Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Preferences of campaigns and tournaments?

kronenblatt

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm curious and interested to hear everyone's view here on which types of tournaments and campaigns you like the most (and the least)? (I'm not thinking specific eras, armies, etc., but more the campaign and tournament complexity, length, player involvement, speed, etc.)
  • Do you prefer the more simple ones where the map and the campaign is just a pretext for playing FoG games?
  • Or the more complex/complicated ones where the strategic campaign on a map is a game in itself, sometimes but not constantly leading to battles being played out as FoG games?
  • Or something in between?
  • Or something else?
After all, we're all in it for the FUN, whether as players and game masters (GMs). :)

What do you say?

Last edited:
Reactions: mTk
@kronenblatt Thanks for thinking about picking up the FoG II tournament mantelet. Uh, is that what you're doing?
- I lean more toward the more simplified tournaments as I would pass on those like the current Rome-Pyrrhus.
- I do really like those that incorporate strat movement and supply.
- I don't enjoy mirror matches.
No, I'm not picking up any mantelet. I just like to run and play different types of campaigns and tournaments, developing new rules and settings, etc., and am therefore interested in understanding what could work here, at this forum. :)

Reactions: mTk
I'm curious and interested to hear everyone's view here on which types of tournaments and campaigns you like the most (and the least)? (I'm not thinking specific eras, armies, etc., but more the campaign and tournament complexity, length, player involvement, speed, etc.)
  • Do you prefer the more simple ones where the map and the campaign is just a pretext for playing FoG games?
  • Or the more complex/complicated ones where the strategic campaign on a map is a game in itself, sometimes but not constantly leading to battles being played out as FoG games?
  • Or something in between?
  • Or something else?
After all, we're all in it for the FUN, whether as players and game masters (GMs). :)

What do you say?
@chiquichops @Rico : what are your thoughts?

And all other people, for that matter.

Last edited:
I have a few thoughts but it might take me a while to write them all down. To sum up: I prefer not to have mirror battles in a campaign, generally speaking, although I do enjoy a mirror battle outside a scenario situation.
I like a campaign where you have to think about movement, supply lines, where there might be an imbalance in points according to circumstances such a as reinforcements etc. The current campaign is a good example of all of these. I want to play a campaign where the other dynamics matter, it's not just a pretext for a FOG game, ideally. However, there can be different levels of complexity, I'm not against a very simple scenario such as a few of the recent ones we played.

Thanks everyone for input!

Once Return to Magna Graecia is concluded, not before, I'd like to launch Hearts of Lions, a campaign covering the Third Crusade (and some of its prelude), thus involving Field of Glory II: Medieval and some tailor-made army lists. It'd be based on the Crusader Rex board game (at least its map and counters) but also take inspiration from our Magna Graecia campaign.

Two factions: Christians and Muslims. Would work splendidly with 2-4 players. In case you're interested and we can amass the required number of players, it could be run here. Otherwise, I'll try it out at Slitherine's. What do you guys say?

1700228726000.png1700228799446.png

That map looks a bit large for just 2-4 players.
No, I don't think the map will be too large, since each faction will have up to three armies. And not only about fighting FoG battles.

I think mTk/Barry would volunteer.

You're much welcome to participate, but it thought you preferred the more simplified tournaments and not the ones like Return to Magna Graecia? This campaign will be of roughly the same complexity. You're fine with the rules as they currently stand?

I don't mean to exhaust or overwhelm you, but here's an idea from summer: The Storm Before The Storms, a campaign on Roman civil wars and barbarian invasions just before the Roman West fell. It's for three (or potentially four) players (each a Roman faction) and quite simple: conquer the lands of other Roman factions, invade Roman territory as tribes, or reclaim Imperial authority in the provinces where tribal settlements have been established. A Roman faction may fight battles with tribal allies, or even with tribal armies using the Roman army as allies, depending on the situation and the number of established tribal settlements in its provinces, allowing for great variety and unpredictability in which army lists that will face off against which.

So a simple campaign with a specific historical context.

1701989625669.png
1701990227367.png

Last edited:
A nice map from Julius Caesar board game, useful for a late republican civil war campaign: Caesar versus Pompey or Octavian versus Mark Antony and Cleopatra.

View attachment 30804
For example, it could be made a what-if campaign starting in 49 BCE with several contenders involved. 2-5, depending on the interest. Victory to the surviving pretender who accumulates the highest sum of Victory City values (e.g., Alexandria 2) with a sudden death when only one is left or a certain sum is reached. Other than that, First Punic War rules or similar.

I've posted about Hearts of Lions at Slitherine as well, but with the ambition of running it here and lure a player or so from there. :) I'll do a quality check on them before entering... ;)
Hearts of Lions has now kicked off with four players, two in each faction, and run on Discord and to some extent Slitherine.

First battle, Muslim assault of Gaza, was a massacre (with me failing severely to command the few Christian forces), but a field battle, at Beaufort, is now underway.

:2charge:

1708941962497.png

Back