CM Normandy... Battle Front throws us a bone

There was also an update on their new QB system.

Cheers!

Leto

The screenshots look amazing, not that they will look anywhere near as good as that on my hunk of junk lol.

I just read the bone about the new purchasing system, must say it sounds very impressive

As important and far reaching as this rather subtle change is, it's not the major innovation in the new system. The big change is that the underlying capability (represented by Price) is determined by the scenario or QB settings. I can't go into specifics at the moment (and this bone is already WAY too long), but what I will tell you is that the prices are designed to take into consideration conditions which significantly alter the relative worth of a unit. For example, a 75mm armed Sherman is extremely deadly against an enemy which is mostly infantry but not very usefu when facing a lot of German tanks. Or something like AT Guns aren't very useful when you're on the attack, King Tigers not all that good in small thickly wooded maps, etc.

yes it really could be interesting to have great graphics and great playability

Note: Part of the texturework in those pictures is mine. :whistle: *shameless selfpromotion*

Glad you like what you see! I'm sure you'll also like what you get to play - looking forward to play a few game against you guys... :)

yes it really could be interesting to have great graphics and great playability

Yes the graphics are excellent but I hope Bfront are not concentrating too much on pretty graphics and forgetting to make the gameplay smooth and enjoyable.
I won't touch it if I don't like the gameplay.

From what I've read at the BF website and here, it sounds like the game play is going to be great as well.

From what I've read at the BF website and here, it sounds like the game play is going to be great as well.

What you hear at the BFC website is often self aggrandizement by the beta testers. This is just part of the way things work, nothing against the game testers. But I wouldn't hang my hat too much on what they say, remember, they thought CMSF was off the hook too.

: )

That being said, I think that the true test will be on the release when we get to play the demo, and you can decide for yourself. CM, I find is a very personal experience that effects different people in different ways, sort of like religion. Until then no matter what you hear or who you hear if from, it is all superfluous hype.

Cheers!

Leto

So you won't believe me either? Shame on you! :nono: It might not be exactly what you expect, but it will be a pretty awesome game. Just approach it with an open mind and don't expect too much, then you won't be disappointed.

So you won't believe me either? Shame on you! :nono: It might not be exactly what you expect, but it will be a pretty awesome game. Just approach it with an open mind and don't expect too much, then you won't be disappointed.

It's not that EofG, I believe that YOU think it is a great game, but what you think is a great game may be different than what others think. In other words, perhaps it is you that should have an "open mind". LMAO!!!

I most certainly want this to be a great game, but have my doubts as to whether it will really grab me, especially in the shadow of the disappointments in the past from BFC (notwithstanding the great CM series!).

I think that instead of saying: "keep an open mind" you should actually state: "CM Normandy will not be much like CMBO, CMBB or CMAK" so that people will understand that they are not buying a new CM, but a new series of games from BFC that are now considered Combat Mission 2nd Generation.

Cheers!

Leto

So you don't like SF then Leto? I must say i really enjoy it, sure it is a world away from CMx1 but i think 90% of the changes that have been made have been improvements. In fact the only thing about SF that i don't particularly like is the control interface, its a lot less intuitive than CMx1, unnecessarily so IMO.

The greatest improvements have been the lack of borg spotting and the new command and control system, with these improvements I think we will see the effectiveness of weapons such as AT guns (if you can make them pull instead of just push the gun!), IE you could have a Pak40 maul a company of shermans if you manage to button up all the tanks, it won't matter if the infantry spots the AT gun because the tanks still won't be able to see it!

I think all together the CMx2 series offers great improvements in terms of realism

It's not that EofG, I believe that YOU think it is a great game, but what you think is a great game may be different than what others think.

Of course. Wouldn't think anything else. But since I am one of those guys involved and I'm not exactly a BFC fanboy...

I most certainly want this to be a great game, but have my doubts as to whether it will really grab me, especially in the shadow of the disappointments in the past from BFC (notwithstanding the great CM series!).

Don't forget that a lot of the games that are for sale on BFC's website aren't DEVELOPED by BFC, but only PUBLISHED. That's a huge difference. And a publishers not always has much say in how a game actually turns out - only if said publisher pays the money for the development in teh first place, which BFC hasn't for games like ToW.

I think that instead of saying: "keep an open mind" you should actually state: "CM Normandy will not be much like CMBO, CMBB or CMAK" so that people will understand that they are not buying a new CM, but a new series of games from BFC that are now considered Combat Mission 2nd Generation.

Which I already have but seems to be ignored or not read. But that's what I mean - don't EXPECT something like a simply improved CMBO/CMBB/CMAK, but a mostly new game experience. The new CM games are indeed a second and much improved generation of CM games. Again: CMN will NOT be just an improved CMBO, but something entirely else. It will still be CM (meaning: the basic features are still there), but it will play, feel and look completely different. (That will make it totally unattractive to a lot of players.)

Have I made myself and everything else clearer now?

I personally cant wait for Normandy to come out.... the more I play Shock Force the more it grows on me. :)

Yeah it took a long time to get there with allt he patches but just loook at the amount of patches and enhancements the likes of CMBO and BB had before we ended up with CMAK..... have faith gentlemen... we are in for one hell of a ride. ;)

I'm really looking forward to this release, is there any indication of a release date?

Nah BF are being very tight with a release date, I don't think they actually know themselves. I think the most popular theory amongst the community is 6th of June but I for one hope it is before this

Well, we're doing what we can but don't hold your breath. I think the only guy currently knowing the release date is the boss - and he hasn't even told us guys working on the game yet. :)

It's not that EofG, I believe that YOU think it is a great game, but what you think is a great game may be different than what others think. In other words, perhaps it is you that should have an "open mind". LMAO!!!

Cheers!

Leto

Not a big fan of modern warfare. I have it on my hard drive, have played it, but it just does not grab me. I think there are definately improvements, but at the loss of the soul of CM from the first CMx1 series. I have a feeling that if I would have not been polluted by CMx1, I would enjoy CMx2 much more, but for me, the love of CMx1 is its comprehensiveness and replayability: two qualities that a gaming company doesn't really get to make millions on, and thus I understand why the new CMx2 series is built as it is... to extract more money out of us.

I will definately pay it if I like the product.

Cheers!

Leto

Well, we're doing what we can but don't hold your breath. I think the only guy currently knowing the release date is the boss - and he hasn't even told us guys working on the game yet. :)

Honestly, from the sounds of things, your boss has no idea as well. But that is par for the course for this type of process and he should not be blamed for not having a concrete date set... when that happened last time for CMSF, it was a bloody debacle that BFC almost never survived from.

Cheers!

Leto

Not a big fan of modern warfare. I have it on my hard drive, have played it, but it just does not grab me. I think there are definately improvements, but at the loss of the soul of CM from the first CMx1 series.

You're comparing apples and ornages here, aren't you? What has modern warfare got to do with WW2? And I'm not talking about game features, because those will be different (e.g. water, bridges, weather changes).

I have a feeling that if I would have not been polluted by CMx1, I would enjoy CMx2 much more, but for me, the love of CMx1 is its comprehensiveness and replayability: two qualities that a gaming company doesn't really get to make millions on, and thus I understand why the new CMx2 series is built as it is... to extract more money out of us.

Would you care to elaborate on that? Certainly modern warfare isn't to everyone's taste, but how exactly is the CMx2 series made to extract money out of us? And how are comprehensiveness and replayability missing from CMx2?

Honestly, from the sounds of things, your boss has no idea as well. But that is par for the course for this type of process and he should not be blamed for not having a concrete date set... when that happened last time for CMSF, it was a bloody debacle that BFC almost never survived from.

We'll know when we know. And I'd rather have a later release date if that measn that everything's working properly and no thigns are missing. I have been working in the games industry before (though that was nearly 10 years ago) and that is indeed one of the most problematic things: releasing a product too early and before it's finished properly.

Back
Top Bottom