Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Seelow Heights DAR (vs Tchoup)

Could they be partial penetrations? I've seen quite a bit of those...

Yes, they are partial penetrations. They leave a smaller graphical hole than a full penetration does. Well done DAR by the way.

How close were they? They could be Panzerfaust a HEAT penetration makes small holes.

Stole that idea from @Drifter Man :
  • Screenshots from inside the scenario editor both with and without elevation
  • Paste them together into a big map (again with and without elevation) inside an image program (in my case GIMP)
  • Use the map with elevation to draw lines on a sperate layer
  • Paste the layer with lines on the map without elevations
  • Add numbers to indicate the heights
For my previous game with Tchoup I even went a step further and gave each height their own color... but i made life a bit easier for myself this time. :LOL:

I dug up the topo map of our last game:
master map - topo.png

This map helped me a lot that time. I was defending (he had to take the town and the ridge "35" to the left) and made his life hell by only deploying on reverse slope defenses (he started at the bottom on the high round). He lost so many men in those forest slopes....

This game (Seelow Heights) has some reverse slopes around the railroad, so maybe I'll get some of that treatment back at me :LOL: Though it makes less sense to do that as German. Main reason I chose that tactic in our last game was because it was a fairly open map (with limited armor) and didn't feel like duking it out with German (mounted) infantry on long range. Those Russian SMGs are hell at close range, at longer range those German MG42's are deadly, especially with halftracks added to the mix, so wanted to close range effectively.

Stole that idea from @Drifter Man :
  • Screenshots from inside the scenario editor both with and without elevation
  • Paste them together into a big map (again with and without elevation) inside an image program (in my case GIMP)
  • Use the map with elevation to draw lines on a sperate layer
  • Paste the layer with lines on the map without elevations
  • Add numbers to indicate the heights
For my previous game with Tchoup I even went a step further and gave each height their own color... but i made life a bit easier for myself this time. :LOL:

Damn that sounds too complicated for an MS Paint gronk like me. o_O

:LOL: It is, but it does allow you to really get to know the map in a much better way. I find the process is value adding, not just the end result.

Edit: typed doesn't instead of does haha :D

I still think it might be some computer tool developed by Drifter which draws the elevation lines automatically, and that you are just pulling our leg by pretending to do all that manual work yourselves :)

I still think it might be some computer tool developed by Drifter which draws the elevation lines automatically, and that you are just pulling our leg by pretending to do all that manual work yourselves :)
Sadly, no such tool exists, but I saw a thread on the Battlefront forum with one player saying he developed one.

If you can decipher the .btt of the scenario file it's quite easy to do... My programming days are long behind me though, So I'm more then happy to let somebody else do it :)

If you can decipher the .btt of the scenario file it's quite easy to do... My programming days are long behind me though, So I'm more then happy to let somebody else do it :)
He did from the image file with elevations, identifying the numbers printed on it to assign elevation to each action tile.

Sadly I realized on turn 2 that obviously instead of rocket firing the tank positions, I should have used the 122mm batteries to smoke those positions. ...
, so I guess I'll just have to roll with the plan I have...
I'm late as usual. Great to have your DAR Blady. I know nothing about the Russian war machine so a good look see for me.

Generally I find if I suddenly have a better idea (late but not too) it is best to stop what I'm doing and reorganize. All I've experienced is regret for not having done so.

Considering a prepared defence 1 for 1 is simply wonderful.

Back