Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Just some random sh*t.

Sounds good.
By the way, my assumption that the ABC was independent was challenged by you somewhere in the forum, which made me look at it closer.
I am now completely free of any notion that I am getting 'the whole truth, and nothing but the truth' (to borrow a phrase from our American friends) from media.

P.S. And criticism of whoever is in charge is a good thing...part of checks and balances in any healthy system.
It can go too far though, with lobbyists and debate stopping any forward momentum.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, I live by the credo "Always question authority". Learned that from the counter-culture revolution of the 60's. Most forms of government do not have the interests of the common man in mind when governing. That has never been more apparent than the last year or so. I have learned to try to glean which political party will do the least amount of damage to my lifestyle and vote accordingly.

I also live by the adage "How do you know a politician is lying? His lips are moving".

I agree with the sentiments expressed regarding the MSM. Although there have been countless social commentators and critics (...hello George Carlin), going back to the time of the court jesters, ever since Jon Stewart held court on the Daily Show and brought the art form to more prominence, it has now it seems become the lot of comedians to increasingly take on the mantel of journalism and to become a more potent, credible and welcome critic of the establishment and as commentators of the hypocrisy of the State.

Although I suppose the MSM does however serve some purpose, in the sense that it affords you a heads up as to what the 'narrative of the day' is that the States various actors are currently pushing us to swallow, Goebbels would be so proud.

Regarding the MSM reporting of the South Africa variant, I was pleased to see that one of the YouTube 'sources' I often peruse, namely "Breaking Points with Krystal & Saager" did report on this story yesterday and to their credit not only made a point providing context on the matter and commenting on South Africa's world renown expertise in infectious diseases and speed in identifying this variant, but were very complimentary in the process.

For what's its worth, some of the other 'alternative' sources I turn to for news & commentary and more often than not a biting sardonic take on the B.S. going on around us are:

'Matt Taibbi at TK News' and 'Glenn Greenwald' both of whom can also be found on Substack and Rumble as well as YouTube , as well as 'The Jimmy Dore Show' , 'The Greyzone' , 'Jonathan Pie', 'The Problem with Jon Stewart', 'Joe Rogan', 'Russell Brand', and 'The Juice Media'.

If you have any other suggested sources for this type of journalism I would be pleased to hear your suggestions as to some other sources I might want to check out.

Cheers!

Agreed on most MSM in general but feel that many of the standalone youtubers aren't really much better, just different and not necessarily better informed.

Imo most important is to always keep thinking critical for yourself. Most MSM just care about being 'first' and don't really mind if they report 'the news' first but wrong. So apply plenty of salt or just don't watch the news.

Personally I keep a watch on some headlines but don't really follow the (covid/general) news anymore. It's a collection of unknown unknowns being interpreted by those not in the know combined with narration on supposedly good or wrong policies, which are in fact mostly political decisions based on fear (of not getting elected again / losing popularity / etc) or more unknowns. The new Omnikron / South Africa connection is 'just' another one of those examples. Countries like Israel close the borders for everything at the first suspicion, for better or for worse. Other countries often follow suit, media jump on it. etc etc. You might as well watch 'As the world turns', which is at least advertised as a soap series (and fictional).

I do know (or rather believe) that one day covid will become a sort of 'normal', like a flu or whatever. Hopefully sooner than later, until then we'll just have to make the best of it and bear the consequences or deal with it.

Do what I do, watch the lefty-leaning news organization, then watch the righty-leaning news organization. Then apply critical thinking and come to a "truth" somewhere in the middle ground.

However, there are some good independent media folks. I especially like the ones who get strikes and temporary bans for reporting the government's own statistics or the details of a crime that are not reported by MSM, but are publicly available on the internet. Have to agree with the previous statement, Goebbels WOULD be proud.

Do what I do, watch the lefty-leaning news organization, then watch the righty-leaning news organization. Then apply critical thinking and come to a "truth" somewhere in the middle ground.

However, there are some good independent media folks. I especially like the ones who get strikes and temporary bans for reporting the government's own statistics or the details of a crime that are not reported by MSM, but are publicly available on the internet. Have to agree with the previous statement, Goebbels WOULD be proud.
Yeah if I really want to know the gist about something that's usually sort of what I do: check all the different sides. Google is often your best friend for direct sources as well.

And always distrust content that claims to be 'the real truth' etc :)

Agreed on most MSM in general but feel that many of the standalone youtubers aren't really much better, just different and not necessarily better informed.

Imo most important is to always keep thinking critical for yourself. Most MSM just care about being 'first' and don't really mind if they report 'the news' first but wrong. So apply plenty of salt or just don't watch the news.

Personally I keep a watch on some headlines but don't really follow the (covid/general) news anymore. It's a collection of unknown unknowns being interpreted by those not in the know combined with narration on supposedly good or wrong policies, which are in fact mostly political decisions based on fear (of not getting elected again / losing popularity / etc) or more unknowns. The new Omnikron / South Africa connection is 'just' another one of those examples. Countries like Israel close the borders for everything at the first suspicion, for better or for worse. Other countries often follow suit, media jump on it. etc etc. You might as well watch 'As the world turns', which is at least advertised as a soap series (and fictional).

