Starting to feel a bit disillusioned

B

Bidermann

I think CMBN is a great game with lots of fantastic features but! The Art fire is destroying the game, yes I except that Art was a big battle field killer and that is fine when you are playing with 2 battalions of infantry. But with the actions we are playing its becoming to all powerful and spoiling the game.

Three ideas that could help is

1) extend the time before the Art fire comes down
2)reduce the effect of the He rounds landing so that they dont kill some damn many .
3)increase the cost of buying the art to reflect its killing power.

At the moment the enjoyment of playing is starting to drop off .

Yes bigger maps could work as well, but if the map is to big with only a few troops there is alot of emptyness .

Also I think scenario designers need to think about how much Art each side has . I am playing a very small battle with Hedgehog and the amount of motars and off table art is just plain stupied . I plan not to use all my art otherwise I could just bring it all down on a few houses that Hedge is in and win with out moving foward! Just mental

Also I think scenario designers need to think about how much Art each side has . I am playing a very small battle with Hedgehog and the amount of motars and off table art is just plain stupied . I plan not to use all my art otherwise I could just bring it all down on a few houses that Hedge is in and win with out moving foward! Just mental

Yeah thats the situation I find myself in just now. :)

Hey you got our latest turns?

So how does an American attacker overcome the advantage of a defender who is positioned in the bocage. Should he just banzi attack over the open field? Maybe move his shermans and M-10's toe to toe with the more powerful Tigers, panthers and emplaced guns with their greater defense with thicker armor and greater defense factor being behind bocage?And I understand the reason for the big cats , why not use the advantage it's there?

As you have said and history bears out, the Germans considered the American arty to be their biggest problem in the Normandy conflict.

I honestly ask, (player secret strategies be damned) this has been a concern of mine since starting pbem these last couple months. I wish to be fair but it seems everyone goes for the ultimate advantage, which can be understood.

If it were simply a matter of a equal engagement the Germans would never pick the big cats and the Americans would never pick
massive amounts of arty. And the xylaphones for the amis are very cheap, which I have never used because it does seem excessive. But at what point does one say well ifhe's going to stock up on cats then my only advantage over the gemans is arty and by golly I'm going to use it?

Yes bigger maps would help balance the arty, but as already noted both in this thread and by players I've played against it's a lot to try to defend.

What is the answer I don't know. You want some fairness because it is just a game ,yet the imbalance in forces causes the need for solutions that border on what some would call unfair. I really like the game but I see this too as an area that might and has caused hard feelings.

A very sticky wickett as some might say.

Well Im playing Diablo85 just now in a game... its a very small map with a one street village.

For a change I didnt pick any cats and thought Id go infantry heavy.

Needless to say Ive just been wiped of the map by artillery.

I dont have any hard feelings at all but in future if parameters are not hammered out beforehand and we get free reign on forces I 'will' be buying big cats. That pretty much evens things up IMO.

I always play fair.

Yes I do buy cats but never in large amounts, I always mix my force with lots of infantry and some armor support.
As for arty I always pick medium howitzers or medium mortars. I dont like pre-planned arty.

At this point al my opponents were happy about our game and never complained of me being unfair.

Having said this, once I get back from vacation I will start lots of pbem's and Domination challenges.
So who dare's? :amen: (after the 2nd of September)

Well it's only a game or at least this is what i ve been told some days ago.....

So mTk sums it really good,a pre game agreement solves the problem.

I dont have any hard feelings at all but in future if parameters are not hammered out beforehand and we get free reign on forces I 'will' be buying big cats. That pretty much evens things up IMO.

Exactly,Things need to be explicitly hammered out so everybodys happy. (yea like that's gonna happen)
And maybe it should be let the buyer beware, that way everyone knows to expect the best the enemy can field.
Again I don't know, the cats are an awesome weapons platform and untill the M-29 shows up and the Hellcat with it's speed I doubt much can be done without the arty being a balance.

Dg posted
"Yes I do buy cats but never in large amounts, I always mix my force with lots of infantry and some armor support.
As for arty I always pick medium howitzers or medium mortars"

And the desire for fairness is noted and appreciated, but if you read my AAR with Bootie how many hits did the Tiger take and still wasn't destroyed? One cat can be the deciding factor when popguns are the only attack the Americans can muster.
The perfect example is the scenario Barkmans Corner

And the desire for fairness is noted and appreciated, but if you read my AAR with Bootie how many hits did the Tiger take and still wasn't destroyed? One cat can be the deciding factor when popguns are the only attack the Americans can muster.
The perfect example is the scenario Barkmans Corner

Thanks and yes Barkmanes corner is indeed a good example. But in my case my Panther got destroyed early in the game so I was totaly blown away by the many many Shermans.
Indeed a big cat can make a difference so that is just more reason for, me atleast, that I dont buy them. I stick with Panthers, PzIV and I love Stug's and Stuh42.

Its shame that we have to have so many rules to play a battle, it would be better to have a btter balanced game made

It is only a game which is why we can discuss it in this manner.

Agree 1000% This should be fun for both sides, but being human with all the foibles that it entails we (I) tend to desire the win more than we (I) should.
Discussing it openly should help to foster the comraderie that FGM basic foundation stands for.

I like to go for the win to ofcourse but I believe and that is what I always intented that FUN is the number 1 in a game.
That is one of the reasons I quit playing World of Warcraft... Being badmouthed by a 12 year old because my dps wasn't high enough...
Come on... Its just a game LOL

Ah and war is not fair this what u ve said in a similar thread

Pretty much... and no crying if you get blasted f the map or ravaged by cats... it was your own fault for not stipulating beforehand. I can live with that. :)

Ah and war is not fair this what u ve said in a similar thread

Actually as I ponder this thread I'm inclined to agree and go with the historicall reality and just say I'm going for the best force I can muster and suggest you do the same.

Then everybody knows from the start I'm out for a piece of your ass as well you should be mine.

And as a aside I've found that the spotting rounds give me more than ample time to move my pixelltruppn and have never been hurt that bad by arty.

Caveat>>>>>>>>Xzylophones don't spot much maybe one or two and then they are so innacurrate that you have no idea where there headed. But there are so many and at 4.5 inch shells so powerfull that they are like hand grenades you only have to get close. :) So I am still be adverse to using, will see how it goes, but I believe there's enough of an arsenal to refrain from them.

Back
Top Bottom