Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Turn 2

O

Odin

@Dutch Grenadier Here's a shot of the campaign map post turn 1 (Ithikial has also placed one in our Axis HQ folder).

Campaign%20Map%20Blank%20Initial%20Axis.jpg

Personally I think we should conduct a fighting withdrawal, engaging the Soviets in skirmishes before pulling back. Alternatively we could drop striaght back to the 88s around the station, but then we'd be left without artillery support and I think our grenadiers would be overtaken by the advancing Soviet armour.

I'm not totally sure what to do with @DasTiger 's kampfguppe. we could either incorporate his units into ours, or possibly even launch a counter attack with them to try and catch the Soivet's off balance (even if it just amounts to a feint). I think the Soviets are concentrating their forces against your sector and mine, so there is a possibility we could force them to send reserves to Das Tigers sector if we did this. What do you think, could it be a goer or am I just dreaming?!?

PS @Ithikial we're missing a company of grenadiers in the centre which were the only part of kampfgruppe viking not committed in the last battle. They can be seen in the 'Viking box' in the map below:

AxisDawnresponse.jpg

Personally I think we should conduct a fighting withdrawal, engaging the Soviets in skirmishes before pulling back. Alternatively we could drop striaght back to the 88s around the station, but then we'd be left without artillery support and I think our grenadiers would be overtaken by the advancing Soviet armour.

I think a fighting withdrawl is the best option. Try to stal their advance as long as possible.

I'm not totally sure what to do with DasTiger 's kampfguppe. we could either incorporate his units into ours, or possibly even launch a counter attack with them to try and catch the Soivet's off balance (even if it just amounts to a feint). I think the Soviets are concentrating their forces against your sector and mine, so there is a possibility we could force them to send reserves to Das Tigers sector if we did this. What do you think, could it be a goer or am I just dreaming?!?

I think a counter attack would be a great option. We could both play that game.

@Dutch Grenadier what I think I'll do is move Das Tiger's AT guns from hex I9 to hex E6, If we're going to launch a feint counterattack in the south they won't be of much use down there. I think I'll also withdraw the other AT guns currently positioned in B8 to D6. The two AT gun platoons should patch the centre up for now - where most of the Soviet armour seems to be concentrated. I'd like to move the surviving 3 Jagdpanzers, currently positioned in D6, to your kampfgruppe.

How do these actions sound to you?

what I think I'll do is move Das Tiger's AT guns from hex I9 to hex E6, If we're going to launch a feint counterattack in the south they won't be of much use down there. I think I'll also withdraw the other AT guns currently positioned in B8 to D6. The two AT gun platoons should patch the centre up for now - where most of the Soviet armour seems to be concentrated. I'd like to move the surviving 3 Jagdpanzers, currently positioned in D6, to your kampfgruppe.

How do these actions sound to you?

I think it is a good move to redeploy the AT guns. (although are we really sure that all their armour is in the centre?)
We could build a second defensive line to try and halt their offensive.
Yes, I could really use that armour since all of mine is destroyed :)

What units will you use for the feint counter attack?

I'll double check the OOB again tonight when I get home tonight to clarify that discrepancy you raised Odin. Will apply an extra force of troops to the center as requested. If anything it may give you a touch of a fighting chance for this campaign turn.

Friendly GM Tip But Safe To Assume You'd Guessed This Already (because I'm feeling sorry for you guys :( ) - You aren't spotting everything the Soviets can throw at you.

Thanks @Ithikial , looks like its backs to the wall stuff for the German command.

@Dutch Grenadier their are a platoon of jdpzIV and a depleted grenadier company to use for a counter attack. Not much I know, but we could use them to try to inflict a few armour KOs, drop some arty and then withdraw. Hopefully it will stop the Soviets concentrating all their armour in the north

PS @Ithikial we also had one surviving AT gun at the end of my battle in the centre. I take it the gun has been lost during the retreat?

Official Ruling - Additional Company Grenadiers at 100% strength in campaign square E6 (with the infantry that withdrew). Company III / 2nd Batt.

Keep in mind we moved the companies around to return some semblance of Battalion C&C at the end of last turn. The center still has the Stummels as before with your taskforce Viking. No joy on the Pak gun.

Cheers @Ithikial.

Sorry to pester but there is one more unit missing. I've realised that Das Tiger also had a platoon of flak sdkfz7. I think it is my fault as I for got to add them to the last campaign map produced before the last turn's battles. This earlier campaign map pasted below includes the unit (3.Pl/3.Br./FlakAbt.272). There were 4 vehicles in all, positioned in hex J11. Any chance we could have them included once more?

Campaign%20map%20sector%20command%20turn%201%20edit.jpg

<Facepalm> This OOB is going to be the end of me.

No probs but I have that company down as destroyed on the OOB. Will adjust. Note the Soviets haven't identified this campaign square yet so no foul.

Yeah I thought the 3rd Brigade of FlakAbt.272 was wiped out. But I've since realised Das didn't use the flak platoon in his battle. I think you deserve a big one of these...:cheers:

Nice job on tracking all the lost units @Odin
We could counter attack or set up defensive positions?

Perhaps 'probe' would be a more accurate description. I don't think we should embark on a headlong assault into Soviet positions in the south, more just try to tie up some of their men, inflict a few casualties, and then withdraw. By doing that we'd prevent the Soviets concentrating their forces in the centre and north. The Soviets might attack us in the south anyway and to account for this we should probably also declare a battle in your sector in the north in case they don't declare an attack up there (with the same shoot and scoot plan we have in the south).

I would only fight in the centre if the Soviets attack us there as we would lose the AT guns when pulling back.

Sounds great to me. My men are ready for any kind of fight :)

@Ithikial how's the house build going?

Our orders are going be 'quite' simple:

1. Both surviving AT gun units are to be pulled back to E6, along with @Dutch Grenadier 's surviving grenadiers. There is also an additional company of infantry positioned in E6 which your 'post turn 1' map doesn't show (as discussed earlier).

2. The Jagdpanzer unit positioned in D6 is to be moved to A5 along with one of Dutch Grenadier's infantry companies (currently positioned in A7) and his supply platoon, the other infantry company under his command is to be pulled back to B5.

3. The infantry company, supply platoon, and Jadgpanzer units in the southern sector are all to be pulled back to I8. As discussed earlier the southern sector is missing it's mobile flak unit - this is also to be pulled back to I8.

We are going to probe the Soviet lines in the North and South. But I guess we wait for Strachwitz's moves first?

Back