

One more convicted Killer off Death Row..Priceless!

Back
Top Bottom