New Scenario - FGM H2H - Boots in Normandy #1

Apparently units can be made to start in different places each time a game is played, I noticed it in this scen-

SPOILER- the 2 screenshots below show the German AI setup in the '1 Training-Roadblock' mission:-
As the American side, I hit 'surrender' on turn 1 in a few different games just to get a peek at the AI setup, and we see the AT gun and its ammo bearer changed position in one game, which would seem to indicate a random placement factor can somehow be introduced by the mission designer, although notice the other units didn't change position-
One game-
at1.gif

Another game-
at2.gif

Incidentally this bit in the manual is all I can find at the moment about setup zones, it makes no mention of an automatic random unit placement from game to game, and I'm not sure what it means when it says zones can be "sprinkled" around the map. (what, dozens of tiny zones like confetti?)

setp.gif

Also any chance we can convert some of the better FGM CMBO scenarios to the new CMBN format??? Personally that would be awesome if we could get one of our better bretheren to make the new ones. It would give me a woody.

I would like to play Kelly's Heroes in CM:Norm

back to "Boots in Normandy" - I couldn't help myself and played vs the AI and had an hour and a half of constant fun.

thanks for making that scenario, Bootie. Well done, mate.

Herroberst and me played 'Boots in Normandy', I was Germans and simply packed my men into buildings in the village because it was in the objective zone and I couldn't see any reason to send my men out patrolling in the dark; far better to let the enemy come to me.
But we agreed to end before any serious fighting occurred, because it wasn't going the way Bootie wanted it to.
i think historically the Germans kept most of their men in the village and sent out patrols, but that was completely against my wargaming instinct so if Bootie does another version he should give the Germans some good reason to leave their snug warm houses and go patrolling in the dark..

If anybody wants to test it with me I would be willing as well. I guess Bootie is going to want an AAR on it. I am a simple guy so either I will say it is good or it sucks. Chances are it is probably DAMN GOOD.

Greetings,
Mr. Smith and I just finished a PBEM of this a few days ago. I managed a tactical victory as the Allies, but I also got 4 or 5 additional minutes at the end that allowed me to push the remnants of my troops into the town and sweep the last defenders. Without the extra minutes I suspect a draw at best.

I can tell you the reason for sending out patrols. Depending which direction you send them, they can cut-off and or kill various command units who are isolated early on. You can inflict casualties on out of command units trying to link up with command units before they assemble into a stronger force.

I nearly gave up about 2/3rds of the way through this battle after my attempt to form up and attack from my left flank got caught in a mortar barrage after running into a patrol. My second advance was center left and another failure.
I finally shifted the remaining squads and any supporting teams I could muster and put them on the right flank, an area I had previously abandoned because of an early encounter at the start of the game that left me more rattled than injured.

While remnants of the units that attempted the first two advances kept maneuvering and doing light area fire along the left flank and center, I managed to advance the remaining healthy units along the enemy's left. I thought it was a good battle and lucky for me to get the advantage at the end, which my opponent would confirm, was the additional random minutes at the very end. I did not have a single Allied unit in the objective area at the end of regulation.
I thought it was well done.

Hey, I just downloaded this and am doing an H2H game with WinOrLose. First time through for both of us. I'm playing allied and having a blast. I think we're more likely to run out of ammo than time at this point.

Back
Top Bottom