Zimmerit

P

PoorOldSpike

Nice shot of a Kingtigers zimmerit coating in a tank museum

zimmKT.jpg

I've nevere modeled this but I imagine it could be a challenge. I haven't been impressed with some of the "glue on" zimmerit. Then again, I've been out of the hobyy for awhile so maybe there is something better on the market now.

There are some tools about that you can press into putty or whatever you're using to give a zimmeritt effect...but I dare say the average modeller could knock something up just as well.

I don't really like the look of the stuff, so I avoid it if possible....which is usually no problem as the Germans eventually discontinued its use.

I made my own zimmerit for a 1/48 scale Tiger II, it wasn't a daunting exercise but quite fun actually... I simply used putty that is used for plaster walls. At first I was mortified when little bits of it broke away but it added to the realism once the model was finished

Nice shot of a Kingtigers zimmerit coating in a tank museum
That is not just a tank museum. It is my favourite museum in all the world Bovington. Do not forget the Tank Fest this year, about june 21st or so

Zimmerit flaking off a Panther. Being hit by an AP shot (note gouge mark) might have had something to do with it-

panth-turr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom