You don't see these every day

steve

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Some photos of a a Volvo I stumbled across a few years ago when I was out on the bike again .......this was parked up alongside a few other military vehicles in a field in the little hamlet of Swinbrook near Burford.

Meander%20012%20%28Medium%29-L.jpg

Meander%20013%20%28Medium%29-L.jpg

Meander%20014%20%28Medium%29-L.jpg

Meander%20017%20%28Medium%29-L.jpg

A 1957 Volvo , originally the property of the Swedish Army , they were used to patrol the border areas close to Russia [ I wonder why ?? ] ..... the body is taken from a 1949 Volvo taxi , and modified to meet the requirements of the Army ...

That Volvo lay discarded in a barn in Somerset for more than 10 years by all accounts , and the current owner [ to his credit ] spent many hours getting it into it's current condition ..a real labour of love .
I understand the engine is a mix of the original 6 cylinder diesel unit , with some Landrover parts intertwined .
He had a sticker on the dashboard , in front of the passenger seat that reads ........

Sit down
Shut up ................. and hold on !!!

Altogether an excellent piece of machinery .

Steve

Unbelievable! This looks like the forerunne/predecessor of our days "Mini SUVs" Vauxhall Mokka resp. Chevrolet Trax and Buick Encore! :eek:
No doubt about it - car maufacturers did not invent something new but looked into the past. Todays SUVs were definitely "inspired" by this Swedish Volvo.

Some examples:

Some photos of a a Volvo I stumbled across a few years ago when I was out on the bike again .......this was parked up alongside a few other military vehicles in a field in the little hamlet of Swinbrook near Burford.

Meander%20012%20%28Medium%29-L.jpg

Meander%20013%20%28Medium%29-L.jpg

Meander%20014%20%28Medium%29-L.jpg

Meander%20017%20%28Medium%29-L.jpg

A 1957 Volvo , originally the property of the Swedish Army , they were used to patrol the border areas close to Russia [ I wonder why ?? ] ..... the body is taken from a 1949 Volvo taxi , and modified to meet the requirements of the Army ...

That Volvo lay discarded in a barn in Somerset for more than 10 years by all accounts , and the current owner [ to his credit ] spent many hours getting it into it's current condition ..a real labour of love .
I understand the engine is a mix of the original 6 cylinder diesel unit , with some Landrover parts intertwined .
He had a sticker on the dashboard , in front of the passenger seat that reads ........

Sit down
Shut up ................. and hold on !!!

Altogether an excellent piece of machinery .

Steve
Damn sexy car.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom