Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Battletech

Looking forward to it. I bought it on day two of the Kickstarter campaign.
(Battle tech was my first miniature ‘wargame’ back in the 80s)

Release was yesterday. Played to skirmishes.
Couldnt Play online as the Servers were down.
so far it is fun :)

I agree. So far I only played multiplayer and skirmish. Love it.

Simply said I think this game is terrific. I was initially afraid that at first glance I'd gotten in over my head as it looks very complex and my grognard days are well behind me. Could not have been more wrong. Between character Q&A dialog and tool tip rollovers this is one of the easier games I've ever seen to get into without a stumble. Add an intuitive UI and some basic tutorial play and it seemed as if there was almost no learning process.

I intended to play until about 00:30 this morning or so. When I checked the clock it was 03:15. Good thing I'm "retired guy".

Just getting to my first real mission and a bit worried as I spent a lot of C-bills ordering repairs to my existing mechs. It's going to be a close call to getting the mission completed and paid before I go broke!

Well, I can run my mechs OK, I 'm just no financial wizard. Had to restart because it took too long to get my mechs repaired to have them ready for a C-bill earning mission and the fixed costs bankrupted me! LOL Restart.

Almost did the same damned thing a 2nd time! Rule #1. NEVER spend money on anything before your mechs are repaired/rearmed and ready for a money earning mission. Came within 2 weeks of financial failure (again). Had to sell a spare mech to make it! Whew.

Played all day yesterday and have a good feel for the UI. Don't have to think about it any longer, just play. However, playng there is a LOT to think about and that's what makes the game so much fun. And it is also what will probably keep the whole thing from ever feeling repetitive or boring. There is always something else you want to get done. Keep in mind I am playing the Campaign game, haven't even looked at Skirmish Mode (whatever that is). And to do that you need money. Piles and piles of money. Fortunately, there is a way to earn a bunch of it. Missions. The game has no inherent difficulty system setting. You make your own difficulty level based on the missions you choose. Of course the more difficulty the more reward in the form of cash and salvage. The game is even unique there too as you can negotiate the amount of cash/salvage you will earn, based on a slide bar for the mission you can adjust one way or the other. Cool.

There are soo many different weapons and stuff to customize your mechs. You can spend an hour or more just getting ready for the next mission. And that, rather than being boring, is great fun. Customizing mechs based on their basic characteristics is a skill you need to develop quickly to have the best chance on the battlefield as one line up of mechs may do just fine in one mission, but fail the next. Always something to do!

One would think that light mechs have little value, being seriously under armed/armored, but no! The Light is my favorite (so far). He scampers around the battlefield, moving all the time, making him almost impossible to hit by just one enemy attack. Moving gives defensive bonuses and if he doesn't fire he can also choose another defensive bonus to reduce damage by 50% if he is hit. Did I mention he has jump jets? Did I mention his pilot can eventually earn the "sensor" skill which when targeted on an enemy reduces its defensive buff for having moved last turn by -2 and allows for your fellow mech to launch indirect missle fire to come down on their head? FDL!

Anyway, no end to fun things to be found in this game. Serious HOF, turn-based war game. Best "mTk Seal of Approval" ever.

You might want to look into it.

Last edited:
If someone is looking for some MP Action - drop me a pm :)

Collected enough salvage to construct two more mechs. HooRay! However, I didn't have enough bay space and had to pick a mech to sell so I sold the light 25Ton because I now had a light 35T. May have been a mistake. My new "light" just isn't as fast and struggles to perform in the light tank role that I want. Of course it has more firepower, but I'm having a harder time getting behind targets to fire into weak rear armor. Going to have to think that one through a bit.

Collected enough salvage to construct two more mechs. HooRay! However, I didn't have enough bay space and had to pick a mech to sell so I sold the light 25Ton because I now had a light 35T. May have been a mistake. My new "light" just isn't as fast and struggles to perform in the light tank role that I want. Of course it has more firepower, but I'm having a harder time getting behind targets to fire into weak rear armor. Going to have to think that one through a bit.

I’ve gone heavy myself. Lucked into two Orion’s and a Dragon. The Dragon is very fast for a heavy. I’ve modified one of my Orion’s to carry an AC 20. For my fourth I switch between a Trebechet or other medium, or a Panther if I go light. Trying to put together a Jenner too.

Reactions: mTk
Back