MG hell

• Thread starter Dutch Grenadier
  • Start date
D

Dutch Grenadier

Anyone else think MG's are crap in CMBN?

This MG42 has been firing for a whole minute on this small 3 men jeep. Not a single casualtie.
And the crew has veteran status so it is not that they are bad gunners.

CMNormandy2011-12-0613-53-51-24a.jpg

The blacked out part is because this is from the TTB battle vs 95Bravo and I dont want him to know what units I have there.

Yeah and its probably a big barn. What a shame. The MG42 is the best machinegun ever!

No my friend, you are still a heretic! :loyal:

Ive experienced this crap and just once a hmg mowed down three full halftracks and almost 70% of the passengers...just once...

cmx1 mg42: BEAST

Well I've had situations where they performed OK, but I do agree that I think overall they are weaker than in CMx1 (too weak?). Particularly, they seem to cause very little suppression at short to medium ranges even when they are peppering the terrain around their target with bullets. Squads caught in the fire of an MG42 at 300 meters will just continue running until two or three of the men have been hit (which almost never happens unless there are other units firing at them as well). Sad, but what can you do? I just don't rely on them much, sometimes just use them as extra fireteams.

Indeed, an MG42 should easely cut down a squad running in the open at 300 meters or more. And surpress them.
To bad i found this out to late. All my battles are equipt with MG42's... waste of points

I agree that the MG42 is not as potent as it should be, but in example DG, I see that unit is rattled and does it have blue or grey LOS/LOF to the jeep being it is in the opposite corner of the building, plus it has only have its troops... though that shouldnt affect targeting....

I have had HMG teams take out M3 on a regular basis, you need to ensure they aquire some AP ammo to do this though... also I use them to surpress tanks on a regular basis... but there kill ratio seems off on Infantry....

I'm not here to defend the MG42s performance in CMBN, because I agree, MGs in general aren't as effective as they should be. But I have noticed a few things about that screenshot. For one, the gunner isn't labeled gunner, so not the original trigger man that I assume was killed already. I'm think this indeed does have an effect on the guns performance.

Also it shows just a single rifleman aiming at the jeep, does the MG actually fire on the jeep, partial grey LOS?

Also as Fredrocker pointed out already, they are rattled and out of C&C, both have impact on performance.

They know that should they kill my jeep crew a terrible retribution will take place. We are honorable to compliant POWs.

Maybe its because the MG team doesn't have a good angle to fire at the jeep.
Just a thought.

To clear things up:

They started OK not ratled
Had blue LOS the whole time
Could be that the gunner is killed but I dont know for sure
The jeep moved up SLOWLY so they had all the time in the world to aim, fire and kill

They started OK not ratled
If they started ok and went to rattled then they are taking fire or shelling from somewhere... which means accuracy could be an issue, also as MeatEtr mentioned; there might be a loader doing the firiing now not the gunner... I think of all the things mentioned the accumulated impact might be causing the missed shots, or it could be the Jeep is one of those new B1B Stealth Jeeps...:playful:

If they started ok and went to rattled then they are taking fire or shelling from somewhere...
They were not taking any fire at the beginning of the turn when they opened fire on the slow moving jeep who is out in the open with a clear LOS. They are taking fire at the moment and that killed the gunner. So the gunner was alife and kicking at the beginning. So the MG42 is still questioned... :witless:

This unit was in hiding the whole battle and could not have been spotted.

Snake eye's

Ow and btw... On the next turn the MG still wasn't able to kill any one of the crew. The jeep was knocked out by a handgranade.

Hey Bram you gotta stop given out those rations of brandy.... lol... Hell I just had someone over at BFC lose two TRP's in a campaign, and for the life of me I cant figure out where they went... they are in every version of the battle I have on my machine... gremlins are striking...

Dutch_Grenadier screenshot is very surprising, to be honest. I've been taking out jeeps with MG at less than 100 meters...

Certainly, German machineguns aren't as overwhelming as I was expecting, with vanilla troops. Moreso if those troops are suppressed or under fire as others have pointed out. From what I have gathered from past discussions in BFC and GS forums, part of the problem is that MG's fire comes in "packets" or "bursts", probably because of limitations in the engine (try tracking 100's of bullets in flight, it's not that easy). So it seems BFC cut a few corners with the 1:1 modeling w.r.t. MG fires.

Nonetheless, while the above might impair the effectiveness of these weapons, by default, I've found out a few things which might be worth sharing.

On a battle I finished not too along - documented on a DAR on the GS CM forum - I played with two Kompanies of Fusilier Battalions... which means a lot of HMG's. I was careful to make sure all of these had Veteran crews with high motivation. And I don't have much reason to complain, to be honest.

And on the battle Bootie and me are playing right now - Sie Kommen Draw Poker - I wonder how happy Bootie is with those "ineffective" MG's :p They're much more effective when firing from a higher elevation than the target. Be very wary of MG's perched on high places.

I really miss when playing the US, having a couple MG's in each squad. The amount of sheer firepower one can bring forward with the Germans in the assault is quite awesome. Cutting down a squad 300 meters away it's a bit hyperbolic - I'd say at about 100 meters and that surprising the advancing infantry so it can duck for cover in time. Surprising the TacAI like this also enhances effectiveness.

Back
Top Bottom