Mac vs PC

Nice rig FR!

DT,
FR is right. You have to think about the distance. Sitting right in front of a 32" display even with good output from your VC could still not look great to you. You are closer so you will more easily see the imperfections. It will definitely look better if you upgrade that VC. Eventhough it was top of the line --- 4 years is an eternity in computer hardware.

Watch those custom builders! If you do not know them I would stay away. Remember they are out to make a buck and could easily talk you into things you really do not need at this time. I would do some research and look around the internet. There are several sites dedicated to dudes that build gaming PC's for a hobby. They are the best people to tell you what you need.

If you want the wife to agree on a new computer, take your HD out and drop it a few times. LOL. Tell her if she wants to do her internet shopping you will have to get a new computer. Doubt if it will work but worth a try.

Just google windows tweaks for your operating system (vista, win 7) and your on your way,

They'll explain everything in detail from turning off windows fancy schmancy looks to ready boost , to turning off print spooler ect. ect.

This is what this poor boy has to do to get good performance cause mama would never be down for the price of these muscally machines that some of you boys are toutin. "You wanna spend how much for a stupid game machine ?" "Dream on

RT,

Great info. I will definitely look into your suggestions.

Rick and eniced73,

Thanks for the input. I didn't think about the closeness of the monitor. My old Viewsonic took a dump and I grabbed the tv off the wall near the computer in the man cave. It did look great from about 8 feet but now I'm about 3 feet from it.

Just got back from the computer place. After thinking about a custom rig I think I'll stick with a stock setup with a fast processor and a nice video card. It's too easy to go crazy with this. And this computer is only for CM and other light stuff.

Plus, I brought the wife in with my plans and we are now also getting a new washer. The washer will be nicer than the computer..... Isn't life funny!!! But back when I was single.....

VERY LARGE GRIN yea Your really using the computer to get your wife that washer yu sly devil.

Ok,ok. Damn it RT. you saw right through my smoke screen. You should see this thing! Front loader, 13 cycles, LED control panel and over 4 cubic feet of capacity! Yeah, that's right baby, I said 4 feet!!!!

Am I the man or what!?!? :grumpy:

DT,
Go to Cyberpowerpc.com and check out the site. Go to the configurator link at the top and pick the cheapest and see what additions or deletions you can make. I know it is alot if you really are not a tech person but it will give you a good idea on what you are looking at spending. The forums there are also useful. Post up a thread on a gaming pc specifically for CM and see what the people there suggest.

Ok i see I am here te only one Mac user :) sorry for not writing earlier but seems that crisis Is fading away so I have a lot of work.
I have started from home made PC and I think I was quite good with all kind of configurations but when my company expanded to 5 employees and newest PC got Vista, I gave up, that was nightmare to keep network running. So I have decided to change to MacOs
That was 2008 and I bought IMac,s 24in intel 2'8 core duo and I keep this computer, in home, till now for playing . I have parallel desktop and windows 7 for kids games and CM under MacOS is working very good. Screen is great and I don,t need any upgrades. I have bought for my company brand new 27 IMac,s, but old 24 is still good.
Resume
I know PCworld word very good I use windows for some of kids games and I am sick when I have to use windows, hours of waitings for system start, for software start, for upgrades of everything,for antivirus antispy etc Mac is starting very quickly and works just fine
Last but not least .. There is macappstore with tons of good very cheep or even free software, and all works fine i can,t remeber when my mac freezed and windows did it yesterday and day before and.... You know :)

You're not the only Mac user, mgk. I also play exclusively on a Mac (my two main opponents play on Windows machines). I'm using a few months old iMac and am very happy with the performance. The game plays smoothly and I haven't had any problems. It's even plenty fast enough to capture movies using Quicktime while playing back replays (saved off to an external FireWire drive).

Having said that, I do still keep an old Windows machine around so that I can play a couple of PC-only games. But that machine is old and decrepit and I don't want to put ANY money into a new PC when I'm perfectly happy with my Mac.

Ok i see I am here te only one Mac user :) sorry for not writing earlier but seems that crisis Is fading away so I have a lot of work.
I have started from home made PC and I think I was quite good with all kind of configurations but when my company expanded to 5 employees and newest PC got Vista, I gave up, that was nightmare to keep network running. So I have decided to change to MacOs
That was 2008 and I bought IMac,s 24in intel 2'8 core duo and I keep this computer, in home, till now for playing . I have parallel desktop and windows 7 for kids games and CM under MacOS is working very good. Screen is great and I don,t need any upgrades. I have bought for my company brand new 27 IMac,s, but old 24 is still good.
Resume
I know PCworld word very good I use windows for some of kids games and I am sick when I have to use windows, hours of waitings for system start, for software start, for upgrades of everything,for antivirus antispy etc Mac is starting very quickly and works just fine
Last but not least .. There is macappstore with tons of good very cheep or even free software, and all works fine i can,t remeber when my mac freezed and windows did it yesterday and day before and.... You know :)

So, basically yuu are comparing an old Windows PC with a new(er) Apple PC?

I've got a friend who uses professionaly both a Windows and an Apple PC. According to him both systems freeze occasionally and both systems makes him want to throw them out of the window on occasion.

And of course, Apple products cost a LOT more!

Resume

So, basically yuu are comparing an old Windows PC with a new(er) Apple PC?

I've got a friend who uses professionaly both a Windows and an Apple PC. According to him both systems freeze occasionally and both systems makes him want to throw them out of the window on occasion.

And of course, Apple products cost a LOT more!
This doesn't mean I'm fore or against any of them.

I think Apple is to expensive but for a small business I think it is certainly wise to consider bying Apple. No Exchange or other synchronisation issues etc.
And they don't look that bad either (although there are beautiful Windows laptops and PC's as well).

I am comparing old Mac with old PC (2008)- I don't know present PC market but I think it is pretty the same situation :)

Back
Top Bottom