Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Interesting

A look under the bonnet: Lancasters having their engines changed, flaming Hurricanes and a fleet of mechanics, a fascinating look at how the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight planes are kept in the air
By Mark Duell for MailOnline

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ial-Flight-planes-kept-air.html#ixzz3SBPNZQ7S

These fascinating photographs provide a stunning insight into the engineering and maintenance behind the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

The team has been operating since 1957 and these images show the work taking place behind the scenes at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire.

Scenes in the book by author and photographer Keith Wilson include a Spitfire Vb repainting and servicing of Merlin and Griffon engines.

Pre-flight walk-arounds of a Spitfire, Hurricane, Lancaster and Dakota ahead of their displays can also be seen in the Haynes publication.

This summer the team will operate six Spitfires, two Hurricanes, a Lancaster, a Dakota and two Chipmunks at displays across Britain.

Mr Wilson said: ‘When I see and hear the BBMF formation of Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

'I’ve even seen people moved to tears as they watch the display. It is a unique and personal feeling that stirs incredible national pride.’

The book was released this month, ahead of the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain - which took place from July to September in 1940.

• Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Operations Manual (1957 to date) is available for £25 from the

Back