New Campaign Tourney System

While messing around with a few ideas this weekend, I came up with an interesting and relatively simple campaign system using divisions that have standard OOB's and are basically a "Division in Miniature" for purposes of the CM battle which resolves the battle that results from movements on the operational map.
This system then could be adapted to be used for just about any battle front or fictional campaign, like my earlier Battle for Kharkov campaign idea.
new-map-system.jpg

The CM OOB for a mid 1941 Panzer Division would look like this:

Panzer Division
Recce: 2 light AC, 2 Hvy AC
Pz Regt: 1x pltn PzIIIJ, 1x pltn PzIVg, 1x pltn StuGIIIf
Inf: 1x PzGrenadier Coy (Arm)
Art: 1x 81 mortar spotter. 1x 105 spotter (both radio)
AT: 3x towed 75 or 50mm towed guns
AA: 3x flak halftracks

The CM OOB for a mid, full strength late 1943 SS Panzer Division would look like this:
SS Panzer Division
Recce: 2 light AC, 2 Hvy AC
Pz Regt: 1x pltn Tiger, 1x pltn Panther, 1x pltn PzIVh, 1x pltn StuGIIIf
Inf: 1x SS PzGrenadier Coy (Arm)
Art: 1x 81 mortar spotter. 1x 105 spotter (both radio)
AA: 3x flak halftracks

An German infantry division would be substantially weaker:
Infantry Division
Recce: 1x Recon pltn
Inf: 1x Rifle Coy
Art: 1x 81 mortar spotter. 1x 105 spotter
AA: 3x lt AA guns

A Russian Tank Corps
Recce: 3x BA64 AC
Tanks: 3x T-34 pltn, 1x lt Tk pltn
Inf: 1x SMg pltn, 1x Mot Rifle Coy
Art: 1x 81 mortar spotter. 1x 76mm spotter
AA: 3x lt AA guns

Casualties:
AFV and gun casualties would be tracked individually.
Inf pltns would be rounded up or down -- if an Inf Pltn suffers 50% or more casualties, it is eliminated from the OOB.
Any level of victory means the attacker holds the hex and the defender withdraws -- the side holding the field after a battle, can recover and repair 'abandoned' AFV's.

Keeping track of casualties could therefore become less of a bookkeeping exercise -- yet also avoiding the sometimes odd results the QB system of the NAC by battles being fought by what each side brings to the table, but keeping it relatively simple by the standard OOB's... also keeps battles quite small.

Furthermore, tracking casualties also give hopeless, outnumbered opponents a purpose in their battles -- you might get bludgeoned into destruction, but if you can inflict some considerable casualties on the attacker, it will slow him down and help the rest of the front.

Battles: Battles would be built by the tourneymeister using random generated maps (usually small) and OOB's built in scenario editor.

There'd be a system of assigning support units from Corps HQ, like air support, Hvy Tank units, non divisional Hvy Arty, Rockets, Engineers for assaults and fortifications etc.

CO's could also then have the option to pull out damaged divisons and replenish them according to supply points available.
In the Kharkov campaign system, it would be a case of Russians suffering heavy casualties whittling down much stronger German formations that are at the same time a lot more brittle.

Quality -- these can be adjusted to reflect the situation at time of the battle... for Kharkov for instance, I'd set all Russian units to REGULAR and all German units to VETERAN - as battles will be prebuilt, there shouldn't be any of the AI down or upgrades you get from QB's.

A multi-hex combat system is still in the works... but I would keep it simple, maybe even make it turn-based rather than simultaneous movement.

What excites me about this, is that this system could be applied to any front and could become like building blocks for future campaigns -- see no reason this couldn't work for Normandy for instance.

I really like this system a lot.

It is small, concise, and has the capability for IGO/UGO movement, or even the turn based system. Either way, I see a lot of potential for this!
When I have a moment to sit down and inquire about questions...I shall...

It would be a good idea to be able to recover abandoned vehicles and guns and players should only play to the second last turn so they won't be able to see the enemy OOB in the game end file.

Actually, the more I think of it the more I like it. I could put my Crete campaign on hold to give ya a hand GM'ing Rico (if you want a hand).

Sounds good rico.

I had an idea similar to this, especially with the rounding up/down infantry casualties to the nearest plt altho by the looks of it i would do it slightly differently.

Just one thing, these all seem to be battalion sized engagements, these are quite big for tourneys, the battles might take a while.

Just one thing, these all seem to be battalion sized engagements, these are quite big for tourneys, the battles might take a while.

Typo slipped into my post -- base unit is always a Company.

Infantry Divsion would consist of:
1 Recon Pltn
1x Rifle Coy
1x 81 spotter
1x 105 spotter
3x AT guns
3x lt AA guns

So, it's basically a company plus support units.

Rico, anything to simplify it for your record keeping is a good idea. I really like the Ardennes Campaign because of a similar system that makes taking casualties personal.
I don't think I like the flat elimination of infantry platoons that take 50% casualties though. Why couldn't the survivors be used to beef up other platoons that had taken casualties?

mTk -- the bookkeeping of keeping track of the OOB's and casualties in Ardennes Campaign togetherwith rsolving the simultaneous orders/movement/actions system was just too much bloody work.

"I don't think I like the flat elimination of infantry platoons that take 50% casualties though. Why couldn't the survivors be used to beef up other platoons that had taken casualties?"

In effect this is what happens -- Platoons with less than 50% casualties get rounded up to full strength after a battle and platoons with more than 50% casualties get eliminated -- in the end it balances out as if survivors of destroyed platoons get absorbed -- except without me having to count every bloody rifleman in every battlegroup...LOL

Been playing around with introducing NAC Campaign type counters into the Kharkov map and campaign concept. Looking good so far, even if I say so myself. :yo:

The Russian armies begin their assault on the dug in German defenders of Kharkov, while the 5th Guards Tank Army tries to swing around the western flank. Down south the first panzer reinforcements arrive... just in the nick of time. Note the German infantry divisions having support units such as StuG's, 88's, Marders and Corps Artillery assigned to them, while a Nebelwerfer unit is held in reserve at Corps HQ.

kharkov-sample1.jpg

I see in another post that Bootie wants to limit the number of campaigns... so this might not see the light of day for several months (and work looks to get insane on my part anyway soon)

I see in another post that Bootie wants to limit the number of campaigns... so this might not see the light of day for several months (and work looks to get insane on my part anyway soon)

Yeah considering you still have The Ardennes Campaign on the backburner surely it is wiser to finish that one before progressing and adding more to your workload?

Back
Top Bottom