Will CMBN Commonwealth Addition Cause Ongoing Games To Crash

H

Herroberst

Will ongoing games be affected by loading the next module to CMBN? I have heard that it will but am double checking. What a drag to be sure.

I am unsure as to why you ask this here, as it hasn't been released yet. Now that might be true in their beta testing, but cannot see them releasing such a flawed version.

I think what Herroberst meant was that the new version (very probably 1.10) is incompatible with ongoing games of the current version (1.01). This has always been the case.

There is a kind of unreliable workaround where you can try to convert ongoing PBEM games to the new version. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

A better solution is to have two parallel installs of CMBN, one at 1.01 without the module and a new one, 1.10, with the module. All you have to do is copy the whole folder of version 1.01 and rename it to someting like "CMBN old" before patching / updating to 1.10. You can then play both versions independently of each other and finish any outstanding PBEMs.

Ah yes, the old versions incompatibility prob., now I understand the question and it is a very good one as the prob always crops up.

With respect to CMSF, I have never had a problem with taking a PBEM file from an older version and converting it to the updated version. I'm assuming this will work the same for CMBN modules. You are just going to have to make sure your opponant is indeed upgrading to the new module or at the very least, installs the upgrade patch for the stand-alone CMBN. Battlefront usually releases both at same time or about a week difference.

A better solution is to have two parallel installs of CMBN, one at 1.01 without the module and a new one, 1.10, with the module. All you have to do is copy the whole folder of version 1.01 and rename it to someting like "CMBN old" before patching / updating to 1.10. You can then play both versions independently of each other and finish any outstanding PBEMs.

Yes Mad Mike has the right idea. There will be compatibility issue, so your best bet is to follow the about advice. I have two version on my computer. The one I use to play you lot of miscreants and the other one to do the beta testing of the commonwealth module.

Yes Mad Mike has the right idea. There will be compatibility issue, so your best bet is to follow the about advice. I have two version on my computer. The one I use to play you lot of miscreants and the other one to do the beta testing of the commonwealth module.

I renamed my 1.01 exe file "1.01cmbn" and then installed the module to the same folder. I now have an exe for 1.01 and one for 1.10. I tried playing a 1.01 PBEM turn last night with the 1.01 exe and it worked - I think. Is this viable?

eniced73 is correct - work for me as well (I did it in the same way further with 1.00 and 1.01 version)

Little update - change of exe file is working - but: pack of errors appeared for example: driver of my Panther has javelin as weapon :), Truck driver is a "sniper: and many others....

Little update - change of exe file is working - but: pack of errors appeared for example: driver of my Panther has javelin as weapon :), Truck driver is a "sniper: and many others....

Hm, this could be due to "strings.txt" being incompatible between versions.

So the cleanest way of having two versions at the same time should still be to copy the complete folder, which is easily done.
Just comes at the expense of a couple of gigabytes space taken up on your harddisk.

I haven't read all the postings on this thread, but the answer is......

Hell yes they will crash!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom