Combat Mission: RISK - version 2

Some thoughts:

- IMHO capitol cities - the way they are now - are a bad idea. You cannot afford to loose it so nations cluster around them. But they are randomly spread over the map. Two capitols may end up bordering upon each other while others sit alone far away from anything. That is a lot of luck right from the get go.
I suggest that players can assign a capitol but loosing it does not end the side. You loose the points and it takes a turn before you can designate another territory as new capitol. The attacker gets extra points for conquering it. Makes them important but not all-important.

- when two sides simultaneously attack a territory the bigger army should take precedence (by purchase value). On a tie whoever submitted the order first goes first.

- demobilising should not deprive a territory of its last unit

- voluntary retreats into own territory should be possible

- how many units can a fleet transport? Is there a limit?

- IMHO capitol cities - the way they are now - are a bad idea. You cannot afford to loose it so nations cluster around them. But they are randomly spread over the map. Two capitols may end up bordering upon each other while others sit alone far away from anything. That is a lot of luck right from the get go.
I suggest that players can assign a capitol but loosing it does not end the side. You loose the points and it takes a turn before you can designate another territory as new capitol. The attacker gets extra points for conquering it. Makes them important but not all-important.
Capitals are not placed randomly -- players place them after the initial draw.

- when two sides simultaneously attack a territory the bigger army should take precedence (by purchase value). On a tie whoever submitted the order first goes first.
Good idea.

- demobilising should not deprive a territory of its last unit
Agreed.

I was thinking to drop that so that combat becomes more bloody and decisive

- how many units can a fleet transport? Is there a limit?
Good point -- I'd say upper limit of FIVE.

@poesel71

Here's an idea how I want to do the initial draw.

Dice throw determines the sequence regimes are drawn.

Then each regime's CAPITAL territory is randomly drawn and placed in sequence.
Then an Infantry Army is placed in all adjacent neighbouring territories sharing a border or a sea crossing point.

Then the next CAPITAL is drawn which has to then be at least two territories away from any other capital or separated by a SEA area and the process repeated until all 6 CAPITALS have been placed.

The remaining territories are then randomly drawn starting with the regimes that have the least armies and territories surrounding their Capital Territory.

If you look at map above ... if your Capital is placed in say Norway, you'd have armies placed in Sweden and Denmark as well -- and then have 5 other random available territories drawn anywhere available on the map. (every regime gets 8 territories at start)
If your Capital was drawn in say Poland, you'd have 6 territories surrounding you and only 1 available for placing somewhere else -- you'd have a solid power block, but be quite vulnerable to attack from all directions.

So, if a capital is placed in Castile -- the surrounding territories of Portugal, Andalusia, Catalonia and Provence are then occupied.
The nearest spots another Capital can then be placed is Algeria, Alsace Lorraine, Southern Germany or Naples -- as they also need their own 1-territory-wide buffer.

I've tried it a few times now and it works quite well with interesting connotations.

Hope it all makes sense :shocknaz:

@Rico - that makes a lot of sense! Well thought out!

Of course there is some nitpicking. :)
With a capital in Norway - why would you get Denmark? There is no land connection.

I was thinking to drop that so that combat becomes more bloody and decisive

It is an additional option for the defender. Stay and fight and gamble for a win. Or retreat and don't fight an already decided battle and save points for not having to rebuild the army.
That option makes conquering more difficult since a loosing defender retains more units.

@poesel71

If your Capital was drawn in say Poland, you'd have 6 territories surrounding you and only 1 available for placing somewhere else -- you'd have a solid power block, but be quite vulnerable to attack from all directions.

:shocknaz:

Why does Poland not have Gdansk and access to the Baltic? (Just being a jerk) LOL

This is an excellent idea and I'll be following the progress closely.

Back
Top Bottom