Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Wasteland 2 (Director's Cut)

I am having a roaring good time playing this game. I nearly wore out my computer (Apple 2e?) playing the original and was very excited when I saw Wasteland 2 was coming out. However, when it did the reviews were luke warm and there were bugs and problems with the game that made me decide my $60 could be used elsewhere.

But now the Director's Cut has arrived (actually it arrived some time ago but I didn't notice) and can be DL'd from Steam for $39.95. I don't recall what the original issues were, but have found nothing to dislike this time around. DL and installation were flawless. It is a turn-based game, although the review at first glance would make it look like an FPS, so high speed twitch skills (of which I have none) are not required.

Check out this review. If you like this kind of game genre I don't think you can find better. Easy "mTk Seal of Approval."

Last edited:
No, although the DL from Steam also includes the original. The 80's graphics are just too hard on the eyes and a lot of text reading given no audio.
Still, I suspect the game itself still might hold some entertainment value, and some historical value as well. Unless you have a lot of free time (and I know you do :D) you should just go to the Director's Cut.

I played, and finished, this (Wastelend 2) when it was first released a couple (?) of years ago. Got the boxed set with the cloth map and everything. Great game! Far better than the recent Fallout games, IMO. Haven't tried the director's cut version yet.

Thanks for the input! I still have this on my Steam wishlist but was close to delete it. :eek: :D

I played, and finished, this (Wastelend 2) when it was first released a couple (?) of years ago. Got the boxed set with the cloth map and everything. Great game! Far better than the recent Fallout games, IMO. Haven't tried the director's cut version yet.
Implying Fallout 3 & 4 can even be called Fallout games.
yl7oBxO.jpg

I'm looking at playing this again given how much fun I've had with WL3.
I played it quite a bit originally, but eventually quit because of a "me" issue. No surprise there.
The story line got very complicated and I compounded the problem by frequent, aimless exploring rather than following the story per se. I like to "smell the roses."
This led to story problems because often I would wander off the story path and bump into story prompts that shouldn't be found that early. Eventually, this
caused me problems that even constant reading of a walkthrough was unable to fix.
Given my recent WL3 experience, and lessons learned, I'm thinking I might have more success on a second try.
Keep in mind this is WL2: The Director's Cut and looking at it it now very closely resembles WL3.
Looking forward to remeeting Angela Deth.

Well, I did it. Actually, I sorta did it twice.
Being me, I installed, rolled my team, and played for about an hour before I realized I'd made a mistake and installed the vanilla version of WL2. Doh! :rolleyes:
So, installed the correct version, researched recommended character builds and launched myself into the southwest US of A (again).
In my previous load I bumped into Capt. Angela Deth almost immediately at the Ranger Citadel! How cool is that!?
This may be fun...if I don't screw it up again.
Gotta go finish WL3 first as that is closing in on the end.
Boy, I got to tell you though. This Director's Cut looks soo much like WL3 it is very hard to tell the difference.
Considering that this version has been available for years, I am confused as to why WL3 took so long to bring to market.

Now I remember why I didn't make it all the way through the last time. Whew! This game requires a LOT of effort. I mean that in a good sorta way.
Every place you go there is soo much to do! Because of that I was simply unable to play it without close scrutiny to a good walkthrough guide. After a
while it all just became a bit too much and tired me out. Hoping for a better outcome this time since playing WL3 taught me a lot about the game in general,
but I do have this https://guides.gamepressure.com/wasteland2/guide.asp?ID=26867 close at had as needed. And it is needed.
-
Game has a habit of giving you a quest, but there is no way to complete it until you accomplish other stuff. This can be extremely frustrating unless you
know to put it aside until later. While constant research will (help) get you through the game it does take some of the spontaneity out of it. Unfortunately it's a trade I
have to make.
-
Gotta go finish WL3 before I spend anymore time with my newish shiny thingie.

With WL3 accomplished I've been spending a lot of time here. It is labor intensive as previously noted.
I was bound to run into a "me" thing...and I did.
I thought I'd accomplished pretty much all I could in Arizona and Ranger HQ had put out a call for me to return. I figured that was to set me up to head out to California and
see what those mysterious radio transmissions are all about. I was sorta right. I get back to HQ and...Gen Vargas is not in his office. WTF!? The only way to advance the story
line is to talk to Vargas, but he is just not there. I look all over the building. Nothing! I even go back to a spot that I thought I need to kill a bunch of raiders and do that deed.
Head back to HQ and...nothing doing! Grrr. As I'm wandering aimlessly around the building one last time, before I go on line looking for help, I head up an out of the way, large,
staircase where there has been nothing there before. Yup. There he is! God Dammit! The amount of time I wasted looking for him... :poop:
-
Turns out the radio board is up there and he's listening to Angela Deth (assigned to Team Foxtrot) report in. She's in a helichopter in CA to get up over the mountains
in order to get the signal back to AZ. Well, she was. The 'copter gets hit with what is likely some shoulder held AA missiles (couldn't dodge 4 of 'em) "and down goes Frazier!"
Is this the end of Angela Deth!? Of course not. We know better. It does give hope that she might be able to rejoin my team in the future at some point though.
-
So my team loads up some extra ammo and LAWS, gets in a helicopter and heads west. We barely make it before the bird runs out of petrol and we make an ugly landing. We have
to fight off some Nuke Dogs as Team Foxtrot's base is being swarmed. Sort of successful. One survivor. There will be no supplies until we get the base up and running and I have to
use 2x med kits to save him. Hmm. Can see where this is going. He says to go check the radio hut and see if Woodson survived the attack. Thereafter we need to rebuild the base
walls to keep further puppy attacks from over running us (again).
It's a brave new world out here.
-
p.s.
Don't believe I've seen these two yet. Pretty sure I'd have remembered her. California Girl?
Could be Angela I guess, goin' with the Barbarian look, but I don't think so.
qYMMgAX.jpg

Last edited:
Back