Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CM: BS DAR - FIVEFIVESIX STAY OUT!

A

Artemis258

First black sea quick battle! Med size forces meeting engagement!
I'll be the Ukrainians rushing headlong into the evil invading Ruskies. OUT OF MY PRECIOUS HOMELAND YOU RUSSIAN DOGS! *ehem*

Custom rules in effect: APS on only 20% of eligable vehicles (rounded up)
Map:

Force TO&E:

1 depleted Mech rifle battalion (-1 company) in BTRs, with a platoon of Oblats attached!

This gives me two companies of infantry supported by,
-Some arty (bought some extra too! all off map, 2*3 tubes 120mm mortars, 1*3 tubes 81mm mortars),
- Battalion support from an anti-tank platoon (Skiffs and recoilless rifles, re-enforced with two 'shturm' tank hunters) and a grenade launcher platoon (they say happiness is a belt fed weapon, but if that belt is 30mm HE then I think you should keep that 'happiness' in the bedroom)
-And a Recon platoon (Irish Mine Detectors) - to which I've attached two RPG-7 teams in the hope of catching something big and scary unawares.

Pictured: One Irish Mine Detector

Each company command also as a Pvt Ivan with an Igla to scare away nasties and shoot down drones (do iglas work on drones?), and 1st Company get the shiny BTR-4E's instead of those crappy mobile tin targets the rest of the poor sods have.

My strategy? Strength through numbers! I expect the game will appeal to the bloody-minded likes of c3k. Basic SOP is that 1st company with it's fancy taxis will be my assault force while 2nd company will form a blocking force on my right flank - securing the swampland which offers decent cover for my enemy's advance. The anti-tank platoon will be scattered at opportune positions on my side of the map, though the recoilless rifles will run down the left flank and (hopefully) secure that bridge from vehicle advance (though I don't expect them to last long). Grenade launchers will again be scattered, with at least two supporting 2nd company on over watch of the swamp. The idea is sort of 'bite and hold' - seize the major objective as quickly as possible, then defend it to the last man. I want the fighting up close and personal, where the Russian technological superiority (in terms of spotting and engagement range) is negated and my numbers count for more. If forces allow and the Russian attack is sufficiently bloodied I may consider pushing across the river with my reserve force, but given their technological superiority I doubt it.

Each company will keep a platoon in reserve of it's main advance

phew. 8,000 points buys a lot of Ukrainians!

THE PLAN - Blue is 2nd Co. Red 1st CO. and Green supporting assets (namely AT and tanks) the crosses represent positions for the Skifff AT launchers, the rest are tac symbols. Why no tac symbols for the Skiff? Because they're complex to draw, and there are lots of them.Not shown are the scouts because I forgot, but basically there is a section and an rpg team pushing ahead of each main element, and a section scouting ahead of the recoilless rifles on the north flank. My intention is to push these scouts across the river into good OP's to ID and maybe even ambush the incoming Ruskies, maybe force them to slow up. Expected life expectancy upon making contact with the enemy: 30 seconds.

CHARGE!

Scouts forward! Your bravery will be remembered!

A short while later...
Overview, Turn 4
Well I was right in wanting to rush to my forward positions quickly... while most of my units made it to their disembark points safely, a few laggers behind caught it in the face... but before we get to the gory bits...

Overview, turn 4: 1st Co. makes it to the town largely unmolested, thanks to the speed of their advance. Already they are moving to occupy positions in the own on the friendly side of the river, while 3rd platoon holds in reserve at Overwatch village.

2nd Co have started moving down to blocking positions on the southern side of town haven likewise incurred light casualties, however they have lost their company command element to Long range fire. That's what he gets for leading from the rear!

Battalion FO, having achieved a good OP at the train station, calls in the first round of supporting fires from the 120mm mortar battery. Friendly forces have spotted enemy BMPs suspected of carrying enemy infantry down the hill to the east and the plan is to catch them as they dismount and move through the town. Might be danger close for the scouts I plan n pushing into the town proper but eh... War is hell.

AT assets have mostly reached their positions and begun setting up. Reports are in that the recoilless rifle crews in particular are enjoying the shade and the scenery.

Armour takes a casualty from an enemy AT missile, launcher unknown. The remaining tank from the 'open ground' section immediatly relocates to harder cover and gets a spot on an enemy BMP, launching an AT missile of it's own in revenge! I guess it got dazzled though, because part-way through it's flight it veered wildly off-course and missed by about 100 meters or more. So much for 'guided' missile.

Company level support elements (Machine guns) and some of Battalion's grenade launcher elements are following the infantry into the town, with the hopes of taking up short range ambush positions in tall buildings.

Now for some violence:

2 Co. command gets it in the face. Strangely Recon wasn't the first to take casualties...

...But they're close behind. I thought through-and-through was supposed to be a good thing...

This isn't good... is this the one with APS?

Nope.

REVENGE!

Oh dear. I sense the force is strong with this one.

'Guided' missile my arse.

Casualties four turns in:

1 CO: 1 BTR4E (no pic, took a round while returning fire on suspected enemy positions)

2 CO: Command element and MANPAD section. Cowards

Tank Platoon: 1 tank.

RECON: 1 section + 1 RPG team. Eh, they died quick.

Oh well, as C3k would say, you're not in contact with the enemy unless your ptrupen are burning!

Last edited by a moderator:
Part 2: REVENGE!

The next lot of turns came off rather well...

