Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CM Shockforce 2 Coming to Steam (no joke)

Looks like it'll be US$42 on Steam for the base game, since its on sale at that price currently on the BF page (is this the first time they've had a CM title 'on sale'??

And this seems to be the price point for most of Slitherine's 'solid' wargames on Steam (approx AUS$57).....

SF2 price.jpg

Only been around since 2013 aside from discounts on Bundles and CM1 games I think this is the first 'sale'

The last game I bought off of Steam I returned 24 hours later
I basically didn't like the fact that it felt I was renting the game and didnt "own" it.

Just did I quick tour of the Matrix/Steam Combat Mission forums. It seems the Battlefront bashers who haven't played a game since ShockForce 1 or the first release of CMBN are out in force complaining about DRMs and failure to understand difference between a "patch ", an 'upgrade' and which is a 'DLC' geez

The last game I bought off of Steam I returned 24 hours later
I basically didn't like the fact that it felt I was renting the game and didnt "own" it.
You don't own software, even when you buy a physical copy. The license grants you the right to use the software. When you buy a physical copy you are buying the media, the packaging, maybe a manual, and the right to use the software. If you also read the license, software and gaming companies absolve themselves of the risk that their product might jack up your computer. So the license is also a disclaimer that they can't be held liable for screwing up your computer.

Just did I quick tour of the Matrix/Steam Combat Mission forums. It seems the Battlefront bashers who haven't played a game since ShockForce 1 or the first release of CMBN are out in force complaining about DRMs and failure to understand difference between a "patch ", an 'upgrade' and which is a 'DLC' geez
When I started using Steam (2009...?) I was worried about what happens to if the company goes bankrupt. Wouldn't it be better to have your games on physical media? But after a while I was so convinced by ease of use and all, especially multiplayer (if you ever tried playing Duke Nukem 3D with seven other guys in a BNC network via IPX that's something you value) that for quite some time I couldn't be bothered to buy anything that's not on Steam. Also I took a very critical look at the bazillions of Floppy Disks (those were the days), CDs, DVDs and BluRays occupying an increasing amount of my living space and realized that I will never again even touch at least 99% of those.

Theres no real difference between a free patch and a paid upgrade though... apart from one being free and the other costing money. Many companies add fixes and new features through free patches.

Theres no real difference between a free patch and a paid upgrade though...
Ah except BFC defines them differently therefore for their games there is a difference.

apart from one being free and the other costing money. Many companies add fixes and new features through free patches.
That's nice. BFC doesn't do that. They add features at a cost and fix bugs for free. (Note I am sure someone will be tempted to find an example that contradicts this - go ahead a handful of examples of feature added for free does not negate the fact that upgrades took significant feature work and they chose to charge us for that). The fact that they are doing something different from other companies in and of its self does not constitute a rip off. It is fair to say you don't like the price of the new features and feel it is a rip off but it is not fair to label those features with a word you define as something you should get for free and then claim they are ripping you off.

Been messing around after someone pointed it out over on the Battlefront forums, but you can actually use Steam Remote Play to get several people playing CMSF at the same time.

So one person broadcasts the game to the others and with permission they can interact with the game on keyboard and mouse remotely... whether they own the game or not. In theory you could run co-op games, with different players controlling different platoons, or even play in hotseat mode (if you're really trusting!).

Difficulties in getting people online at the same time aside, I think this could open up a lot of interesting options.

I think that could be a LOT of fun. Several players on a side all moving and shooting together.
And they don't need to own the game. What magic is this!? Would that really work?
-
I gave up on CM a while back because of the patching issues I had, plus I've never really cared for CM2 much because of my significant
dislike for many of the features. I gotta say though that I am kind of charmed by what I'm seeing so far with SF2 and just might be
wooed back into the culture with this one.

Last edited:
Ah except BFC defines them differently therefore for their games there is a difference.

That's nice. BFC doesn't do that. They add features at a cost and fix bugs for free. (Note I am sure someone will be tempted to find an example that contradicts this - go ahead a handful of examples of feature added for free does not negate the fact that upgrades took significant feature work and they chose to charge us for that). The fact that they are doing something different from other companies in and of its self does not constitute a rip off. It is fair to say you don't like the price of the new features and feel it is a rip off but it is not fair to label those features with a word you define as something you should get for free and then claim they are ripping you off.

Actually I never said they were ripping anyone off. I was commenting on the "people don't understand the difference between patches and upgrades".

I'm fine with BFC charging for some of their patches. But let's not pretend that they are not patches.

Last edited:
Actually I never said they were ripping anyone off. I was commenting on the "people don't understand the difference between patches and upgrades".

I'm fine with BFC charging for some of their patches. But let's not pretend that they are not patches.

I did not mean to imply that you were making that claim I was talking generically. My mistake. I apologize.

Yeah, I agree a bit. I do agree that people have a hard time understanding. A charitable cause is because it is different than many games. When it is explained most people get it even if they don't like it. There are a few people that seem to be will fully ignoring the explanation. Again I don't mean you but if you read the BFC forum you have seen them.

My comment about people not understanding the difference between patch and upgrade is directed directly at those spreading what I consider misinformation to those who whose only exposure to Battlefront and Combat Mission is an announcement on steam

Those who have actually played are entitled to their own opinions

Back