Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Hold Fast : Nations at War

Bought this long ago on a Steam sale but haven't installed it. Looks pretty fun. Did you try using that little cannon mounted on the wall?

If FGM ever decide to try this one together, I'm in.

Looks like a fun game Bootie. Seems like it has a lot of players on the servers.

I don't get it. And this is (probably) one of those strictly "me" issues.
Here's what I see when I watch FPS games like this.
---
Pick a soldier. Any soldier will do because you're a private and you suck.
Spawn.
Look around on world map. No idea where the enemy is.
Run after a fellow soldier on the premise he must know where he's going. He doesn't.
Run, run. Run. Catch up to fellow soldier and others. They are shooting. No idea at what.
Run, run and get behind cover. Peek over and see smoke in the distance. Fellow soldiers are shooting at smoke so you do to.
Do nothing for 20 seconds while reloading.
Look over cover again. Everybody but you has moved forward so run, run. Run.
Catch up and shoot at smoke again.
Reload. Look around at fellow soldiers shooting at distant smoke.
Look over cover and shoot at smoke.
Get shot twice. Die.
Respawn.
Repeat.
---
Must be more to it then that, but that's all I see.

Not your cup of tea @mTk? :D

I can provide another perspective, because I think you are secretly dying to play games like these. :giggle:

Like any game, you suck to begin with. Then you learn how it all works and...are better.

Obviously a game like this provides a particular flavour, with its historical setting.
Another of similar ilk is War of Rights, set during the American civil war.
I also own this after a Steam sale, but haven't installed it yet.

These games can be fairly immersive and feel like you're witnessing an historical event and taking part.
Like minded players will stick with a game like this, and really get into it.
Communicating with other players (experienced and newbies alike) to use tactics against the enemy.
It can be a new level of fun and excitement to experience this.

Often, regular players will band together into clubs and clans, and do training sessions using tactics from the period.
When I played Post Scriptum and Hell Let Loose there were groups like this as well, and clans would play different games, but always trying to work as a team.
Different clans would get together and organize a day and time for friendly matches against each other.

As an additional note, some serious players will really get into the role playing in these games.
Some are just funny, but some were so good that they really added to the whole experience.
Hearing your group commander shouting orders in a voice that sounds like he could be right out of the period can give you goosebumps.

Reactions: mTk
I see both points of view... however Ive played it a bit and went from no kills and lots of deaths to my latest being an 8 kill streak. I agree wtih mTk about the run to the front die or kill... spawn... run to front... whats good about this is it is weight of numbers that actually pushes the enemy back.... there is always one more push to take that defensive line of sandbags.... take that crest... you may die but get back in the battle as quick as you can... then we have the enemy doing the same... rushing men into the breach... trying to flank... counter attack... it does get quite tense but I have to say the voice comms really irk me.... its full of idiots playing rave msic or burping most times so I disable it.

Here's what I see when I watch FPS games like this.
---
Pick a soldier. Any soldier will do because you're a private and you suck.
Spawn.
Look around on world map. No idea where the enemy is.
Run after a fellow soldier on the premise he must know where he's going. He doesn't.
Run, run. Run. Catch up to fellow soldier and others. They are shooting. No idea at what.
Run, run and get behind cover. Peek over and see smoke in the distance. Fellow soldiers are shooting at smoke so you do to.
Do nothing for 20 seconds while reloading.
Look over cover again. Everybody but you has moved forward so run, run. Run.
Catch up and shoot at smoke again.
Reload. Look around at fellow soldiers shooting at distant smoke.
Look over cover and shoot at smoke.
Get shot twice. Die.
Respawn.

Sounds very realistic actually. Apart from the last line.

Back