Overview, end of Turn 8

1st Co. Takes contact with infantry the other side of the river and moves to consolidate. I suspect about a company sized element is moving into position across the broad front of houses, and I hope I've reduced some of their number with BMP hits. 2nd Platoon, being the first into town, takes the brunt of the initial contact. Their first squad squad was the first into the village and occupies the eastern-most position, sustained heavy casualties and is now no longer combat effective (21 survivors). However their job is done - they've found the enemy, and MG's from second company up in Sherwood Forest have engaged the buildings occupied. Meanwhile many of 2nd platoon's BTR's are now in hard cover from the enemy tanks and can engage and destroy the known enemy positions with their shiny big guns. The rest of 1st Co is rapidly consolidating throughout the village with each fireteam occupying a single building to divide the enemy's fire and provide mutual support.

View from 1 Squad, 2nd Plt. Or what remains of it...

Suspected fire from a T-90 hiding up on the edge of the woods accounted for two dead BTR-4's. I want these for the city where their cannon can kill anyone hiding in a building and ward off BMPs. Force preservation here just became a priority and ALL BTR's are now rushing to hard cover and ambush positions in the town or at overwatch village. That said, I still have 6 left.

2nd Co Continues to move east into the southern edge of town. Might well attempt a flanking manoeuvre across the river soon, depending on enemy contact. Not much to report here.

I also lost a couple of transports - BTRs mostly - nothing to cry over though.

AT had a field day! Gaining spots all across the map my skiffs and corsairs engaged and destroyed 3 BMP's, two Khizantema's, and a T-90. BTR fire accounted for a 4th BMP. A Corsair also very nearly bagged the T-90 plinking my thin skinned APC's but Active Tree Defence saved it's Russian hide. This time.

My recoilless rifle teams sit, staring at a bridge, picking daisies, and chilling. Because in war people die, and who want's to die?

Armour: Probably hotboxing at this point because they can't spot anything. Though I did get to razzle dazzle one of my enemy's incoming missiles, causing it to smack into a house. Not my house, not my problem.

Pictured - My tank crews

Company level support elements (Machine guns) and some of Battalion's grenade launchers are still lugging it into positions in the town.

Pics fromy my holiday in the Ukraine:

BTR fire chews up an unlucky bmp

T-90 killed. Revenge for my comrades!

Active Tree Defence saves his mate. Damned thing moved to intercept I swear!

Overview, turn 14:

1st Co. The battle for the central town wages on! However elements from 1. and 3. plt are sneaking around to the leftern bride and crossing. It's flanking time!

Current Status:

Coy: Fine. Chilling

1 Plt: 1 casualty
2 Plt: 1st squad wiped out, +1 casutaly
3 Plt: No Casualties

Support:
BTR4-Es : 4 remaining (eep!) Lost 1 to tank fire, 1 to a BMP which is now dead.
Mg teams : 1 casualty
AT teams: Ammo Green, No casualties
2nd Co Is doing much of the same, holding central town and suppressing as they hook right.

Curent Status:
Coy: KIA
1 Plt: 1 kia
2 Plt: 2 casuatlies
3 Plt: 0 casutalies
Support:
Mgs: Ammo Low, no casualties
AT: Ammo green, no casualties
Transports: Who cares? they were mg btrs anyway.

AT assets are running out of things to shoot at. Enemy seems to be down to one BMP and unknown number of enemy tanks, the recoiless rifle guys finally got a chance to shine though, and shine they did, nailing a T-90 in two hits in 10 seconds AT OVER 900 METERS and leaving it burning! Dopey dudes can use that tube to shotgun all the wacky tobaccy they like if they shoot like that afterwards!

Armour: I decided to advance the two holding back at the woods, thinking the enemy heavy assets were hiding. I was wrong. Lost one to enemy tank fire. Still can't see sh*t. Suspect heroin addiction. Survivors will face court martial and then be transferred to Battalion Scout Elements.

Company level support elements (Machine guns) and some of Battalion's grenade launcher elements are now in the town and engaging. Sherwood forest (2 Co) mg's are starting to run down to the last couple of belts.

Battalion AT: Minor casulties, ammo yellow, one SKiff launcher destroyed
Battalion Tanks: 2 tanks lost. Ammo green, condition green on remaining Vics
Battalion Grenade Platoon: Minor casualties, ammo green
Battalion Artillery support: Ammo Green
Battalion Penal Scout Element: Survivors will be given full pardons. We do not anticipate much paperwork.

Probable Enemy forces remaining: 1 T-90, possible 1 platoon T-72B3 though only one has been sighted thus far. 1 BMP in town. Enemy infantry in the town has got to be hurting from the amount of fire I put in and no new infantry has joined the fight there - suspected single company strength, starting to suffer. The enemy also has an attack helicopter flying above plinking targets but the joke's on him; all he's hit are useless transports!

So all in all not too bad. Unless you're a transport driver. Or a scout.

Weirdness;
Some Pics of the weirdness of this sequence:

This BTR took a missile from an overhead Hind or Ka-52 or something AND IT BOUNCED! Here's the shot as it sort of deflected off the spare wheel on the rear end.

Speeding off into the distance

CHARGE! One is about to die...

935 meters. 10 seconds. 2 shots. One dead T-90!

lol @ the irish mine detector. Hilarious. Great AAR. Looking forward to additional posts. btw, the map you're playing on is from the Dueling Shashkas scenario. Fun scenario if you haven't played it yet.

Sadly, my studies got a bit caught up and I had to put the DAR on pause, though the game continued. Unfortunately between finishing the game and Christmas my computer got reformatted and a few other messes occurred. I'll see if I can find any saved screenshots and finish this off!

Wait! spg-9 killing a t-90 at 900m in 2 shot! Give the men a blody medal!!! Also a bounce frome a btr! Weird turn indeed! I hope to see more weirdness from the other turns!

Back