Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

World's Shortest Review: CMBN

Y

Yoozername

After installing and loading first mission I remarked: This looks like 3D Close Combat. After trying a small test with a platoon of US Infantry against a squad of Germans I remarked: That felt and looked like Theatre of War.
Thank you.

I have played it a couple of few hours in sporadic fits. The demo scenarios are not very good at showing off the product. The faults in the product stop me from buying it. So, the demo has not achieved it's purpose in my case.

It would need fixing and a rerelease in my opinion. Hopefully, with some better scenarios also. Why they don't release a small, medium and large scenarios in the demo is beyond me. Or a small infantry, and a medium combined arms, and a big sha-bang with the Eight Air Force etc.

The game release seems to actually 'model' the actual invasion. The invasion took its sweet time and blundered into very bad terrain. Has the demo done the same thing? My history teacher would be waving a stick at them. "Those that don't study history are doomed to...".

I have actually played full PCO games more than CMBN and I haven't played much PCO! Maybe the wargame companies just need to lick thier wounds.

What faults have you found? There's lots of talk and lots of fixing going on and I've come acrooss a couple things I don't like that much either...

This game is soooooo much beter the ToW... Like that game didn't had any flaws :hand:

With all due respect to the OP, infantry in CMBN and TOW (which TOW by the way?) do no not look the same, nor are the way in which they are controlled the same.

I will not go out and buy CMBB/CMBB (I never played them way back when), why on earth should I therefore buy PCO ? Just my opinion.

The only thing that BFC are licking right now is their own fingers, said fingers being sore and dirty from counting the cash that CMBN has raked in. And tbh if they bring out a module for CMBN toworrow I will be the first to throw my cash at them.

I will certainly try the demo again...if it's patched. I tried the original SF demo way back when and deleted it. I gave it another try years later when it was declared 'done'. But I never bought any CMSF or the other CM2 games.

I am hoping that WWII warfare gets a better treatment than CMBN has done so far. I am sure that it can be enjoyed as a game as is. But as a wargame? To each his own.

What would then be your idea / concept of an ideal WW2 game ?

I am asking because we all have certain ideas as to what makes a game good or bad and its always interesting to hear what other people think. Even if one does not always agree !

All games have issues, In CM's instance the 'Grog' community expect it to be of the hightest quality... I found a few things that have bugged me, figured a work-a-round, and keep going until the patch... But when you look at every thing else out there... CM:BN is a couple heads above all else... and yes I like it a lot also... wait to we get the modules, and then the Bulge game.... watch out....:love:

This first module in the series is a classic already IMHO. Look at all the various scenarios, maps, mods coming out already. The patch will take care of many of the quirks and each module will only make it better. IMHO, this gaming community has many, many good years of virtual wargaming with this series. Going to be a lot of fun.

I think it's great, even if it takes my battered PC several minutes to load a scenario and several more minutes to upload a PBEM, but it is worth it. Following a squad on ground level is a mini drama. 3 cheers for BF !

I completed a labored effort to play the 'Closing the Pocket' demo scenario today. I played as the Germans and had a decisive victory with minimal losses. I did well by being bold and also being cautious. FWIW.

But this is my opinion: It is a game that has potential but it is flawed as it is right now. The game 'drags' on me. By that I mean that it takes some needless-energy off my limited pool available for some un-Godly-reason.

Any game that feels like 'work' has its design under suspicion. I just don't like the bad interface and 'toll' that the game takes.

As a comparison, I sort of like the PCO 'slowness' and liken it to games-gone-by. But I expect something like CM to give me a 'full-on' gaming experience that is only limited by me, the Human-Kludge that is interacting with software and computer. I think something like PCO would have just kicked butt 10 years ago but now is just a very niche product. CM should be so much better IMO.

So, for those that like to interface the game the way it is now; Then Godspeed. But maybe battlefront needs to just get its designs or it's basic senses in order. I can't see spending money on something that is a bother to operate.

Its sad but the real way for success for the CM 'wave' is for the origional guys to just give up the reins.

Back