Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Drifter Man vs CDavid DAR

Congratulations @Drifter Man , the defenses you prepared proved unbeatable to me! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts here, it's always good for someone to see himself through anothers eyes :)
Your first mortar shell really caught me off guard (at the top corner), basically I lost 2 81mm mortars there, couldn't put them to use trough the rest of the game :) When they went back to pick up the weapons, you spotted them again, and rain hell upon them once more :D

My plan was to use my mortars against your MG and ATG positions, but whenever my HQ units or mortars peaked over the hedgerows, they got suppressed by MG fire, only to be followed by pin point mortar fire. This, and the inability to use my tanks correctly led to my unavoidable defeat! So good job, and thank you once again for the game and for the DAR! :)

Congratulations @Drifter Man , the defenses you prepared proved unbeatable to me! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts here, it's always good for someone to see himself through anothers eyes :)
Your first mortar shell really caught me off guard (at the top corner), basically I lost 2 81mm mortars there, couldn't put them to use trough the rest of the game :) When they went back to pick up the weapons, you spotted them again, and rain hell upon them once more :D

My plan was to use my mortars against your MG and ATG positions, but whenever my HQ units or mortars peaked over the hedgerows, they got suppressed by MG fire, only to be followed by pin point mortar fire. This, and the inability to use my tanks correctly led to my unavoidable defeat! So good job, and thank you once again for the game and for the DAR! :)
Thanks @CDavid again for a good fight. It seems that the priority I gave to attacking your mortars paid off to me. CM makes this too easy by clearly marking opponent's crew-served weapons (as well as HQ's), so you know what to target first. If everything was just generic infantry unless you happen to spot the main weapon itself, or say a radio set, it would be much more difficult to speculate what I should hit and what I should let live.

Turn 27 and aftermath. We agreed on a ceasefire in the end, instead of a surrender, and the ceasefire came into effect after one more turn that did not see any new major developments.

Turn27_overhead.jpg
AAR.jpg

I received 750 points for holding the objective and 123 for enemy casualties. My opponent received 47 points for casualties.
U.S. lost 201 men in the battle, about twice as many as I could directly see during the fight. Even though there are many green icons visible in the woods of the "Arrow", most of them are wrecked units. However, there still are a few coherent teams that I would struggle to clear out. All in all I wouldn't be able to force a surrender, even if there were no tanks, and it wouldn't make sense to try.

CDavid's setup used a Rifle 44 Battalion structure, retaining the Battalion HQ and the Pioneer platoon, but only two rifle companies with two rifle platoons each. One company also retained its weapons platoon (2 x M1919A4 MMG, 3 x 60mm mortar). In addition, he had the weapons company minus one MG platoon and all mortars were on-map (so 4 x M1917A1, 6 x 81mm mortar). He did have a few bazookas integrated in the rifle squads but kept them in reserve on jeeps, to deploy them fast if the need should arise - but it didn't. I found 12 jeeps on the map, of which 2 were accidentally lost to nearby mortar hits. The infantry had Veteran experience with the exception of some HMG teams, which were Crack. All AFVs (two M4A3(76)W Shermans and three M10s) were Crack. Leadership and motivation modifiers were at typical levels.

I can't tell for sure if there were any off-map assets but I don't think so.

I lost 50 men: 6 to AFVs, 14 to mortar teams (half and half 81mm and 60mm), 7 to machinegun teams and 23 to other (i.e. other infantry combat).
My opponent lost 201 men: 9 to ATG's (mostly vehicle crews), 68 to mortar teams, 65 to machinegun teams, 31 to sniper teams and 28 to other (HQ teams, ammo bearers).

I dont know if it is a good idea to be counting on a mortar round to land in an open top turret. Yeah it would be great of is happened. But the odds of it happening.....

CM makes this too easy by clearly marking opponent's crew-served weapons (as well as HQ's), so you know what to target first. If everything was just generic infantry unless you happen to spot the main weapon itself, or say a radio set, it would be much more difficult to speculate what I should hit and what I should let live.

What difficulty setting did you play on? Higher settings hide this info.

Judging by the previous screenshots it looks like Elite difficulty, so I'm sure he means when you click on an enemy unit and it'll show that info in the unit panel.

I dont know if it is a good idea to be counting on a mortar round to land in an open top turret. Yeah it would be great of is happened. But the odds of it happening.....
In my test, crack mortar crews were quite good at achieving direct hits at ~150 meters after the first minute. So I think it is doable.

Iron - but as @hungry animals said, I meant the unit information you see on the panel after clicking on the contact icon.

Back