Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Glitch when installing CMFI/GL

Concord

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Hiya. Hope it's okay to post this here.
A while back I got a new comp. I've had trouble reinstalling CMFI/GL.

I installed CMFI/GL bundle, patch 1.12, and v3 upgrade.
But for some reason, once completed, it doesn't allow me to load PBEM games,
saying that GL isn't installed.

I forced my anti-virus to ignore the CMFI folder and uninstalled/reinstalled, but hasn't fixed it.

Has anyone had a similar problem that could provide an insight?

Hey thanks Mad Mike.

I just did an experiment.
First, I uninstalled, and did a fresh install of the CMFI/GL bundle.
It started fine, no activation needed. My PBEM files were available (not greyed out).

Then, I installed the patch to v1.12.
Started it, and again, everything just fine.

Began installation of v3 upgrade, and got the message again of:
An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:
MoveFile failed; code 5.
Access is denied.

I aborted the install, and removed read only status from the modules folder.
Second time, install went through seeming without a hitch.

However, when starting the game, again my PBEM's are greyed out, saying
that the Gustav Line module is required.

So it must be the v3 upgrade that is causing the problem.
I'm going to download the upgrade again, to eliminate the possibility of a corrupted download.

I'm still working on this problem.

I determined that the installation of the CMFI/GL bundle, and the 1.12 patch works fine.

The problem was (and remains to be), the v3 engine upgrade.

I've found some posts of similar problems with other games, and it tends to be an anti virus issue. The AV blocks the process, and typically, the updating file disappears as a result (in this case, the "CMFI GustavLine Module.exe disappears from the Modules folder).

However, I've got an exclusion set for my AV on the entire Combat Mission Fortress Italy folder and all its subfolders. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling and then running the v3 upgrade from a folder within the exclusion, but the same thing keeps happening. Grr.

My AV is managed offsite by my IT supplier, and I can't simply turn it off temporarily. So I may need to pay them to fix the problem. I'll reasearch it a bit more to see if I can work it out for myself first.

I'm unwilling to just give up, because I have some pbem matches underway, and I just joined a group campaign that uses it.

I had some problems with CMBN v3, turns out due to size of v3, it was timing out and not loading the entire file. I had to switch how I was DLg the program. Once I switched all was fine. Don't know if that is the cause for your problem, but another path to check out just in case.

Thanks Facman and Nathangun.

It seems that the problem may lie in the encryption that v3 uses during install.

My AV is managed offsite, so I will contact my IT guys tomorrow and see if they have ideas on how to get around it.
I would have thought that the exclusion that has been placed on the folder would be enough,
but the actual process of the installation is probably still getting flagged.

I was able to install the whole game just fine using the same files, when I had my old AV.

Hiya Nathangun! Having a good weekend?

Other than narrowing down where the problem lies, no.
I'm going to contact my IT supplier on Monday.
I'll post with the results.

Well, it is certainly an anti-virus issue causing the problem, specifically with the v3 engine upgrade.

Even though there is an exclusion placed on the entire Battlefront folder, when the game starts, something in the process causes my AV to tackle it, making the game unuseable until I re-install everything.

I've asked my I.T. guys to investigate a work around, but at this stage it looks like the only solution might be a change in AV - although no guarantees that it wouldn't happen with a different AV product.

Fixed. I had to change anti-virus program from Bit Defender to Webroot.

Neither myself nor my IT guys could get Bit Defender to ignore the v3 engine upgrade. I was using an odd reseller version they supplied me with, which allowed very little control from my end.

I reinstalled CMFI/GL (for about the 30th time!), and it all went smoothly this time and works without problems now.

Game on!

Back