WW2 Armour

I wouldn't count on the inside being in good condition anymore - those hatches won't be very tightly selad anymore and it is possible that a lot of mud 'n dirt got into the tank when it sank - as far as I know, the crew made it out which means the hatchs were open.
The thing is: surface rust always destroys the paint. And that's what hurts the collector's heart: if you clean the vehicle, you'll remove a lot of the original paint with it, no matter what you do. And you already see the primer coming through in a lot of places, which means that the original paint job has already deteriorated very much. And those pictures are from 3 years ago. Go figure.

Did you notice the winterketten (winter tracks)? It seems that they have tried to cross a snow covered swamp and did sink.

How did it end up on its roof though? thats what puzzles me, they show briefly a penetration hole in the side superstructure but its pretty small, that couldn't have blown it upside down

That looks in excellent condition, the oxygen poor environment of the bog obviously stopped it from rusting too bad, i'd hazard a guess that if they'd simply given it a new set of electronics in the engine they could probably have got it driving after a good clean. The real thing that they should have done (almost certainly out of their budget range) would have been to have dug up all the bog surrounding it and then get it as quickly as you can into an oxygen free environment for a slow and painstaking clean.

I say we take up a collection, buy it and park it at Bootie's house.:whistle:

How did it end up on its roof though? thats what puzzles me, they show briefly a penetration hole in the side superstructure but its pretty small, that couldn't have blown it upside down

It is possible that the terrain has changed - maybe there even was a small river once and some kind of temporary bridge was built to cover it and the vehicle just broke through. I think no one really knows what actually happened or what unit it belonged to. It is odd, though, that it ended up on its roof but that could have happened through a bombing attack or something.

OK. Earl of Grey, is that the same Stug? Your picture looks to have the number 21 on it and the one in the video has the number 20 (see at 3:50 on the vid). Is your photo of the Stug in your backyard? :madgrin:

OK. Earl of Grey, is that the same Stug? Your picture looks to have the number 21 on it and the one in the video has the number 20 (see at 3:50 on the vid). Is your photo of the Stug in your backyard? :madgrin:

Good point, BUT: it is one and the same. Look here VERY closely:
f16.jpg

That vehicle originally had the number "21" and had the "1" overpainted with a "0". The paint job has already deteriorated too much to see it unless you have very good pictures.

P.S.: Whoe evr is interested in how many tanks have survived and where they can be found, take a look at this site: http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panzers.html

Ah! Maybe the "0" was applied after the whitewash.

That is possible. I guess the "20" was the company CO's vehicle and he lost it so he took one of his subordinates' rides.

Back
Top Bottom