Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Quotes

"The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on."

Ulysses S. Grant

wow louis

and the quote is truism.

use this method in gaming.It almost always works well except for brilliant defenders.
i've met a few
and may i say
too few to meeeeeention.
I did what I had to do and saw it through without exeeeeeeeeeemption
I planned each battle now, each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Erwin Rommel remarked about campaigning in Africa that: "Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success."

“What you don’t know going in is that when you come out, you will be scarred for life. Whether you were in for a week, a month, or a year—even if you come home without a scratch—you are never, ever going to be the same.
When I went in, I was eighteen. I thought it was all glory and you win lots of medals. You think you’re going to be the guy. Then you find out the cost is very great. Especially when you don’t see the kids you were with when you went in. Living with it can be hell. It’s like the devil presides in you. I knew what I sighed up for, yes, and I would do it again. But the reality of war—words can’t begin to describe it.”

William Guarnere 1923 –2014

Last edited:
@Louis I'll be damned if you couldn't have taken those thoughts from my mind.

Further proof that those who don't learn from History, are doomed to relive it.

- Prime Minister Winston Churchill (after the fall of France)

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs. Victory in spite of all terrors. Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival."

Best one ever ....from me to my teenage son a few years back....

Him.."What's for tea?"

Me......"Nowt wi bread taken out"..........I know, I'm such a softy...........

Steve

002.jpg
On 1944, Jim "Pee Wee" Martin parachuted into France, behind german enemy lines, in the dark of night ahead of the D-Day invasion.
On June 6, 2014, at 93, the WWII veteran jumped into Normandy again, in a full military kit, marking the anniversary of the June 6th Allied troops landing.
Before jumping he said, "They are worried about me getting hurt. I said, 'Don't worry about it. If I get hurt or I get killed, what is the difference? I've lived 93 years. I've had a good life.'"
003.jpg

In his Maxims of War, Napoleon Bonaparte wrote;
“It is exceptional and difficult to find in one man all the qualities necessary for a great general. What is most desirable, and which instantly sets a man apart, is that his intelligence or talent are balanced by his character or courage.”

About the D-Day... When the Operation Overlord was almost called "Operation Mothball"

The British Inter Service Security Board had the role of assigning clearly differentiated names for each of the numerous Allied operations then underway. Unfortunately the only name available was “MOTHBALL.”

The famed British leader W. Churchill is quoted as saying:

“Do you mean to tell me that those bloody fools want our grandchildren 50 years from now to be calling the operation that liberated Europe Operation Mothball? If they can’t come up with a better code name for our landing than that, I damn well will pick the code name myself,” Churchill remarked.

According to British Lt. Gen. Frederick Morgan (1894/1967), Churchill thought for a moment and then shouted, “Overlord. We shall call it Overlord.”

That is how the greatest D-Day of them all came to be known to posterity as Operation Overlord. It was one of Churchill’s most important personal contributions to the invasion plan.

That is how the greatest D-Day of them all came to be known to posterity as Operation Overlord.
Except people do not know it as Operation Overlord. We know that but the majority of average janes and joes have no idea what you mean by "Operation Overlord". They know it as "D-day". I'm not even sure how many people would recognize that even :-(

Back