Naval War College & HMS Victory

My brother and I visited the U.S. Naval War College Museum in Newport Rhode Island last week.

As we made our way through the two sets of double doors of the Naval War College Museum the first thing you see is a large (7x7 foot) model of HMS Victory and a huge painting of The Death of Nelson at Trafalgar.

What the….?

This required some research….

“At the time of Trafalgar in October 1805, 821 crew members were serving on HMS Victory, including 23 Americans. At least another 337 American sailors fought in Nelson’s Mediterranean Fleet at Trafalgar, including an estimated 20 Rhode Islanders. Among the Rhode Island natives was John Johnson, a 24-year old seaman on board Nelson’s flagship, born in Newport. Another Newport born sailor, George Almy, served as the Ship’s Master on board the HMS Pickle, which brought word of the British victory to London following the battle (Wheeler, 2005).”

0jQvCD3.jpg

dw5e3PG.jpg

mfMw4m7.jpg

P2Oaq76.jpg

deErXuQ.jpg

My brother and I visited the U.S. Naval War College Museum in Newport Rhode Island last week.

As we made our way through the two sets of double doors of the Naval War College Museum the first thing you see is a large (7x7 foot) model of HMS Victory and a huge painting of The Death of Nelson at Trafalgar.

What the….?

This required some research….

“At the time of Trafalgar in October 1805, 821 crew members were serving on HMS Victory, including 23 Americans. At least another 337 American sailors fought in Nelson’s Mediterranean Fleet at Trafalgar, including an estimated 20 Rhode Islanders. Among the Rhode Island natives was John Johnson, a 24-year old seaman on board Nelson’s flagship, born in Newport. Another Newport born sailor, George Almy, served as the Ship’s Master on board the HMS Pickle, which brought word of the British victory to London following the battle (Wheeler, 2005).”

0jQvCD3.jpg

dw5e3PG.jpg

mfMw4m7.jpg

P2Oaq76.jpg

deErXuQ.jpg

Good Research Ted and pictures mate

Back