Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMCW campaign in the works.

Nathangun

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER
This is a campaign idea I've had and after watching a review of 'Crossing the Line: Aachen' a few things clicked into place.

Here is the campaign map, I'm using maps from Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Strom.

5A7qnFz.jpg

In the Flashpoint game each hex is 500 meters, however I attempted to draw this map as a CM battle map:

66BY23N.jpg

and it looked like this after several days (around six days) working on it on and off.

G4qmuNB.png

Then I decided to half the value making each hex 250 meters, which made the map making process quicker and here is the result which I did in an evening.

5eBH98w.png

You may notice in the top image that each formation has it's own colour, each formation HQ has 4 Command Points (this number is not final) where at a cost of CP's you move a unit at a cost of 1 CP and/or request artillery/air support at 2 CP's.
How each campaign turn works is that Player A moves a formation, then Player B moves a formation and so on.
I plan to put this on a Vassal engine, I'm hoping to create some fog of war in this campaign using the Vasal engine, maybe I'll need two modules (one for each side) so ambushes or sneaky flanking attacks can be a thing.
This might not be ready for a month or so.

Last edited:
I went off and had a rethink. I toyed with system with the above map but it would require to much input from players so I came up with this, well until I find a flaw.

Cq9t45z.jpg

The two panels on top represent Action Points (AP's) available to CO's of each formation.
Each AP is for each commander to spend giving movement/attack orders or requesting support from assets.
1 AP is to give movement orders to a single unit.
2 AP to request support from the higher HQ.
4 AP to lead an assault with support from at least one asset ( 3 AP for Soviet units as it's part of their assault doctrine).
1 AP to assign a unit from one HQ to another (1 AP is deducted from the higher command HQ).

It is possible to assign a unit from one formation to another formation, the unit assigned must stay with the HQ it's assigned to.
To start of the campaign, the Soviets place their Recon units on the map at their spawn point at Buttlar plus another formation of their choice, the American/NATO units place their Recon units on any other white hex except the Buttlar one.
Thereafter each side may choose which formation is spawned at the start of each turn.

Notice the terrain chart doesn't have any terrain cost as I think it won't be needed. Units can only from white hex to white hex, however, if the enemy is occupying a white hex it exerts a ZOC (Zone of Control).
So knocking the enemy off the hex to open a route through or sneaking through a gap if it's possible.
All movement must start and end on a white hex.
The stars represent Victory Points, the more stars held at the end of the campaign decides the winner.
The blue and dots on the side of the hex grid are spawn areas for formations to come on the game board, the Soviets only have the one.

Last edited:
I like the Action Point system. I was mulling over something similar for a future CMSF2 idea (yes, the brain does not stop) where I needed a system to govern unit deployments similar to what you describe.

Are the AP's reset each round/turn, or are they for the whole campaign?

So I've built the Vassal engine for the campaign. Download Link

GrV716X.png

So how it works is that each formation HQ has a certain amount of AP's (ACTION POINTS) .
Each unit that is on one of the highlighted hexes, must be given orders.

Vlfp2nS.png

This practice will help myself in building the CM battle, if a delaying action is selected, I exit zone is placed on the map for the defending player.
Assault/Hold Position - I place capture points on the map for both sides to capture/hold.
Probe - Is really a recon in force order, a capture point is placed on the map for the defending player to hold the attacking player is checking out what's there but the defending player doesn't know that. ;)

Place an order on top of the units just moved/placed, and be sure to right click and select 'mask'.

When the campaign starts, make sure the Soviet AP markers are topped up.

cPoiHHB.jpg

AP Costs

Move - 1 AP per unit chit. This moves units two white outlined hexes, the AP points are deducted from the formation HQ, in the example below it's the 3rd Bn HQ.

qZpUIYE.jpg

Assault/Probe - this costs 2 AP's to the attacking formation HQ.

Support assets - 1 AP per support, this brings in CAS and/or artillery support if it's available.

If unavailable they will appear like these.

B9gBdaQ.png
RcsuoYd.png
7JCHJXT.png
rbLEtbf.png

Deploy formation - 1 AP cost to the Higher HQ (in this campaign the 17th GTR and the Blackhorse HQ).
Attach a unit from one formation to another - 1 AP cost to the Higher HQ, both units must be on the same hex or in the holding box before deployment.

The higher HQ's.
QpZ9Zg1.png
UVUjltG.png

When the Soviet AP's are topped up the NATO commander gets to place one formation onto the battle map.

In this example, the NATO commander places B Company in Grusselbach, as he places each of the 'chits' onto the battle map he right clicks and selects 'mask' and then places a 'Delaying' order, which is also masked.

q8xANM1.jpg

We now begin Turn one, the Soviet commander deploys his first formation, 1st Bn 17th GTR and the GTR HQ spends one AP to do so.
Notice that the NATO forces on the battle map are masked to the Soviet player.

fF1lTft.jpg

The 1st Bn 17th GTR HQ orders his formation to move, 1 AP for each unit (3 AP's) to Assault (2 AP's) the NATO position for a total 5 AP's.

ZENdyBR.png

The NATO retreats to the next legal hex still with delaying orders.
The Soviet player declares that the 3rd Bn has finished it's actions and gives it Hold Position orders and then deploys the next formation.

This process goes on till the Soviet Higher HQ can't deploy anymore formations and that each formation has useable AP's left.

Now you might be wondering why the Soviets are the only one that get to move one turn one, lets say that they had the strategic surprise.

Each following turn, NATO gets to deploy/move one formation then the Soviets get to move one formation and so on till both sides pass then the turn marker is moved one square to the right.

Last edited:
Back