Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Operation Konrad - Round 4 General Thread

OnePingOnly

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Here is the updated campaign map going into Round 4:
Round 4 Prep 1.jpg

Reserves:
  • 4th Kavallerie Brigade is added to German reserve pool
  • No additions to Soviet forces
  • No additions to the Budapest forces
Sequence:
  1. Both sides issue orders: Reserve deployments, German attacks, Soviet counterattacks - by midnight TUESDAY March 26.
  2. German players are notified of counterattacks
  3. Both sides pick battalions to use and update the deployment matrices - by midnight WEDNESDAY March 27
  4. Campaign map is updated and published.
  5. Battles to be issued by Friday evening March 30, with a start date by Sunday, March 31
The Deployment Matrices have been updated in the team-specific Dropboxes:
A "Round 4" tab has been added to each Deployment Matrix
Soviet commanders have been rotated, per schedule
Available units/reserves have been updated
Cells in YELLOW will require input

Tracks to Budapest Notes:
The German team may make up to 2 deployment "moves." This could include any combination of adding Reserve units to Tracks, and/or pulling Reserve units from Tracks and back to the Reserve Pool.

The Soviet team may deploy up to 2 reserve units on different tracks. Remember that Soviet reserves are required for a counterattack - Soviet Core Units CANNOT counterattack.

Remember that any Reserve unit pulled out of the line cannot be immediately placed into the line elsewhere - they must go to the reserve Pool for this Round.

The Soviets may counterattack against ONE zone. As counterattacks are not allowed against starting zones (on the far left), the possible Soviet counterattack locations are Tokod, Tarjan, or Csakvar. If the Soviets choose to counterattack, the battle type will be dictated by the type of defending unit chosen by the German commander: If the German player elects to use an Infantry battalion, the resulting battle will be a Soviet Probe; If he elects to use an Armor or Armored Infantry battalion, the resulting battle will be a Meeting Engagement.

The German player will be notified of a counterattack, and will have the opportunity to declare which unit will defend (if more than one is present). The Soviet player will not know what type of battle until orders/deployments are given, and must take into consideration that German reserve deployments may change the composition of the defending force. The German player may not know which specific battalion will be counterattacking, when a counterattacking unit has more than one battalion. Note the rules changes to improve Fog of War in this area.

Budapest Notes:
The map shows German unit locations from the last round, but none of these are “locked,” and @Cargol is free to change these around during Orders.

Edited to remove German Budapest counterattack option, as other requisites have not been met.

Maps:
Maps for Round 4 are up:
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Op Konrad/Op Konrad QB Maps?di=left_nav_browse
The final map depends on whether or not there is a counterattack, and the nature of the counterattack matchup.

Pilis Track: @Brille vs @jackal
OK Dorog Rd4 Meet (default)
OK Tokod Rd4 Soviet CA Probe
OK Tokod Rd4 Soviet CA Meet

Gerecse Track: @Drifter Man vs @Bleskaceq Czechmate!
OK Germely Meet (default)
OK Tarjan Rd4 Sov CA Meet

Vertes Track: @dkchapuis vs @Monty's Mighty Moustache
OK Bicske Rd4 ME (default)
OK Csakvar Rd4 Sov CA ME

Velence Track: @Guardsman vs @Spoogles
OK Osi Rd4 GAtk Country

Puszta Track: @Shady Side vs @Gorst
OK Balatonfokajar Rd4 GAtk

Budapest: @Cargol vs. @Aurelius
Aurelius picks one of the following:
BU-Train Station Probe
BU-Eagle Hill Probe
BU-Csepel Probe
BU-Cemetery Probe
BU-Margit Island Rd4

There's a few minor variations for the Soviet counterattacks if they end up being Probes instead of ME should the Germans defend with infantry only. But I won't bother making those until orders phase is done. TBH it only affects start-up zones and obj placement,

Last edited:
Is the possibility of a German counterattack a new modification in the rules? If I read the rules well, a German counterattack would only be possible if the Russians have captured 4 defensive zones. Also in the two threads (Round 4 General Thread and Round 3 Thread) there is contradicting information about Budapest battle. In one thread it is mentioned that the Russians will pcik a zone to attack and in the other that the Germans might counterattack.
Could you please elaborate?
@OnePingOnly

Last edited:
Is the possibility of a German counterattack a new modification in the rules? If I read the rules well, a German counterattack would only be possible if the Russians have captured 4 defensive zones. Also in the two threads (Round 4 General Thread and Round 3 Thread) there is contradicting information about Budapest battle. In one thread it is mentioned that the Russians will pcik a zone to attack and in the other that the Germans might counterattack.
Could you please elaborate?
@OnePingOnly
@Cargol you read the rules better than I did in the THREE times I did so when putting together this e-mail and the rules update. Grrrr. You are quite correct, and the OP has been edited to reflect this. Apologies for the confusion.

