Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

ITALIAN WARS - FOG Medieval Mini Campaign - TURN 5 - LAST TURN

Okay, we have enough players enlisted, so we can start.

(we'll set up thing so long, but no rush to start and first round will be a bit patchy - I know @Bootie is away from 3 - 12 Oct, I'll be away from 28 Oct to 9 Nove and @Wellsonian is moving house at end of Oct)
So, any reserve players want to slot in as well, we can add to roster)

Dunno when @chiquichops will be back available for battles. @HOA_KSOP -- interested to jump in?

Please have a read of the rules -- very simple, really -- let me know if you have any questions or if I have missed something.

Here is the random draw so far for the factions:

FACTIONS

1. FRANCE (light blue) - @Bootie

2. MILAN (dark blue) - @Nathangun

3. VENICE (dark yellow) - @mTk

4. FLORENCE (red) - @Nelson1812

5. PAPAL STATES (white/yellow) - @Rico

6. NAPLES (maroon) - @Wellsonian

The starting set up is loosely historical for the start of the 1494 - 1498 Italian War.

Genoa is under control of the Kingdom of Naples, Turin and House of Savoy are allies of France.
The King of France is on verge of invading to impose rulers of his choice in Milan and Naples,
Naples has support (especially naval) from Spain and the Genoese fleet as well.
I have deleted all the smaller Italian states for simplicity sakes (even the slightly more major ones like Mantua & Siena) to even out the region counts.
I have also left out possible external meddling from the Holy Roman Empire (this was all part of a larger conflict between France and Habsburgs, both the Spanish and German branches)

Italian Wars Mini 01.jpg

RULES

The rules are dead simple.

Only 5 turns.

In the map above is starting set up -- The Italian States... and France poised to invade from the west.

ATTACKS
Each faction gets one attack per turn -- rules for attacks basically the same as the King Is Dead mini campaign.
Any level attack wins the invaded region or repels the invader.
(You can attack into any adjacent region across dotted line border, one battle only per region only. You can attack into a region from which an attack has already been launched, you cannot attack into or from a region that is already under attack) -- see FLEETS section below for attacks across sea regions.

Orders sequence is determined by % results in previous round -- although 1st Round order is determined by a random draw.

ARMIES to be used:

FRANCE: French (1484 - 1500 AD)

MILAN: Milanese (1440 - 1500 AD)

VENICE: Venetian (1440 -1500 AD)

FLORENCE: Florentine (1440 -1500 AD)

PAPAL STATES: Papal (1440 -1500 AD)

NAPLES: Neapolitan (1443 -1500 AD)

BATTLES
The attacker usually sets up the FOG Medieval challenge -- maps can be pot luck or by mutual agreement -- should all the Mediterranean region maps.

FLEETS:
France, Venice and Naples each have ONE FLEET that can be used to launch an amphibious attack across the seas bordering the Italian lands from a region bordering that sea area into another region bordering that same sea area.
FRANCE & NAPLES can use their fleets ONLY in the MEDITERRANEAN.
VENICE can only use its fleet in the ADRIATIC.
A normal land attack is then played out.
If the attack is successful, the Fleet Counter is returned to the 'Available Fleets' box.
If the attack fails, then the Fleet Counter is eliminated for the rest of the campaign.

There is no naval warfare as such -- two or more faction's fleets may operate in a sea zone in the same turn -- their attacks must just comply with the general attack rules.

CAPITAL REGIONS
Each faction (except France) has a Capital Region (Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome & Naples) which are better fortified and defended than the others and cannot be captured with just one successful attack.
(capturing and losing them also earns/costs more points)
1664625176612.png
A Capital Region (see example above) has three orange STRENGTH POINTS markers next to it.
If a faction attacking this region wins a battle with a Major Victory (+40%) , two SP markers are removed.
If a faction attacking this region wins a battle with a Minor Victory (+60%) , one SP markers is removed.

If all three SP's are lost, the region falls to the attacker who destroyed the last SP.

If an attacker wins a battle in a Capital Region, he can chose to stay there and continue the fight in the next round to eliminate any remaining SP's -- the province is then considered CONTESTED and cannot be attacked by a 3rd party. (this is counts as his attack for that turn)

Once a Capital Region has been captured, the SP markers are removed and the region becomes a normal region, even if recaptured by its original owners.

VICTORY CONDITIONS:
Victory points are awarded at end of Turn 5:
1 point per regions conquered and controlled outside your core starting regions. (minus 1 point for any of your starting regions you may have lost)
2 points per enemy capital region captured. (minus 2 point if you have lost your Capital Region -- reduced to minus 1 point if you have recaptured your lost Capital region)

Last edited:
How is it that the greater victory has the smaller SP markers removed?

With the 40% threshold you have to win by 25% margin - so decisive victory.

With 60% win you can win with any % margin and your army is far more damaged - -so marginal victory.

We used same parameters in Ancients Empire Builders.

@ Rico- If you need me I can answer the call, although if I need the latest DLC I am screwed. I just recently got the Swiss Cheese one and mTk is pike-ing my army to death.

MILAN attacks TURIN.
FRANCE attacks GENOA.

ATTACK ORDERS:
1. Florence -- @Nelson1812
2. Milan -- @Nathangun
3. France -- @Bootie
4. Naples -- @Wellsonian
5. Venice -- @mTk
6. Papal States -- @Rico

@Wellsonian -- you're up next with orders for Naples!

Italian Wars Mini 01aa.jpg

TURN 1 ATTACKS:

FLORENCE:
PERUGIA -- @Nelson1812 vs @Rico

MILAN: TURIN -- @Nathangun vs @Bootie

FRANCE: GENOA -- @Bootie vs @Wellsonian

NAPLES:

VENICE:

PAPAL STATES:

-------------------------------------------------------

ARMIES to be used:

FRANCE: French (1484 - 1500 AD)