Hedgerow Tourney Archive - for tactical study

Fortunes of war #2...this time the luck swings my way as Jonny's Churchill blasts my PzIVH at pointblank range only to see its shot ping harmlessly off!
Seconds later the panzer swung its turret and fired back, scoring an upper hull partial pen but it was enough to slay the beast..

jonn-pb-1.gif

The way this game works, he must have been aiming at the front of the tank which put the shell at such an obtuse angle it had no option to bounce off, if he'd have aimed 1' to the left he'd still be alive.

Yes the front hull was about 45 degrees to the Churchill, no wonder the shot bounced.
It also happened in the previous screenshot where my panzers shot bounced off Nort's Churchill which was also about 45 degrees..

As the game against Rico enters its final stages, I keep my British right-flank offensive going (1) but pay a heavy price- 3 wrecked Churchills (X's).
The panzer at top right and a gun in the hedge were knocked out earlier but now Rico commits another panzer at '2' with a classic shoot and scoot which knocks out my 3rd Churchill.
Meanwhile my PIAT guy at '3' has sneaked up and gets a shot at the panzer (harmless partial pen)..

Rico-flank.gif

Jonny's Churchills cave in my right flank!
Crashing through the hedges, they quickly overwhelm my two panzers..

Jonn-brtru.gif

I divert 3 x Churchills to cross the road but ACSpectre has it covered with his panzers and quickly knocks one out as it struggles through the hedge..

ACS-pz.gif

RESULT JUST IN
(Game 1/14)

POS v Rico = Draw
(POS 51%: Rico 49%)
Tank losses- POS 3/9: Rico 2/3

Endgame screenshot:- wavy lines are final front lines; X's mark tank wrecks: white dotted arrows show main tank thrusts.
I went for a big push down my right flank and lost 3 Churchills for my trouble as Rico bled me white and stalled my attempt to capture the small flag at bottom right..

ric-end3.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT LEADER BOARD
(colour indicates side)

1st- Rico: score minus 2 (draw, Rico 49%: POS 51%)
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th
10th
11th
12th
13th
14th

RESULT JUST IN
(Game 2/14)

POS v Jonny
Winner: Jonny, minor vic 63%: 37%
Tank losses- POS 3/3: Jonny 3/9

Endgame screenshot:- wavy lines are final front lines; X's mark tank wrecks: white dotted arrows show main tank thrusts.
Despite overunning a huge tract of German territory, the loss of 3 Churchills held Jonny's win down to a minor.
My German infantry were useless, they were blown away as soon as they opened up; i should have given them lots more HMG's at the scen design stage to pin down the Brit infantry so that the Churchills would have to come on alone onto my pfausts..

Jony-end-1.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT LEADER BOARD
(colour indicates side)

1st- Jonny: score plus 26 (minor vic to Jonny, 63%: 37%)
2nd- Rico: score minus 2 (draw, Rico 49%: POS 51%)
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th
10th
11th
12th
13th
14th

I concentrate my 3 panzers to meet Nathangun's main Brit thrust on the right, but 3 Churchills sneak up from top left and knock out 2 panzers in quick succession..
EDIT- next turn the third panzer was knocked out, signalling the collapse of my whole right flank..

Nat-chur.gif

Hitler receives the bad news-
hit.jpg

Friendly fire incident- Nort's Hurricane rockets his Churchills..

Nor-fre1.gif

nort-fre2.gif

And in another game my own Hurricane strafed my Brit infantry with cannon fire

One weird thing did happen though -- that PzIV I gave the shoot 'n scoot command to, had a tight, yet clear LOS into the field you were advancing your Chruchill's into -- after the air attack, even after the dust cleared, the LOS was gone -- hence I reversed him and then had him advance again on a new line. Is it possible the impact of the rockets moved the PzIV??

Cmak is notorious for dust messing up LOS all the time, send me a few files (and password) for around that turn and i'll analyse what happened.
Sometimes if a tank is attacked and slightly hurt in Cmak and Cmbb it pops smoke grenades that block LOS, but the smoke won't show up for a few seconds even though it's there.
I once spent ages analysing a file before I spotted a tiny smoke cloud the size of a brussel sprout which hadn't blossomed yet, but it was still blocking LOS.
To analyse smoke easier, hit Shift-I to cycle to the basic 'solid' smoke graphic (Fast and compatible) because it shows up better than the 'realistic' (High quality) translucent smoke graphic

I fired those smoke shells the previous turn to shield my 7x Churchills and now order them to advance (1), what could possiby go wrong?
Oops..one of ACSpectres PzIVH's comes bursting out of the smoke (2) with its gun blazing, followed by another panzer just behind it..

ACS-smok.gif

The battle for the town begins as Ratzki's Tommies occupy the church in strength..

Ratz-town.gif

RESULT JUST IN
(Game 3/14)

POS v Ratzki
Winner: Ratzki, minor vic 61%: 39%
Tank losses- POS 3/3: Ratzki 4/9

My Germans couldn't resist Ratzkis overwhelming Brit pressure but at least they knocked out 4 Churchills to hold down the vic level..

ratz-end.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT LEADER BOARD
(colour indicates side)

1st- Jonny: score plus 26 (minor vic to Jonny, 63%: 37%)
2nd- Ratzki: score plus 22 (minor vic to Ratzki, 61%: 39%)
3rd- Rico: score minus 2 (draw, Rico 49%: POS 51%)
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th
10th
11th
12th
13th
14th

Close air support--perhaps TOO close for Cargol's comfort-- as his Hurricane rockets my German garrison under the flag, clobbering its own nearby Churchills at the same time..

Carg-air.gif

Back
Top Bottom