Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

McDonalds' Hot Coffee

"Come on people it is a Hot drink..." No, actually it was a very hot drink.
You did note the difference in what the jury awarded her due to her injuries (nasty looking) and what were punitive damages directed to McDonalds for their negligence?
If McDonalds hadn't been so bloody arrogant at the start they could have settled for almost nothing in comparison. They had the same attitude most of us did when we first heard of the incident. However, legally they were in hot water (groan) right from the start along with being faced with a very sympathetic plaintiff.

If a company can not or will not admit they are wrong or contribute to this accident and many, many other burns then they should pay up. If i was the judge they would of paid more then they did.

"Don't you think that a little care should be taken by the customer..." Of course you are correct.
But the point was that she shouldn't have had to sustain 3rd degree burns by spilling coffee had McDonalds acted just a little more responsibly and toned down the heat just a tad. McDonalds was well aware of other injuries in such instances. At least that's what the jury thought.

If a company can not or will not admit they contribute to this accident they should pay up.

If you own a very fast car and, while driving it very fast, get into an accident, did the company which produced the car contribute to that accident? Or the company which built the road? Etc. Etc.

No company cares about people, whether worker or customer...they are there for the bottom line and that is it. We are a means to their end. May be in the past that was a bit different but not much. One can never rule out the stupidity of individuals which seem to make a up a fairly large part of the population it seems. This is why we have laws and courts and governments etc. to help protect against such things going unpunished.

Don't get me wrong the state does not get it right either, very often but if we have enough checks and balances then there is hope some form of justice may rise to the top.

There's actually a 2011 documentary "Hot Coffee" that details this case and focuses primarily on tort reform. While a little one sided (from memory), I still think it would be recommended viewing for anyone interested in this particular case and tort reform.

Umm, did the car she took through the drive through not have a cup holder.

Also, she got third degree burns, right? Isn't a sunburn a third degree burn? I mean, let's just say, theoretically speaking, she was a nudist and fell asleep with her knees parted facing south. Now who does she sue, God? Or Mother nature?

PS, Does anyone know if McDonald's fired their corporate department and hired some fresh fire eaters?

:eek: Sunburn a third degree burn!!

skin_burn_1st_degree.jpg

That looks like it hurts but nothing a little aloe vera cannot handle.

Now this is third degree!! Talk about your skid pretty much melting away!!

skin_burn_3rd_degree.jpg

You have that type of damage between your legs and you are in a world of hurt!

Then it would be first degree burns....I never could get that right....suffice it to say that if you put steaming hot coffee anywhere it's not properly secured your running the risk of burning some region of your body, nether or otherwise...

Then it would be first degree burns....I never could get that right....suffice it to say that if you put steaming hot coffee anywhere it's not properly secured your running the risk of burning some region of your body, nether or otherwise...

That is true, but what was there any need to serve the coffee as hot as that? There is responsability for the vendor too.

Back