Mac vs PC

D

DasTiger

Hey guys,

Anyone here running the game on a Mac? I currently us a PC but it is old and moldy. It takes sometimes 5 mins to load a game up. And just as long to get the turn saved to send it back to my opponent. So it's time for a new rig. I'm a long time Mac user and would like to get a new Mac but am OK with getting a faster PC just for CM in the short term. Especially if people are having Mac related issues. I desperately want a new MacBook Pro and CM could be a great reason to get one!

As a past Mac user....The Mac was the greatest computer and OS there ever was......Still have my old MacII in the garage.
But Steve Jobs screwed up in the 80's by not opening up Mac's OS, as Bill gates did for windows to all outside companies.
So now computer gaming is ruled by PC's.
Mac great for artist in me, or the author writing his best sellers, but not for gamers.
Das Tiger..buy a cheap($300 -500) PC laptop for gaming and still get a 17" screen ProMac for yourself.

I believe MGK plays it with a Mac and has no issues. I have your problem of taking 15 minutes to get a turn down loaded, played, and emailed back out. Plus the graphics are poor. Next Christmas a new laptop will be on the list.

I play on a gaming laptop but it takes about 3-5min to load a game, play about 5-10min and then 5min to sent the file back.

I'm pretty much old school with a desktop pc.
It's got a quad core chip with a nice iNvida card with a 28" monitor.
Everything runs smooth as silk.

PC hardware is nice and (relatively) cheap nowadays.

How about loading the game turns? What kind of times are you looking at.
I just checked my times and for the scenario SK Highway Song, which I am playing against DG it took exactly 2:31.8 to load. Load to the password screen. And I have CM set to the absolute lowest settings. It feels much long than that though!!!! But I know that when I load the scenario Huzzar!!!! I have to shut down everything to even get the game to load. If I don't it will just crash.

My system has a Intel Core 2 CPU running at 2.13 Ghz, 2 GB RAM and runs Vista. Yes, Vista. I think it is 4 years old.

What about some of you guys. have you ever clocked your scenario load times and what are some of the systems people are using? I was reading on the BF website where some felt the most important things to have for CM:BN are a fast CPU and a fast Hard drive. RAM is not that important for both the computer or the graphics card.

Any thoughts?

It just so happens I had to buy a new rig because of my troubles. Just bought tower only And cheap it was under 300 for it.

Amd II X2 220 Processor 2.80 GHz
4.gig ram

I did buy a cheap 1gig video card 50 bucks as the motherboard card is always crap at that price and it to was 1gig

It's been my experiance that it all comes down to turning off all the bells and whistles in windows that you can. tweak tweak tweak.

When I first loaded CMBN it studdered like Porky Pig. A cheap card and a lot a tweaks and it's runnin as smooth as the top of my head with full graphics. Load time for a scenario with DG, a mid sized? map with over 4200 pts loads in 39 seconds

There's also free programs out there like gamebooster to shut down uneccesary processes

Huzzar still a pig at 4:22 but graphics are smooth
With gamebooster activated 4: 09,--- hey every little bit adds up, a little here and a little there:)

Nice to see my name mentioned in 2 different posts... Shows my activity

LOL

And yes I'm still awake. Working the nightshift this weekend.

Great info RT. it looks like I'm going to be get a CM:BN only computer. Those load times are quite a bit better than mine and you're at full graphics.

Now. Should I spill water on it or maybe trip and kick it by accident? Or I could just sneak it in to the basement and maybe the wife will never know.

And Dutch. You are our hero!

No do your best Jimmy Cagney imitation.

Walk up to her like you got a pair and just tell her what's going down, be a man for God's sake.

Don't be like I was and grovel spinelessly on the floor begging for her permission with the promise of doing honeydoos for eternity.

Nah. The sneaking will get me back to the bitching about how much time I play that damn game, Instead of the "you bought a NEW computer to play that damn game faster!?!?!?!"

Nah. The sneaking will get me back to the bitching about how much time I play that damn game, Instead of the "you bought a NEW computer to play that damn game faster!?!?!?!"

Each time I upgrade my PC I also upgrade my better-halfs = no bitching and moaning ever.

