NATO's Kosovo War, 11 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zaraza

Eleven years ago NATO opened its bombing campaign against Serbia, illegally and without provocation. It started on March 24, 1999, and continued for 78 days and nights. It was the most intensive air offensive suffered by any country since the end of the Second World War.

Over a thousand people were killed and the civilian infrastructure of Serbia was destroyed, but it proved unable to degrade the Serbian military. It caused far more suffering than it prevented. For the first time since its founding the North Atlantic Alliance, led by the United States, acted in violation of its own treaty and the United Nations Charter by using violence to resolve an international dispute. This illegal act marked a historical turning point and was a fatal step in dismantling the framework of peace and security that had governed international relations since the end of the Second World War. It set precedents that will continue to plague international affairs for years. The bombing also revealed a disturbing reality that has continued to haunt us: the ease with which our democratic countries can be led into committing acts of violence and war by political leaders prepared to tell us lies.

If that action was really fight for human rights, we can consider it's results as total failure. However, it wasn't, so one might think what kind of goals NATO achieved.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2478531/posts

It seems that you might be a little bitter. I am not sure that you have posted a very objective article, seems a little hateful toward the west. Is that the case?
Lord Bane

I am not sure that you have posted a very objective article, seems a little hateful toward the west. Is that the case?
Lord Bane

Thats what i thought, but it appears to be issued by "The Lord Byron Foundation for Balkan Studies", if im not mistaken that makes it british.

I noticed that to, but it seems that Zaraza has embraced it. Is that true Zaraza?
Lord Bane

IMO Bombing of Serbia was a huge mistake as it didnt solve any problem.
It just led to a mass movement of Serbs who had to leave Kosovo in order to save their lives from the Gangs of UCK and other criminal groups that currently residing in Kosovo.
One of the main duties of the NATO troops that are currently serving there, is to protect the few remaining Serbs and their churches from the Albanians.
U dont solve a problem by creating another one.

Thats what i thought, but it appears to be issued by "The Lord Byron Foundation for Balkan Studies", if im not mistaken that makes it british.

I didnt even pay attention to that, why should be that important?

You sound like your pretty mad at all of the Nato Countries. Interesting that your not mad at your old government for getting your country bombed. That is a shame. I hope you get over your anger. I think that we are over any hard feelings here in the States. In fact, Kosovo is not even mentioned here.
Lord Bane

We should of attacked earlier on in the war,the concentration camps and other human rights were the dark days of WW2. Yes there is bloody on Nato hands because they stood by and aloud a lot more innocent people to die before acting !!

Hah :)
Well, problem is that there weren't any concentration camps or breaking human rights. No more than in 'normal' war.

We should of attacked earlier on in the war,the concentration camps and other human rights were the dark days of WW2. Yes there is bloody on Nato hands because they stood by and aloud a lot more innocent people to die before acting !!
I think u are terribly wrong, on the contrary Carla del Ponte the procecutor that tried to examine the war crimes commited in Kosovo found solid evidents,given in her reports to the Hauge International court for war crimes, that Albanians kidnapped and then exterminate hundreds of Serbs in order to take away their organs to sell them for profit.
From civil war in Yugoslavia and on, International community created a tradition of supporting the wrong guys.At first they supported the Saudis,Yemenis and other muslims that were fighting alongside with bosnian muslims.Those are the same people that are planting IED's and killing our troops in Afghanistan.That mistake is clearly recognised now but its too late.

all sides in that war carried out war crimes , and yes looking after the Muslims can be looked on as a mistake as their so called faith is rotten to the core and I don't have any time for them at all. But you have to face the fact that the Serbs staved and murdered women and children and carried ethnic clensing .
This is my biggest fear of allowing the Balakin states into the EU that area has always been trouble and always will be.

"all Muslims are not terrorists but all terrorists are Muslims!! "

all sides in that war carried out war crimes "
Indeed but only the Serbs suffered and got punished.
that area has always been trouble and always will be"
Thats why any foreign intervention there sould be twice as carefull and thought before.
How about Cyprus?Why international community is closing the eyes and ears for 36 years?
Why the pain and suffering of Albanians is more important from the one of Cypriots or Serbs?
What kind of justice is this?
IMO this selective sensitivity to human suffering is just an excuse for an intervention that
the real causes are unknown, to me at least....

