Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Fortified Mailbox (USA law)

Meat Grinder

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score

This lawsuit went all the way up to the Ohio Supreme Court. @Buckykatt you live in Ohio, correct?

For those across the pond, we are the United STATES, so each state has it's own laws and courts, subject to federal laws, of course.

TLDR: Landowner got tired of his mailbox being knocked down/demolished, whether by criminal behavior or just by accident, and constructed a very sturdy mailbox. Some guy ran into it and, as a result, became paralyzed and sued landowner for compensation. The lawsuit got escalated to the Ohio supreme court, and they found the landowner NOT liable.

This lawsuit went all the way up to the Ohio Supreme Court. @Buckykatt you live in Ohio, correct?

For those across the pond, we are the United STATES, so each state has it's own laws and courts, subject to federal laws, of course.

TLDR: Landowner got tired of his mailbox being knocked down/demolished, whether by criminal behavior or just by accident, and constructed a very sturdy mailbox. Some guy ran into it and, as a result, became paralyzed and sued landowner for compensation. The lawsuit got escalated to the Ohio supreme court, and they found the landowner NOT liable.
Yes, NW Ohio, I had my mailbox smashed by some young hoodlums maybe 10 years ago now. It was a rural mailbox on a 4x4 post. My son fabricated a post for me out of square steel and I bought an extra heavy duty mailbox for it. The post is down 3 feet and cemented. If someone hits it they will be sorry. IMG_1339.jpeg

I understand it's a federal offence to mess with USPS property. Does that go for your mailbox too?

I believe the orange one next to the mailbox is for a newspaper delivery(?)
It's against the law to put anything other than U.S. Mail in a mailbox.

I worked for the 2020 Federal Census and we were not even allowed to put the questionnaire in the mailbox.

That's a good question. Perhaps @Nort may shed some light. I'm leaning towards yes, it does, even if it is a rural mailbox that the landowner purchased and installed.
Yes. If someone messes with you personal mailbox, they are committing a federal crime.

However, in California, no DA would care enough to prosecute.

I believe the orange one next to the mailbox is for a newspaper delivery(?)
It's against the law to put anything other than U.S. Mail in a mailbox.

I worked for the 2020 Federal Census and we were not even allowed to put the questionnaire in the mailbox.
Yep for the newspaper

I love the USPS. A great institution, run as a service for the country, not like the privatised shit run for huge profits they have in the UK.

Back