Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Chinese censorship creeping into Mount and Blade?

Bulletpoint

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I just read some Steam reviews of the new game Mount and Blade Bannerlord, and was surprised to read that apparently, Chinese censorship now applies to people in Europe and America. Is this true?

The review said:

"When you purchase a product, you do not expect to get banned from multiplayer for violating chinese censorship rules. This includes having the "incorrect" steam ID. This affects accessibility of a game feature and hence is a relevant buy consideration.

TW has made some claims to invistigate it, but so far without any further results. TW mods here on steam forums have just purged a thread (instead of at least locking it with a comment why) which called for attention regarding this censorship. Note also, the discussion there was surprisingly calm without getting overboard.

I am glad to remove/change the review when this issue is settled the only possible correct way. "

It always has been true - from the Chinese Government's point of view - they just didn't have the leavers to make it happen. Seems they are flexing their strength more and more.

I do hope that people and companies push back (companies only will if people force them to) and stand against this kind of crap.

Hmmm... it seems to me that in a world where the public debate happens in forums controlled by privately owned companies, freedom of speech is under threat. Because the companies that control the platforms for speech (Steam, Facebook, whatever) want to cater to markets in censored but economically powerful states like China.

At the end of the day, it's not the freedom to speak that matters. Even in North Korea, you can walk out in the forest and say whatever you want about Kim Jong-un. It's the freedom to speak on the medium where people actually hear what you are saying.

Back