When I click on my desktop icon for CMBN it goes to the 'battlefront' logo and then as soon as I click on the screen it instantly goes to the main screen. So from loadup I am on the main screen in a matter of 2 seconds. I also tried to load up 'Huzzar' and it took me around 2min 10 seconds. I run the game on max settings and get pretty good framerates. I listed some of my specs below.

I agree with MTK on the desktop thing though. You can definitely get way more bang for your buck going that route. Laptops are nice but just not made for gaming at the price you pay. Look into newegg.com or tigerdirect.com. This is where I get all my parts. I took my cuz's old computer he built and just upgraded parts over time. It is not that hard to do. Start with the MB and work your way up to your price range.

Specs:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz
Memory: 6.00 GB of RAM
Video Cards: EVGA GeForce GTX 470 SuperClocked
Mother Board: EVGA nForce 750i SLI
Direct X: 11.0

"It's been my experiance that it all comes down to turning off all the bells and whistles in windows that you can. tweak tweak tweak."
What are these tweaks and where do I go on my computer to find them? I need the laptop to play so I can be within ear shot to hear the honey do list and stuff like that. Main complaint of the bride is that the computer distracts me from communicating and interacting. Being in another room would not be helping.

When I click on my desktop icon for CMBN it goes to the 'battlefront' logo and then as soon as I click on the screen it instantly goes to the main screen. So from loadup I am on the main screen in a matter of 2 seconds. I also tried to load up 'Huzzar' and it took me around 2min 10 seconds. I run the game on max settings and get pretty good framerates. I listed some of my specs below.

This is about the same times I am getting... Framerate is about 32-38, Loading SK Highway Song took 54 seconds.

Specs:
OS- Win 7 64bit Pro
Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 955, 3.20 GHz (Overclocked to 3.42)
Memory - 16.00 GB allocated 4x4 on processors
Video Card - nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti (w1.5GB on board ram) (all CMx2 games custom configured based upon specs in BFC Thread)
Mother Board - MSI 870A-G54 Gaming Motherboard
HDD - Seagate ST32000 2TB- Mirrored) running SATA3 bus structure.
Direct X: 11.0

I picked all this up with 3 year warranty configured with a Blue-ray drive, Tr2-800w Power supply, Onkyo Wavio Soundcard SE-200PCI LTD Pro, Ultra HD Heatpipe Cooler, Twin Thermaltake Cooling fans, X-Dreamer three Case, Logitech wireless KB/Mouse 550, etc for under $1100.

I use twin monitor setup Acer 2300 at 1920x1080, Samsung 19in at 1600x1200... also have HD connected to 46 inch TV (can only run duel setup or HD at a time)

You get more bang for you buck on a PC desktop... I build in a 250-300 dollar budget per year, and bite the bullet and buy a new machine every 4 years, this way I figure I am spending about 20-30 bucks a month on a machine... lol...

Rick and all,

Thanks for the info. The load times are what I think is a good gauge for what works.

Going here in a little while to talk to a custom builder so I can get what I want.

I have a question about HD TVs as monitors. I'm using a 32" Samsung and the graphics look a little weird. I'm assuming it's the graphics card. It's old and moldy also, but 4 years ago it was near top of the line. With a strong graphics card the tv works good for those who use it? Or does it still look a little off?

Thanks to everyone and thanks for the info and times.

I have a question about HD TVs as monitors. I'm using a 32" Samsung and the graphics look a little weird. I'm assuming it's the graphics card. It's old and moldy also, but 4 years ago it was near top of the line. With a strong graphics card the tv works good for those who use it? Or does it still look a little off?
Well the TV at 1080p and the right distance (46 inch I sit about 8 feet away) looks good but it still isnt as crisp as a monitor running 1920x1080 or even higher like 2560x1600

Just google windows tweaks for your operating system (vista, win 7) and your on your way,

They'll explain everything in detail from turning off windows fancy schmancy looks to ready boost , to turning off print spooler ect. ect.

This is what this poor boy has to do to get good performance cause mama would never be down for the price of these muscally machines that some of you boys are toutin. "You wanna spend how much for a stupid game machine ?" "Dream on

Back
Top Bottom