Normandy - new picts

Gameplay will be the same like CMSF - so you'll be able to play it either realtime or turn-based with your beloved blue bar. The engine is, after all, the same; and CMSF has changed a lot form the first incarnation. A lot of things will be different, of course - you'll get water, bridges, rain, hedgerows... and no more first-shot-a-kill tank battles. Thing is: BFC need to have it play in realtime so they can cater to the needs common gamer (whatever that might be) out there who rather play realtime than turn-based. Because if they'd just count on those 'true' wargamers to earn their coin, they'd already be out of business.

And lest I forget it: They didn't abandon CMC - theat was a guy in now ay related to BFC who tokk it upon himself to program a campaign system which simply didn't work because the CMx1 engine wasn't suited for it. After that guy had spent huge amoutns of money (more or less all his savings for bad days) hes topped because he coudln't go on anymore and there simply were too many things broken with the core programming which couldn't be fixed. A shame, really - but sometimes things just can't be done.

I am just hoping for the best for Normandy - I hope they really utilize the good from the CMx1 engine, and vamp it up!

Those true wargamers seen this company through 3 incarnations of the original Combat Mission though.

That is correct - but each CMx1 title sold less than the first, CMBO being by far the most popular. And nowadays it's just about the numbers you sell, not the quality of the customers. Apart from that, a lot of the 'fans of the first hour' will probably never again buy a new BFC title. And judging from what I read here, some of you won't either because you do have very explicit expectations which most likely won't be fulfilled.

Apart from that, a lot of the 'fans of the first hour' will probably never again buy a new BFC title. .
If their product is orientated towards the wargaming community and they produce a game similar to those that excited the previus mentioned community they ll have lots of loyal customers.Look for example Matrix company.
On the other hand if their target audience is the Company of Heroes fans or fans of similar games, i think also that the wargaming community will turn their backs on them.
Nobody said that CM1 series are perfect still there some bugs and some things that could be improved but still after years there are lots of people playing those games and lots of people that will buy anything up to those standards.

Have you played CMSF? If not, please do so. I know it's modern warfare (and also in teh desert), but you'll see what the new engine will give us. ToW is VERY different from CM, believe me. I have played both. Just because there's 'Battlefront' written somewhere on a game box doesn't mean they have made it. There is a very dsitinct difference between developers and publishers. And most titles BFC currently sell are just published but not developed and which tehy think are of suitable quality to give their name for - and it fills their pockets so they can continue to work on CM.

I ve played CMSF many times,i have the basic game,earlier versions were buggy but with the latest patch the game works fine.
Its not the game engine that make people sceptical IMO, its the features such as QB system, victory conditions,oversized files that make pbem games unstable and last but not least BFC's attitude in their forums that tend to attack anyone that critisize or post sthing negative about a game of theirs as IMO its a quite unprofesional behaviur and can be translated as buy it as it is ,dont make any comments this is our product we dont care about ur opinion.

Well, I can clarify a few things:

1) The QB system will be overhauled. No idea what will come of it, but they're working on it.
2) What about victory conditions? Do you want to have flags back and opponents sacking you because they got all the flags although they lost 95% of their manpower? I like assymetrical victory conditions - you can simulate much more diverse combat environments and even take casualties into account when looking at victory conditions - which for the Wehrmacht will be a VERY big issue.
3) No idea about PBEM - haven't played a single MP game in CMSF yet and don't know anything about the new.
4) Regarding BFC's attitude: I agree Steve's sometimes a bit too harsh when expressing his attitude - but who isn't? He'S only human after all, and has had to put up with a lot of crap from a lot of rude people. From what I know of him he is open to everything including criticism, as long as it is justified and the person in question does beahve in a proper way. Which isn't the case more often than not, I'm afraid.

I ve played CMSF many times,i have the basic game,earlier versions were buggy but with the latest patch the game works fine.
Its not the game engine that make people sceptical IMO, its the features such as QB system, victory conditions,oversized files that make pbem games unstable and last but not least BFC's attitude in their forums that tend to attack anyone that critisize or post sthing negative about a game of theirs as IMO its a quite unprofesional behaviur and can be translated as buy it as it is ,dont make any comments this is our product we dont care about ur opinion.

Agreed 100% Cargol. I am a hardline wargamer, but for the sake of my wallet and my time...I just want something that is reliable. Most games these days are such crap, most cannot even step up to the legacies for many reasons. Attractive as it may seem, the final product is usually a bust.

Back
Top Bottom