I believe it should be Aurelius at Budapest vs Cargol this round.

Sorry for delays on our part - I missed this thread completely and was still waiting for the kick-off!
We'll complete the deployment matrix asap.

Movement orders are in! Thank you!
Here is the updated campaign map:
Round 4 Start.jpg

Germans reinforce the Pilis track with the 3rd Kavallerie Brigade. No other reserve move was made.
Soviets reinforce the Vertes Track with the 23rd Tank Corps. The 1st Guards Mech Corps was pulled from the Puszta Track back to the Reserve pool.

The Soviets are counter-attacking at Csakvar with the 23rd Tank Corps.
The Soviets are making another attempt to capture Margit Island, using the 316th Rifle Division.

Pilis: German Meeting Engagement at Dorog, no bonus points. @Brille vs @jackal
Gerecse: German Meeting Engagement at Germely. Could have 10% bonus points, depending on German forces used. @Drifter Man vs @Bleskaceq
Vertes: Soviet Meeting Engagement. Soviets get 10% bonus. @dkchapuis vs. @Monty's Mighty Moustache
Velence: German attack at Osi. Germans get 10% bonus. @Guardsman vs @Spoogles
Puszta: German attack at Balatonfokajar. No bonus points. @Shady Side vs @Gorst
Margit Island: Soviet Probe. No bonus points, no vehicles. @Cargol vs @Aurelius

All battles will be 45 minutes except Margit Island which is back at 30 minutes like the previous 2 battles there given the similar size, distance between start line and objectives, the terrain, and the closeness of the prior outcomes.

Please check and updated the Deployment matrices with which Battalion and unit you plan to use in combat (or just IM me).

Second - please go ahead and set up your Dropboxes and invite me. That way, I can start dropping in the Turn 2 files as soon as each player pairing gets me their Battalions.

Once done, I will publish the battle parameters and everyone can start Round 4 battles!!!!

@Aurelius @Brille @Drifter Man @jackal @dkchapuis @Bleskaceq @Guardsman @Monty's Mighty Moustache @Shady Side @Spoogles @Cargol @Gorst

I'm going to go ahead and publish the battles here, and will provide the battle-specific information (less FOW) int he team threads as the final details are set. I'll put File 001s in Dropboxes as this is completed and the DBs are set up.

Budapest - Margit Island:
Historical: Margit (Margaret) Island was part of the final defense of Pest, and remained linked to the Western bank of the Danube via the remaining half of the Margaret Bridge. The Germans used it as an aerial supply landing field, and to recover supplies floated down the Danube from upriver. The Soviets crossed the frozen river ice at night and launched a dawn attack that split the island in two. For much of January, the Germans and Soviets fought within earshot of each other from trench positions until the German defenders ran short of supplies and the island was abandoned.

Campaign: The Soviet 151st Rifle Division AND the 63rd Guards Rifle Division both failed to capture Margit Island, but the Soviets have occupied the southern half, including the Margit Bridge which was immediately blown by the Germans in Buda. The German retain control of the northern half of the island, backed up to the Arpad bridges at the northern terminus. The Soviets are tasked with finishing the job and bringing the entire island under control.
  • German Player - @Cargol
  • Soviet Player - @Aurelius
  • Battle type – Soviet Probe
  • Battle size – Medium
  • Length of Battle – 30 minutes
  • Year/Month - January 1945
  • Weather – Heavy Snow
  • Ground condition - Light Snow
  • Temperature - Freezing
  • Force Adjustment: None
  • Special note: No vehicles

Gerecse Mountains - Gyermely:
Historical:
KG Eicke of the 3rd SS Totenkopf Division reached Gyermely on January 5 of Operation Konrad I, and attempted to take the neighboring town of Szomor. Soviet anti-tank guns destroyed two Panthers that entered the town, and accompanying infantry were almost wiped out in. A force of 40+ Soviet tanks was in Szomor, and a Pak-front had been erected on the ground overlooking the Gyermely-Szomor road. A pitched battle ensued in Szomor as part of a German envelopment, with German infantry close-assaulting Soviet tanks and Soviet anti-tank guns. The German captured the town, but the Soviets launched a counterattack between Gyermely and Szomor that was broken up by German AT guns and Tigers. The next day, German infantry attempted to secure the hill south of Gyermely to protect their flank. This was stopped by Soviet artillery. and was followed by a Soviet tank counterattack from the dead ground south of the hill and into Gyermely itself. With the Germans unable to take the hill and control the approaches to Gyermely, the Totenkopf Division was never able to continue south to Bicske in strength. This was one of the critical engagements in Konrad I.

Campaign: Led by a fearsome anti-aircraft halftrack charge and infantry assault while almost all of schwere-Abteilung 509’s King Tigers held back, the Germans captured Tarjan, and have proceeded southeast to Gyermely. It is hilly farmland terrain. The Germans must capture Gyermely itself, the town of Szomor across the valley, and key terrain overlooking the approaches. Only then can the Germans advance on towards Bicske and Budapest.
  • German Player - @Drifter Man
  • Soviet Player - @Bleskaceq
  • Battle type – Meeting Engagement (German Attacker)
  • Battle size – LARGE
  • Length of Battle – 45 minutes
  • Weather – Heavy Snow
  • Temperature - Freezing

Velence - Osi:

Historical: The area northwest of Osi had been the site of multiple weak, failed German counterattacks in December 1944. For Operation Konrad I, the 1st Panzer Division staged a diversionary attack on Osi on January 1, 1945. The Soviets expected a major counterattack in Hungary in early January, and believed that Osi was the focal point for German operations aimed at Stuhlweissenburg / Szekesfehervar and on to Budapest. As a result, Osi was fortified and there were significant reserves behind it. The Germans captured the town on January 1, but pulled back after a major counterattack. The diversion was successful in pinning Soviet units that could otherwise have deployed north against Konrad I in the Gerecse Mountains.

On January 18, the 1st Panzer Division again assaulted Osi and captured it after breaching significant fortifications and minefields. From there, the 1st Panzer was able to push on to Lake Velence.

Campaign: The Germans have been unable to take Osi in three weeks’ hard fighting that has depleted the German forces. The Soviets are also nearly bled white. After coming close to a breakthrough in a swampy area west of town, the Germans are attempting to punch through even further southwest. Spotting this via aerial reconnaissance during a break in the weather, the Soviets are scrambling to plug the gap with the last of their infantry. The Germans need to secure key terrain along the highway in order to bypass Osi and begin the advance toward Stuhlweissenberg.
  • German Player - @Guardsman
  • Soviet Player - @Spoogles
  • Battle type – German Attack
  • Battle size – Medium
  • Weather – Heavy Snow
  • Temperature - Freezing
  • Points Adjustment: Germans +10%

Puszta - Balatonfokajar:

Historical: IV. SS-Pz.Korps launched its attack between Lake Balaton on January 18, 1945 as part of Operation Konrad III, with the optimistic goals of reaching the Danube, encircling the Soviet 4th Guards Army deployed west of Budapest, and relieving Budapest itself. The 3rd Panzer Division met light resistance and was able to drive south south-west to the Sarviz Canal on the main axis of attack and the Sio Canal on the operation’s right flank. The 5th SS Panzer Division ran into resistance from the 1st Guards Fortified Region troops in Balatonfokajar, and spent the day clearing out the infantry and machine gun nests from the town before being able to advance to the Malom Canal en route to the Sarviz.

Campaign: After stalemate in northern Balatonfokajar, the Germans attempted to blast through the southern portion of the town in the 3rd week of January. The Soviet 1st Guards Mech Corps with their Emchas (M4's) managed to butcher the German force and decisively control the southern stream crossings. With the threat of the Emchas in mind, German command decided to make another attempt to push through the northern town, from ground captured in previous battles. Although the 1st Guards Mech has withdrawn, the German attack plan marches on...

• German Player - @Shady Side
  • Soviet Player - @Gorst
  • Battle size – Medium
  • Weather – Heavy Snow
  • Temperature - Freezing
  • Points Adjustment: None

Vertes Mountains - Csakvar:

Historical:
By January 6, Operation Konrad I had become stuck and unable to advance further through the Gerecse Mountains. The IV SS-Pz Korps had advanced through Tarjan to Many and Bicske through he mountains, but was assailed from all sides by Soviet reserves. The German I.Kav Korps overseeing the Vertes mountains had been unable to breakthrough to Csakvar to relieve pressure on IV SS-Pz Korps. This prompted the change in avenue to attack to Konrad II, along the Danube River and through the Pilis Mountains.

Although Zamoly was finally captured during Konrad III, The 20th Guards Rifle Corps and the 68 Rifle Corps managed to hold the Vertes mountains and the Csakvar area throughout the Konrad operations.

Campaign: Led by the 5th SS Panzer Division ‘Wiking’, the Germans achieved a breakthrough at Csakvar. While massing in Csakvar for the push east to Bicske, the Germans have been alerted of an imminent Soviet counterattack by the 23rd Tank Corps. The Soviets are trying to outflank the Germans, attacking through the hamlet of Gurdi-major.
  • German Player - @dkchapuis
  • Soviet Player - @Monty's Mighty Moustache
  • Battle type – Meeting Engagement (Soviet attacker)
  • Battle size – Medium
  • Weather – Heavy Snow
  • Temperature - Freezing
  • Points Adjustment: Soviets +10%

Last edited:
Vertes Mountains - Csakvar:

Historical:
By January 6, Operation Konrad I had become stuck and unable to advance further through the Gerecse Mountains. The IV SS-Pz Korps had advanced through Tarjan to Many and Bicske through he mountains, but was assailed from all sides by Soviet reserves. The German I.Kav Korps overseeing the Vertes mountains had been unable to breakthrough to Csakvar to relieve pressure on IV SS-Pz Korps. This prompted the change in avenue to attack to Konrad II, along the Danube River and through the Pilis Mountains.

Although Zamoly was finally captured during Konrad III, The 20th Guards Rifle Corps and the 68 Rifle Corps managed to hold the Vertes mountains and the Csakvar area throughout the Konrad operations.

Campaign: Led by the 5th SS Panzer Division ‘Wiking’, the Germans achieved a breakthrough at Csakvar. While massing in Csakvar for the push east to Bicske, the Germans have been alerted of an imminent Soviet counterattack by the 23rd Tank Corps. The Soviets are trying to outflank the Germans, attacking through the hamlet of Gurdi-major.
  • German Player - @dkchapuis
  • Soviet Player - @Monty's Mighty Moustache
  • Battle size – Medium
  • Weather – Heavy Snow
  • Temperature - Freezing
  • Points Adjustment: Soviets +10%
I have been following the campaign and enjoying the AARs vicariously. Thank you to everyone for playing.

I thought that Vertes Mountains was a Meeting engagement ?

"Vertes: Soviet Meeting Engagement. Soviets get 10% bonus. @dkchapuis vs. @Monty's Mighty Moustache"

I have been following the campaign and enjoying the AARs vicariously. Thank you to everyone for playing.

I thought that Vertes Mountains was a Meeting engagement ?

"Vertes: Soviet Meeting Engagement. Soviets get 10% bonus. @dkchapuis vs. @Monty's Mighty Moustache"
Thanks DP. Corrected now.
Cut and paste eror. Cut and paste eror. Cut and paste eror. ;)

Last one!

Pilis Mountains - Dorog:

Historical: After conducting a crossing from the north to the south bank of the Danube on January 1, 1945 which outflanked Soviet defenders along the river bank, the 96th Infantry Division moved east towards Gran (Esztergom). Tokod was captured on January 3, but then advance elements ran into a strong Soviet blocking force near Dorog, consisting of a Soviet rifle regiment and both T-34 and JS-2 tanks. Despite the mismatch, the 96th attacked Dorog on January 5. By this time, most of its StuGs were out of action, and the attack was a failure. Over the next few days, hard fighting resulted in the germans nearly encircling the town. A major push on January 7 resulted in the Germans capturing the town center, but a counterattack by the 37th Tank Brigade of the 2nd Guards Mech Corps resulted in them being pushed back to the outskirts.

By January 9, the German 711th Infantry Division had advanced past Dorog along the banks of the Danube to Gran. This opportunity to advance in the north became Konrad II, and both the Wiking and Totenkopf Divisions were re-oriented to attack through the Pilis mountains. German forces advanced to Piliszentlelek, but despite many attempts, they were unable to capture Dorog, which remained an obstacle to concentrating forces, resupply, and communications for the Germans that had advanced further east. On January 12, Konrad II was canceled.

Campaign: After capturing Tokod and repelling a Soviet armored counter-attack, the Sturmpanzer Abteilung 219 attacked Dorog, which lies at the base of hills that control two valleys - that lead further through the Pilis Mountains. T-34s from the 18th Tank Corps pushed the Germans back. Dorog was subjected to multiple heavy air attacks during a lull in the snow, and the Soviets withdrew to the east. Now, both sides are moving to claim the ruins of the town, and the key surrounding terrain.
  • German Player - @Brille
  • Soviet Player - @jackal
  • Battle type – Meeting Engagement (German attacker)
  • Battle size – Medium
  • Weather – Heavy Snow
  • Temperature - Freezing
  • Force Adjustment: None

Back