Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Gun talk

I can get 2 Rugers (one for each hand and 10 available rounds) for the cost of the 627 and have plenty left over for ammo. :p
Surprisingly, my wife saw the Ruger video on screen and said "Good idea!"

You will find that little guns are harder to shoot than big ones.

Good luck with your dual wielding.

Two days into gun ownership with an H&K VP 9 intended for home defense and range use. Went into the shop, salesman showed me a Glock 17, and an S&W M&P. He claimed to be an Afghan vet with an additional 10 years over there as a contractor, and owened the S&W himself. Then he showed me the H&K which felt better in my hand than the other two.
Any thoughts or opinions?

I'm going to also echo what @Nemesis and @Wellsonian have pointed out. Hard to beat a shotgun for home defense. If your reason for buying a firearm is strictly home defense, and you don't plan to carry, a Mossberg 500 is hard to beat, and it doesn't take much training to learn to use it. I only keep two guns loaded and outside my gun safe. Upstairs I have my Ruger Speed Six .38 special, downstairs I have my Mossberg 500 loaded with #4 buckshot. If you have young children/grandchildren who visit, you will need to be mindful of where you keep your gun. I don't, so ease of access is all I care about.

Two days into gun ownership with an H&K VP 9 intended for home defense and range use. Went into the shop, salesman showed me a Glock 17, and an S&W M&P. He claimed to be an Afghan vet with an additional 10 years over there as a contractor, and owened the S&W himself. Then he showed me the H&K which felt better in my hand than the other two.
Any thoughts or opinions?

We are living in a Golden Age of handguns. All of the guns you mentioned are solid. The big question is how well do they fit your hands?

I love CZs. Many hate them.

At the same time, many love 1911s. I shot one in competition for about a year. I accidentally dropped 1911 magazines all the time. Nothing wrong with the gun. I love a lot about it. It just didn't fit my hand well.

I would rent the guns and spend significant time shooting them. Choose the one that fits your hands the best. All of the guns you mentioned are reliable and accurate.

The Bay Area is not exactly chock full of gun ranges. Really only one now within reasonable driving distance. And they don't do gun rentals.
Then I just saw that the 3 pistols I was interested in don't seem to be available in CA. So, I guess I'm just going to have to visit a nearby gun
shop, see what they have or can get, and try 'em on for size. Having to rely upon gun shop employees for anything is a little disturbing.
Next up on the list is a Glock. Maybe a 19? What say you?
I'm only in this predicament because the 1911 I had for years and years was stolen about a year ago.. I have no idea by whom. No forced entry.
Don't get me started.

The Bay Area is not exactly chock full of gun ranges. Really only one now within reasonable driving range.
Then I just saw that the 3 pistols I was interested in don't seem to be available in CA. So, I guess I'm just going to have to visit
a nearby gun shop and try 'em on for size. Having to rely upon gun shop employees for anything is a little disturbing.
Next up is a Glock. Maybe a 19? What say you?

Glock 19 is a very proven and reliable semi-auto. IMO, you are still enamored with owning a "semi-auto". Too much John Wick, perhaps?

What say I? Same thing I said earlier. Revolver. .38 special, get a Ruger or a S&W.

It looks like I can't get a Ruger in CA.
I'm only leaning towards a semi-auto because I don't like the limited rounds in a revolver load.
With my Ruger and S&W M&P EZ off the table I'm back to full shopping mode.

So, you think a semi-auto handgun has unlimited rounds?

Here is the thing, buddy, you are a California noob at guns. You basically don't know shit from shinola. I say this in the most loving way I know how to. :)

The Bay Area is not exactly chock full of gun ranges. Really only one now within reasonable driving distance. And they don't do gun rentals.
Then I just saw that the 3 pistols I was interested in don't seem to be available in CA. So, I guess I'm just going to have to visit a nearby gun
shop, see what they have or can get, and try 'em on for size. Having to rely upon gun shop employees for anything is a little disturbing.
Next up on the list is a Glock. Maybe a 19? What say you?
I'm only in this predicament because the 1911 I had for years and years was stolen about a year ago.. I have no idea by whom. No forced entry.
Don't get me started.

Don't Impulse buy. Listen to the gun salesman, take notes and leave, then talk to other gun owners before you make that first buy.
Almost every first time gun owner I have known or met hates the first handgun they buy.

And don't rule out a revolver. Revolvers are simple, easy to operate in a tense situation, don't jam and can be reloaded with a speed loader damn near as fast as an autoloader.

Don't Impulse buy. Listen to the gun salesman, take notes and leave, then talk to other gun owners before you make that first buy.
Almost every first time gun owner I have known or met hates the first handgun they buy.

And don't rule out a revolver. Revolvers are simple, easy to operate in a tense situation, don't jam and can be reloaded with a speed loader damn near as fast as an autoloader.
All decent points except don't listen to the gun store salesman.

The way that they get paid distorts what they tell you. Kimber will actually pay the salesman bonuses, for example. Some stores get more money if they reach a certain sales threshold. The old joke was that Springfield Armory was "hands down the best" until it changed its incentive program.

The majority of gun store salesmen are terrible shooters. The majority of police and military are terrible shooters. Keep in mind, there is a lot of posturing by people who can't actually shoot.

Find EXPERIENCED and SKILLED shooters and speak to them. Benefit from their experience.

I find competitive shooters to be the best. Go to a match and just watch and ask questions. They won't mind. Or take a course and speak to the instructor and your classmates who actually shoot well.

Back