Westland Whirlwind

M

McIvan

Just finished the Whirlwind....well, almost - just going to add a little wash to the flap panel lines to define them, then a final matt overcoat. This is a 1/72 model from good old Airfix...I remember making this kit as a boy and it was one of my favourites.

Here's a little mini-paint log of the model which I took because it was my first attempt at airbrushing a plane. Quite pleased with it.

First picture...almost ready for painting here, just a bit of sanding still to do of the liquid putty that I've put into the joins. The gaps are pretty minor.

2009_0620Models-Me2100004.jpg

Below is the model with undercoat and pre-shading done...first time I've tried pre-shading...

2009_0702-Xmas2009-0001.jpg

Dark earth coat on...nice light coat so the pre-shade is showing through.

2009_0702-Xmas2009-0002.jpg

undersurfaces sprayed with sky and black...

2009_0702-Xmas2009-0003.jpg

Dark green camouflage added using bluetack for the demarcation lines.....but you can see I got a bit of overspray onto the dark earth. Cleaned that up with a very light misting of dark earth over the affected portion, which you can see in the second pic. Really pleased with the way the canopy masking came out.

2009_0702-Xmas2009-0004.jpg

2009_0702-Xmas2009-0005.jpg

Props and spinners done....ready to have the undercarriage added and then decals....

2009_0702-Xmas2009-0118.jpg

And here is the nearly completed model, slightly out of focus unfortunately but not too bad. Mozzie in the background and a Free French Blenheim in the fore.

2009_0705-Xmas20092222-0003.jpg

Currently building a little Revell P26 Peashooter in 1/72; contemplating whether or not to do the rigging, and whether (assuming I do) I should rig it before or after painting. Rigging....bleh :)

Excellent work and I liked the narrative. I agree the airbrushing came out very well. I especially liked the effect you created with the pre-shading.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work here.

It has been years since I built my last model ! Maybe I should restart that hobby sometime again !
A brother of mine did built a Airfix Westland Whirlwind all those years back too. Beautiful little airplane !

I'm a bit unsure about the pre-shading tbh. Early on you can see I've left the paint too thin...later shots show a more subtle effect. I get the sense that it needs to be paired with recessed panel lines with a dark wash of some kind...so you've got the darkening paint and then the panel line itself. The Whirlwind, in common with many kits, has more raised detail than recessed, and raised detail is difficult to get a tidy wash onto....better to drybrush it or get the raised line itself with a pencil or pen...but my first instinct is always to highlight a raised line, not darken it, as per my days modelling armour. On aircraft the raised line is invariably trying to represent a gap between panels, not an actual protuberance above the level of the fuselage...they used to do it that way because it was easier to scribe a line into a mould (leading to a raised line on the casting) than painstakingly create a raised line in the mould.

The solution, as a lot of top class modellers seem to do, is to sand off the raised line, scribe in recessed lines, and give em a panel wash. My only problem with that is impatience....I want to get on with building, and then I want to get on to the next one! Which is why I'm now doing my Peashooter instead of finishing off some weathering on the Whirlwind (which I actually quite like nice with a nice clean finish anyway).

Back
Top Bottom