I do know (or rather believe) that one day covid will become a sort of 'normal', like a flu or whatever. Hopefully sooner than later, until then we'll just have to make the best of it and bear the consequences or deal with it.
To your last point, the Spanish Flu (a COVID) hit the world stage in 1918. The last recorded death in the USA attributed to the Spanish Flu occurred in 1958. If that is any indication, people will be dying of COVID 19 in the year 2060. Back in 1918, the world stopped wearing masks after approximately 18 months and life returned to “normal.” I suspect no one saw the need to weaponize the disease for political gain back then.

@Lethaface, you are spot on with your comment regarding the art and act of critical thinking. It is a point I constantly impressed upon my own children as they were growing up. Regrettably it is sorely absent from most public discourse today and unfortunately it is a skill that is far too absent from the curriculums of most educational systems as well.

With regards the standalone YouTubers, you also correct in that they are not necessarily better informed and as like everyone else carry their own philosophical baggage, but if nothing else they can provide an interesting and at times entertaining alternative or counter narrative to the prevailing establishment propaganda of the day, which in its own way helps contributes to ones critical thinking about a subject.

Cheers!

Yeah if I really want to know the gist about something that's usually sort of what I do: check all the different sides. Google is often your best friend for direct sources as well.

And always distrust content that claims to be 'the real truth' etc :)
I use Duck Duck Go, not Google, because Google returns biased search results, or should I say agenda-driven search results.

I use Duck Duck Go, not Google, because Google returns biased search results, or should I say agenda-driven search results.
I also have Duck Duck go as default (privacy is important) but must say that often it doesn't give me the results I am looking for so I switch to google. If you know what you are looking for / know when you find it, google is great apart from feeding the all mighty AI skynet.

To your last point, the Spanish Flu (a COVID) hit the world stage in 1918. The last recorded death in the USA attributed to the Spanish Flu occurred in 1958. If that is any indication, people will be dying of COVID 19 in the year 2060. Back in 1918, the world stopped wearing masks after approximately 18 months and life returned to “normal.” I suspect no one saw the need to weaponize the disease for political gain back then.

Well propaganda wasn't invented yet back then ;-). Or PR as we call it now, how to use communication to influence mass / group psychology.

But not sure if politics / the world was that much of a better place. At least globalization wasn't as widespread as it is now, which surely would have helped containing outbreaks. I think Covid will stay and that's not really a problem. Every year many people die of flu. But usually not much healthy people.

@Lethaface, you are spot on with your comment regarding the art and act of critical thinking. It is a point I constantly impressed upon my own children as they were growing up. Regrettably it is sorely absent from most public discourse today and unfortunately it is a skill that is far too absent from the curriculums of most educational systems as well.

With regards the standalone YouTubers, you also correct in that they are not necessarily better informed and as like everyone else carry their own philosophical baggage, but if nothing else they can provide an interesting and at times entertaining alternative or counter narrative to the prevailing establishment propaganda of the day, which in its own way helps contributes to ones critical thinking about a subject.

Cheers!
Yeah critical thinking is perhaps the most important asset you can have as a person (apart from the basics love/food/safety/shelter).

I sometimes wonder if socialmedia/youtube and other 'easy laidback content delivery of the answers you want to hear' (but are mostly wrong/oversimplified) are partly responsible for the absent of critical thinking among people. Many people prefer easy sounding, short answers / truths and don't like to have to read a long story to find out they still don't know 'the answer'. Or that there might not even be one/an 'answer'.

And indeed standalone youtubers are at least a good thing to have for balance. Some are great, although I find others are just other form of garbage even if they are sometimes nice to watch ;-).

I also have Duck Duck go as default (privacy is important) but must say that often it doesn't give me the results I am looking for so I switch to google. If you know what you are looking for / know when you find it, google is great apart from feeding the all mighty AI skynet.
I also use Duck Duck Go on Opera, with the built-in VPN feature turned on, when I am really feeling my libertarian side...LOL

Yeah critical thinking is perhaps the most important asset you can have as a person (apart from the basics love/food/safety/shelter).

I sometimes wonder if socialmedia/youtube and other 'easy laidback content delivery of the answers you want to hear' (but are mostly wrong/oversimplified) are partly responsible for the absent of critical thinking among people. Many people prefer easy sounding, short answers / truths and don't like to have to read a long story to find out they still don't know 'the answer'. Or that there might not even be one/an 'answer'.

And indeed standalone youtubers are at least a good thing to have for balance. Some are great, although I find others are just other form of garbage even if they are sometimes nice to watch ;-).
I have the problem solved. You want to cure society's ill's, make everyone that wants to use the internet have to use their real name and address with a current picture for their avatar. Be a lot less passive-aggressive bullshit vitriol and whole lot better manners online guaranteed.

I have the problem solved. You want to cure society's ill's, make everyone that wants to use the internet have to use their real name and address with a current picture for their avatar. Be a lot less passive-aggressive bullshit vitriol and whole lot better manners online guaranteed.
Might fix some things, but I guess not all. Also will create new problems ;-).

Makes one wonder how went the public debate when the printing press was first introduced into the society of the times...:unsure:
Well maybe not that much, because how many people could read, besides nobles and church officials. Maybe merchants, but I suspect the majority of folks couldn't read.

Back