I think the bombings were an oversimplified "solution" for a very complicated problem.

Why should Kosovo become independent from Serbia ? The only reason a lot of ethnic Albanians live there is that they were given shelter by Serbia when they had to flee their own country. And the thanks they give is to want their own (autonomous) state.

all sides in that war carried out war crimes , and yes looking after the Muslims can be looked on as a mistake as their so called faith is rotten to the core and I don't have any time for them at all. But you have to face the fact that the Serbs staved and murdered women and children and carried ethnic clensing .

You have to face the fact that Albanians murdered Serbian women and children, and tried to carry ethnic cleansing. First with terrorists attacks, and later with open war against Serbian police and army. With NATO help, they succedded in that. Most Serbs fled from Kosovo in 1999.
It happened again few years later when more Serbs fled. ( http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=18183 )
Why? No, they don't like to travel, they were feared for their lives.

If you try to search for new reports (last few years) on so called war crimes you'll see that numbers are much much lower than it was presented to the public 10 years ago.

This is my biggest fear of allowing the Balakin states into the EU that area has always been trouble and always will be.

It's not Balakin, it's Balkan.

war is always the worst solution :( and bombing was not necessary - I think, bombing civilians is a crime, but in fact I (and you all) know nothing about true reasons of NATO attacks. There were war crimes in Balkan and that is very sad - now there is a lot better so maybe western attacks was not all for vain ? I have very warm feelings about balkans so I hope it is becoming better and better and you will join EU and NATO soon :)

PS I wonder why we don't bombing North Korea ? - there is real hell on the earth and attack would save millions from certain death - but I know that it is very dangerous to start war there :( - and this is Realpolitik.

The NATO bombing campaign was justified, as it was the only means to force Serbia to the negotiating table in the face of a looming refugee crisis. Serbia lost its opportunity to claim that Kosovo was an internal problem when it created a refugee flow into Europe. Thanks to the Bosnia experience, Europe was still highly sensitized to the social and economic burden of Balkan refugees, and was eager to prevent another such situation. The flood of refugees out of Kosovo after the bombing began only served to heighten European concerns and willingness to keep up military pressure. An important strategic lesson there, one Serbia failed to learn from its Bosnian experience - if Serbia had kept the Kosovar Albanians in Kosovo, it probably could have kept on dealing with them in any fashion it wished. As far as the above comparison of the Balkans to Cyprus, the difference is that Cyprus did not create a refugee problem that was thrust on the rest of Europe.

Through the aforementioned “terrorist attacks,” the Kosovar Albanians / UCK assuredly played a role in bringing down the wrath of the Serbs. But operationally, the Serbs erred in their response, using a hammer when they should have used a scalpel. A primary technique was to surround a Muslim village in a horseshoe, blast it with artillery, and wait for the villagers to flee out the open end of the horseshoe. The Serbian military and militias would then mop up, move to the next village and repeat – there was no attempt at a “hearts and minds” campaign.

I served with the NATO peacekeepers in Bosnia in ’96-’97, the UN peacekeepers in Macedonia in ’98, and led a company into Kosovo with the NATO peacekeepers in June ’99. While in Kosovo, I watched the flood of over three quarters of a million Muslim refugees return home to try to scratch out a living in the dirt of Kosovo, I exhumed the bodies from a mass grave of 60 and 80 year old Muslim men shot dead by Serbian para-militaries, and I watched home videos of young Muslim boys with their skulls smashed open. I then witnessed the Kosovar Albanians start to extract revenge, burning Serb homes, shooting Serb farmers off their tractors, and shelling Serb villages in the night. The Kosovar Albanians turned on others as well, accusing the Roma and Croat populations of Kosovo of collaboration and driving them out. The NATO forces made a good faith effort to protect everyone, but we could not be everywhere at once.

Both Serbs and Kosovar Albanians bear responsibility. But the Serbs had the upper hand, overplayed it, went on to reap what they had sewn, and the situation today is subsequently more tragic for the Serbs in their enclaves in Kosovo. But thanks to NATO at least now the bloodletting is a trickle instead of a hemorrhage, and a majority of the population has managed to stay in their homes and get on with their lives. The NATO solution was not perfect, but, contrary to the opening article, it did maintain peace and security in Europe, and was better than any alternative offered in this forum or elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom