Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Order of Battle WW2

These news are almost one year old... ;) This is the initial bootcamp and the first scenario of the campaigns, but then you still have to buy each campaign from US Pacific to the last Kriegsmarine.
The good thing is that you only need to buy the DLCs you're interested in. I like Morning Sun, Winter War and Blitzkrieg, less fan of the Pacific campaigns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winter War is the best IMO. Blitzkrieg comes second.

But I've never been fond of Pacific's islands hoping, so I might no be the best judge of the scenarios focusing on that theater.

I do not have Kriegsmarine or Winterwar, but everyone says Winterwar is the best. Have to put it on my future purchase list...

I do not have Kriegsmarine either ... but I think it will be the only one I don't get.
Naval warfare isn't my stuff, and I haven't enjoyed the naval part in the other campaigns.

Same here, no intention either of buying Kriegsmarine...

Doh! You are right of course. Had a play of the tutorial mission. I'm not convinced the "animated" troops etc add a lot to the game.
I thought Kriegsmarine looked a bit odd.
Sounds like Winterwar is the one to get - perhaps on sale.

Well, price is right to DL'd the basic game and will go take a look around. Being a veteran of PG and PC I shouldn't have much problem getting into this.
Tired of waiting for PC2 to get released and from what I've seen it's not likely to be a lot different than OoB anyway. Just more expensive.

I have the whole series except for the latest DLC. I have played enough to know it's easy to learn and it's entertaining and sometimes challenging. I have not played it for a while but when I do I get up to speed quickly and generally enjoy myself.

Well, that was fun. Watched the IJN bomb the crap out of Pearl Harbor as I started the U.S. Campaign. Accomplished major objective by not getting ALL my BB's sunk, but none of the minor ones. That probably cost me some purchase points, but didn't wanna replay it. Still some minor things I don't know, but didn't touch the manual and didn't miss anything important. Very intuitive and it has a nice, ongoing tutorial tips system if you want/need it.

Bought the entire Pacific "bundle" for only $24 from Steam. That's 5 DLC's so those complaining about the "play for free" misrepresentation are a bit naive, or kids w/o daddy's CC. The basic game has a few scenarios that are a free with the initial game DL, but the game company has to make $ somehow. Given the prices on Steam atm they aren't making much. Seems great gaming value to me.

Alrighty then. On to the Philippines. Only have 4 core units and upgraded my armor formation from Stuarts to Lees at a great cost. Must make sure they survive the mission. Battles is a delaying action and looks damn tuff.

Hmm. May be time to flip through the ol' manual.
OoB is a bit more complex than its predecessors. Supply seems a big deal and the AI is obsessed with maneuvering for the purpose of cutting supply. Nicely done.
Then there are quite few info symbols that I need to learn about both on the map and the unit info cards.
I haven't even engaged in ship combat and that process is also much more complicated.
My curiosity is motivated by the AI giving me hard time at mid level difficulty. Won the last battle, but at a cost of 2/3 of my core units and that will just not do.
No indeed.

Still haven't read much of the manual because, well, because I don't like having to read manuals, and you can't make me if I don't wanna! So there.
I did have to ratchet back the difficulty level to 2/5 because I'm crap, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Was able to finish the last battle replay with all my meager core units surviving, but doubt it was the difficulty level. More like I knew from my mistakes I needed to run faster.
I am getting tired of the Japanese army swarming me like army ants. Army ants? Japanese army? See what I've done there? {sigh{} None of my core units have been able actually fight long enough to gain any experience. Not one * earned by anyone. There will come a day!
This game is interesting in that each unit type has some specialties that others don't so it takes a little work to try to get the best of them in a battle situation. That is if I ever stop running as I am now on my way to getting pushed back to Corregidor.
Anyway, if you like these kind of games OoB seems to have advanced the genre another step or two and I like what I see.

Pretty sure I've already gotten my money's worth.
I switched from the U.S. Campaign because I got trashed at Coral Sea 3 times. I'm pretty sure the AI cheats at naval combat. No matter where I positioned my carriers, and remained hidden (or at least I thought so) the Japanese carrier attack planes made a straight line for me from ridiculous range. So, decided a little land combat would give me some perspective.
Semper Fidelis! Played the Marine Campaign. Although the Japanese rather badly handled my guys early on it didn't take to long for me to improve my tactics. Difficult level 2 is perfect for me. I occasionally romp, but it also comes down to only a margin of 2-3 turns as well. Once tactics improved it was then up to me to do a serious study of the lay of the land. Victory conditions frequently require long, time chewing, trips all the way across the map. Also, the way to get leaders more frequently (which can be assigned to specific units to grant small combat perks) is to complete the secondary missions as well as win the battle.
Once Japan was done in I switched allegiance to the Japanese and I am now midway into the campaign against China. Even more of a challenge in that it seems I have to travel even greater distances for secondary objectives. This requires gathering units into ad hoc battle groups for individual objectives. Yeah, still learning.
If you'd like to sit down and play a war game for a few hours and not leave your pc mentally exhausted this works pretty well.

Having beaten back the Japanese, Iwo was a b**ch!, and overrun China, I decided it was time to get back into a panzer so off to Poland!
Poland was surprisingly hard, but doable. Now I know all war gamers have that one battle that just defeats them multiple times before they finally succeed (or just give up).
For me the battle is the German assault on Norway. In Panzer General, and again with Panzer Corps, Norway took several tries before I managed a skinny victory. OoB is no different as I have now grown my losing streak to three. Last one was probably a 2-3 turn loser so getting close. I just don't have the troops and the last objective is to link the RR between Trondheim in the north and Oslo in the south. Enemy forces tend to get in the way.
If anyone has the OOB and starting location for units I'm listening. Until then, start 'er up again!

Picked this up at the sale with Red Star and the Weltkieg Pack.

oobsale.gif

As mentioned by previous posters, a fun game to play with enough rules to make it interesting. Cannot beat the AI at General level (hardest) and it gives me a good game at Colonel (2nd hardest).
Still learning the finer details but I have been impressed with its playability.

Thought I would be put off by the "graphical" counters rather than my old favourite NATO style but they sort of suit this level of game.

Any takers for a game?

Back