Wego Real Time TCP/IP

R

R T

There’s a thread on BF that piqued my interest and if it would even work on a site like FGM.
The thread focuses on the desire for TCP/IP play with a 5 minute time clock. The official BF response as I understand it is and I paraphrase here” We don’t think the demand is sufficient enough for the resources and time required, a sort of the greatest good for the greatest number.”
So my question is would there be a demand sufficient to warrant the expense both in time and money from BF based on sites like this?

From my point of view I would prefer a 2-3 hour game vs the slow play by play system in use now. On a site like this the campaigns and tournaments would have games submitted on a much faster basis, possibly weekly.

The big down side is the time difference factor. For a sprite retired gentleman of leisure such as myself I can play pretty much anytime. But for Joe Lunchbucket(USA) punching a clock somewhere while handling RL, playing a European with a 7 hour time difference could prove difficult.
Which means in the long run maybe no time savings as others in the campaigns/tournaments would slow it back down. Which means BF is right and it’s not worth it and the effort would be better spent on fire.

Just a thought.

But I think game that could be saved anytime in order to go with it at anotherday
this will help to be shortened , long PBEM period. infact we have Dropbox + H2HH combo in order to do this already

I've seen little interest in TCP games here. There are few members who can get more than one turn a day out, much less a whole game. Admittedly, there have been a few games where the delay between turns is such that I had forgotten what I was trying to accomplish. And that is especially difficult in the larger games.
With the replacement of the sound alerts in H2HH that I made, if I leave H2HH running I can hear when I have incoming turns and can turn them around in minutes.

I used to play CMx1 with TCP/IP and it was fun. The only problem is that you really need to have a good bit of time set aside to complete it. 45 minute game with the 5 minute rule is still almost 4 hours if it went that long. At least a couple of hours.
I agree with FAC. With h2hh I can do turns pretty quick also. I play on a laptop and either have it in my lap or very near me turned on and the ding of h2hh gets me going on the next turn.

Well it appears that BF has their finger on the pulse and TCP/IP is a item wanted by the few.
Which is one more reason their making games and I'm cleaning toe cheese off my feet :)

Just to add my two cents, I've never cared that they cut TCP/IP WeGo from CMx2. I really don't have 4 hours or so to sit and play a game. I much prefer the PBEM method since you can still have a life.

To be honest, I'd rather like to see BF work on a more functionnal UI for regular RT mode, instead of a halfway mode what would not satisfy neither the PBEM nor the RT crowd.

Back
Top Bottom