Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Extracting maps?

Hohenfels

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I have made a few attempts in the past to swap maps between the different CMx2 versions, with varying degrees of success. Sometimes it is enough to adjust a hex number to the respective CMx2 version with a hex editor to load the map into the editor of another CMx2. However, this still often goes wrong. So I thought about transferring the somehow packed and/or encrypted map data into a raw form or extracting, analyzing and cleanly transferring the contained data.
Mad Mike (from the Battlefront forum) for example, had some success reading out the scenario parameters. Has anyone ever achieved more than that, or could one achieve more with the same technique?

Some individual scenarios or maps can be transferred with the known change of a hex number in the .btt file. I guess that is the case here. But that is not what I mean.
I've written a PM to Mad Mike, unfortunately I didn't get an answer.

Just a few things I would like to see Battlefront do with respect to CM maps:
1. Transferability between games (possibly through an intermediary 'converter')
2. Ability to cut and paste parts from one map to another.
3. Ability to rotate in 90 degree increments.
4. Rivers that can run downhill (i.e. do not universally default to lowest level throughout their whole length)
5. Embrace Falaise's 22.5 degree roads for all road types
I suspect that these things could all be done as add-ons or updates and not require complete reprogramming

I completely agree with this. Most of all I don't understand why point one is not possible, the subroutine for the maps is always the same anyway, anything else would be programming nonsense.
The same goes for point 4, at least if you start from a stream, not a wide river.
What I don't understand at all is why they changed the way you could make roads and paths in CMx1. The CMx2 system is unnecessarily complicated in that point without bringing more variety.

For CMx1 there was a program that read out the graphical representation of terrain titles (in the editor view). Kind of ORC for terrain.

But that was much simpler in CMx1, where each tile could for the most part only have one attribute. Now it is multiple. I think to do the same stunt today you would also have to "wash" the map setting the title to "none" in all but one categories. That is highly frustrating programming.

Back