Windows 7

A

ACSpectre

My wife (the computer geek of the house) wants to install Windows 7. First on the laptop and then, if that goes well on the PC as well. Anybody out there have any experience with this. Specifically how does CM and other games interact with it?

For me it works great.
I have Nvidia graphics card, and i had to do some tweaking (i wrote about that on forum), and now it is working perfectly.
However, if you have ATI card, well...you might have some problems...like no fog, white areas instead of text and similar...

For me it works great.
I have Nvidia graphics card, and i had to do some tweaking (i wrote about that on forum), and now it is working perfectly.
However, if you have ATI card, well...you might have some problems...like no fog, white areas instead of text and similar...

Thanks, Zaraza. I will pass that advie on to her.

From what I have read, if you are installing Win7 that is higher than Home Premium, you can download WinXP VM from Microsoft, which will allow you to run XP programs through Win7. :sing:

From what I have read, if you are installing Win7 that is higher than Home Premium, you can download WinXP VM from Microsoft, which will allow you to run XP programs through Win7. :sing:

We will be installing the Professional version so I will look into this and report back.

Playing older games is pretty easy - you gotta one or two things (just try):

1) Run the game in Admin mode (install as usual).
2) Mandatory: Turn on the 'WinXP Compatibility Mode' (context menu).

That'll do it - you don't need to bother with a virtual XP or some third-party programs - just do the above and you're fine. Has worked for a lot of guys already.

I'm running windows7 64bit on my laptop, on which i also run CMBB, CMAK and CMETO. So no worries. it all works, but you will need the vista patch, and theres a trick for finding your pbem files.
It all works fine for me.

I'm running windows7 64bit on my laptop, on which i also run CMBB, CMAK and CMETO. So no worries. it all works, but you will need the vista patch, and theres a trick for finding your pbem files.

Not quite - CM will actually work WITHOUT the Vista patch - we tried it and it worked. And the Win7 Home Edition might indeed NOT have the Compatibility Mode, so you#re indeed pretty screwed there.

^^
Me to, Win7 64bit, CM runs ok, but it requires additional graphics card tweak, which is done via gcard control panel.

^^
Me to, Win7 64bit, CM runs ok, but it requires additional graphics card tweak, which is done via gcard control panel.

I've got Win7 64bit home and can't get fog. I've done what EG suggested and have started it in administrator and XP compatibility mode. Still not getting fog. what tweaks did you do to your graphics card? I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT graphics card.

Back
Top Bottom